Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:24:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can i transfer my Bitcoin Core balance without waiting for it to sync  (Read 419 times)
Wegency (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:01:07 PM

So i have some bitcoins coming through that i bought off a website, I sent them to my Bitcoin Core Wallet address, I want to transfer my coins to electron or another wallet that requires no download or sync, Is this possible? I don't want to wait 20 more hours for my bitcoins.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:04:53 PM

Technically it is possible.  However, it isn't an easy thing to do.  You'd need to build a raw transaction externally and then use Bitcoin Core to sign and broadcast that transaction.

Another option might be to export the private key from Bitcoin Core and import that private key into another wallet that doesn't need to synchronize.
Wegency (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:11:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, Do you know how i would go about exporting the private key?
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2017, 06:22:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, Do you know how i would go about exporting the private key?
Go to Help > Debug Window and click on the Console tab. Type in the box at the bottom:
Code:
dumpprivkey <address>
where <address> is the Bitcoin address in your wallet for which you want the private keys. Then hit enter. If the command is successful, you should see a string in black that begins with '5', 'K', or 'L'. That string is the private key. Do that for each address which contains Bitcoin.

In Electrum, make a new Electrum wallet. Then go to Wallet > Private keys > Sweep and enter your private keys into the box and follow the instructions. That will sweep the Bitcoin from your Bitcoin Core wallet to your Electrum wallet. Note that it is better to sweep private keys rather than import.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 07:30:52 PM

Go to Help > Debug Window and click on the Console tab. Type in the box at the bottom:
Code:
dumpprivkey <address>
where <address> is the Bitcoin address in your wallet for which you want the private keys. Then hit enter. If the command is successful, you should see a string in black that begins with '5', 'K', or 'L'. That string is the private key. Do that for each address which contains Bitcoin.

In Electrum, make a new Electrum wallet. Then go to Wallet > Private keys > Sweep and enter your private keys into the box and follow the instructions. That will sweep the Bitcoin from your Bitcoin Core wallet to your Electrum wallet. Note that it is better to sweep private keys rather than import.

As an extra note, if you sweep your bitcoins then it is a transaction that takes place so it does cost your a regular TX fee to it.
Normally these are quite small in value though.

If you follow achow's system it'll probably be the fastest and more effective.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: