Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:49:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are transactions within exchanges traceable?  (Read 652 times)
Ferrero (OP)

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:42:52 PM

Hey there guys

I'm wondering if I send funds to an exchange and then withdraw the funds to another wallet, would it be possible to track this?

Thank you for any replies.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:54:30 PM

It is possible to trace by the exchange, of course.

Also people looking at the blockchain will know you send coins to that particular exchange.

robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1203

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2017, 04:17:52 PM

Hey there guys

I'm wondering if I send funds to an exchange and then withdraw the funds to another wallet, would it be possible to track this?

This is an interesting question,people  can always trace where you sent and received your bitcoin but if you receive your coin to another wallet,I don't think they can trace you as the owner,provided that it is not part of your wallets ,so you can send using blockchain and received it via coinbase,I don't think they will know the owner..

█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
████████▄▄█▄▄█▄▄██████████▀██████
█████░░█░░█░░█░░████████████▀████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████████▀██
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████
██░░█░░█░░███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀███████████████████████
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████▄▄▄██████████
████████████████████████
██
██████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀████
██████████████▀▀░░░░████
██████████▀▀░░░▄▀░░▐████
██████▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░░█████
████▄▄░░░▄██▀░░░░░▐█████
████████░█▀░░░░░░░██████
████████▌▐░░▄░░░░▐██████
█████████░▄███▄░░███████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██
███████████████████████
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄█████
██████████████▄██████████
████████████████▄████████
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
████████▄▄█▄▄█▄▄██████████▀██████
█████░░█░░█░░█░░████████████▀████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████████▀██
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████▄▄▄██████████
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6135

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:20:55 PM

You didn't mention the exchange so in general , someone could easily track your coins. Exchanges could however be considered as a mixing service unless you are providing your ID to the exchange , that could lead straight to you. If we are speaking about individuals now , then If you are using the exchange smart and withdrawing to another address that will make things harder. If we are speaking about the exchange Itself then I'm pretty sure they have a database full of all the withdrawal and depositing process and there is no way of misleading them.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:33:35 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 04:47:50 PM by BrewMaster

Hey there guys

who are you trying to hide from?

if it is regular people, then no it is not possible to track this because most exchanges do the same thing as mixers, they mix the funds and your withdrawal will be from another address.

but if it is from the law enforcement, then yes it is traceable. they can easily contact the exchange service and ask then who, when, and where and the exchanges keep a full record.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:42:16 PM

Average Joe will not be able to follow your Bitcoin flow, but the exchange you use will be able to. So will everybody who has access to these date too. But they will be able to link these transactions to the name provided by you (real or fake). And if you used a fake one and think you are safe, then keep in mind that they can follow you tracks after you withdraw/send from the exchange.

Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:56:33 PM

Theoritically, if you have verified your exchange account then all your bitcoin (both deposit and withdraw) addresses are bind to you automatically. So easily find-able when someone queries about your address to the exchange admin through legal systems.

If you are planning for using exchange as a mixing services, I like to say "DO NOT". Use specific services for specific applications. You cannot pre-assume future consequences. Precautions will save thousand dollars.
jacee
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:01:48 PM

Hey there guys

From address to address it is traceable, yes. In exchanges, it depends on what kind of tracking do you mean? Afaik, unlike a normal btc wallet exchange wallets haave their tos which I think it is safe to assume that they do track and keep record of each and every transaction you make while you are using them.
That's mainly why if I use my exchange wallet I use mixers to clean the coi ad make surethat it has no trace of where it comes from specially if it's from gambling or etc . which they don't support. You can try te mixer I use in my sig btw if you want to keep your coins untraceable. Wink
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:17:26 PM

Yes they are traceable that's why the blockchain is a public ledger. Why are you asking in the first place? Do you plan on doing some anonymous transactions?if yes,  Hope it's nothing illegal
wisqo

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:36:12 PM

There are ways around it, and this has been discussed in detail in many posts on this forum. A quick search will yield results. However, the blockchain being a public ledger means basic transactions can be traced and looked up by practically anybody.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2017, 05:42:28 PM

something that has not yet been mentioned is the log-keeping-policy.
the exchanges keep logs of everything, and that includes your deposit address, your withdrawal address, your IP address and all the other information you provide to the exchange service by the time of sign up. which makes tractability easy.

but a mixer promises not to keep logs. if they keep their promise there is not many easy ways of tracking.

--looking for signature--
maydna

Activity: 2926
Merit: 556

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 06:06:31 PM

Hey there guys

maybe i think you want to send fiat to exchange and you buy bitcoin after that you send your bitcoin into another wallet. and if your mean is like this, i think the exchange can trace where is your bitcoin destination because the exchange is hold the data from your depost and how much you bought bitcoin and where you send your bitcoin. so i think its possible to track this as the exchange have all ID from their members so they can easily to trace their customer.

but i don't think that exchange can trace wallet address from one wallet into other wallet because the wallet don't have the name of sender or receiver bitcoin because its only wallet address.
adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 07:15:05 PM

Hey there guys

It can be traced by the people who control the exchange, but it is going to be hard for normal people to trace the transaction. But exchanges can be used for tumbling if you know what you are doing.
If you wish to hide your transactions from tracing, you can use bitcoin mixer services.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2017, 11:50:36 AM

It depends on the amount of information.
If you only know he send amount x to exchange y.. you probably wont be able to trace the coins further if you dont know exactly when he withdrawded his coins..
If you do know the time he/she withdrawed his funds you could start a blockchain analysis.
If you have the information the exchange has.. its easy to trace your transactions..

But if you Mix your coins before and after exchanging.. there is no real trace/connection between those funds.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: