Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:53:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core or Knots  (Read 4064 times)
User365 (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

physics, mathematics and engineering

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 04:27:21 PM

I recently found out that my wallet Multibit HD 0.4.1 is considered as buggy and in some cases all Bitcoins stored in it can be lost.

So i did some research and found out more about wallets. I saw only two of the main wallets download the whole network (full bitcoin Client) Source: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
And i think this is waht i want.

Now my question is:
Shall i chose Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin Knots ? It says Bitcoin knots has more features but not as well tested.
Someone has experience with these two wallets and can recommend something, with a statement why he recommends?

Thanks in advance.

[could be your ad]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2017, 04:58:11 PM

Bitcoin Knots is a fork of Bitcoin Core that is maintained almost exclusively by luke-jr. He maintains a few additional features that have either been removed from core or don't exist in core. Knots primarily includes additional features proposed for Core in Pull Requests but have not been merged into Core yet. It is constantly updated with Core codebase so it does have whatever features on core.

Unless you think that you will use any of Knots' additional features, I suggest that you stick with using Core.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 05:22:16 PM

I recently found out that my wallet Multibit HD 0.4.1 is considered as buggy and in some cases all Bitcoins stored in it can be lost.

I hadn't heard this about MultiBit.  Are you sure you heard this from a reliable source?  Can you link to where this has been demonstrated?

So i did some research and found out more about wallets. I saw only two of the main wallets download the whole network (full bitcoin Client) Source: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
And i think this is what i want.

Make sure you have a few hundred gigabytes of storage space available to run it.  Also be aware that after initial install it will take a while to synchronize (anywhere from a few hours to several days depending on your computer system).  Most importantly, make sure you create a backup of your wallet after you install it (and any time you change your password) and store it in a safe place.

Now my question is:
Shall i chose Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin Knots ? It says Bitcoin knots has more features but not as well tested.
Someone has experience with these two wallets and can recommend something, with a statement why he recommends?

You may also want to consider Bitcoin Unlimited. It is currently compatible with Bitcoin Core.  If, in the future, there is a decision to allow larger blocks in the blockchain, Bitcoin Unlimited is already ready to accept them.
bone skully

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 05:25:03 PM

Wallets that download the entire blockchain are very resource intensive. If what you're looking to do is simply transact bitcoin I'd suggest you stick with something other than bitcoin core.
User365 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 06:35:53 PM

I hadn't heard this about MultiBit.  Are you sure you heard this from a reliable source?  Can you link to where this has been demonstrated?

Just look in the Multibit section on bitcointalk, I think 90% of threads are about people who lost their BTC or have other problems with it. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=99.0

Compared to f.e. the Electrum section, where those problems are more or less rare.

To all the others, thanks for the answers Smiley
I thought it was like 50GB for entire block chain, that would be ok for me, but a few hundred GB, i might overthink this desicion  Cheesy

[could be your ad]
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2017, 06:47:32 PM

I thought it was like 50GB for entire block chain, that would be ok for me, but a few hundred GB, i might overthink this desicion  Cheesy
The blockchain is currently ~110 GB in size, so that is the amount of data you would need to download and store. However you can enabled pruning mode which will delete the vast majority of the blockchain on-the-fly to maintain a set number of blocks on disk. By default it will keep the last 288 blocks. Overall, pruning reduces the space used to ~2 GB with no decrease in security. You will still have to download the entire blockchain, but you will not be storing all of it.

User365 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 07:55:50 PM

The blockchain is currently ~110 GB in size, so that is the amount of data you would need to download and store. However you can enabled pruning mode which will delete the vast majority of the blockchain on-the-fly to maintain a set number of blocks on disk. By default it will keep the last 288 blocks. Overall, pruning reduces the space used to ~2 GB with no decrease in security. You will still have to download the entire blockchain, but you will not be storing all of it.

How long does it take till those 288 blocks would be replaced ? I assume it would be good if i would turn on my PC that often, so I always have at least some parts of those last 288 blocks stored ?

[could be your ad]
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2017, 08:03:25 PM

How long does it take till those 288 blocks would be replaced ? I assume it would be good if i would turn on my PC that often, so I always have at least some parts of those last 288 blocks stored ?
288 blocks is ~2 days of blocks.

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
February 26, 2017, 07:10:24 PM

You may also want to consider Bitcoin Unlimited. It is currently compatible with Bitcoin Core.  If, in the future, there is a decision to allow larger blocks in the blockchain, Bitcoin Unlimited is already ready to accept them.

BU nodes got banned because of relaying the block with excessive size

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
User365 (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 05:44:45 PM

BU nodes got banned because of relaying the block with excessive size

Is Bitcoin unlimited a Wallet, or a spcific type of node ?

[could be your ad]
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2017, 05:57:46 PM

Is Bitcoin unlimited a Wallet, or a spcific type of node ?
Both. It is based on Bitcoin Core, so it is a full node. It can also function as a wallet. However BU uses modified consensus rules so there are circumstances where BU built blocks and nodes are incompatible with Core blocks and nodes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: