Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:56:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do I buy and/or install to get started?  (Read 1355 times)
FinShaggy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:07:02 AM

I got a lot of good answers here about how mining WORKS:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=180214.0

Now,
Does anyone have any good info on mining equipment. What different things do you need, and what are the CHEAPEST versions you can get by with, then alternatively, what is the BEST version you can get, 1) with a good amount of money. & separately 2) if money is no object.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
z1ppy

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:14:14 PM

Hello,

I would suggest reading this to get started:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_Hardware_Comparison

Keep in mind the difficulty for BTC mining has increased since ASICs are coming online, so your ability to mine for profit and/or to recover hardware costs may be limited with BTC.

You may consider mining other coins, or purchasing coins outright through an exchange if you're looking to invest.

Best of luck
ManBearPig

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 06:31:41 PM

Hi there, I can't comment on an ideal set-up but I built a new machine yesterday. It's primarily for work but I had gaming and mining at the back of my mind too so included a fairly hefty graphics card.

Processor: i7 3770K
Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
Graphics: HD 7950

This produces about 620 khash/s in high usage mode.

The mining is a bit of fun for me right now, I'll see how much I can get mined during and around actually doing some work Smiley

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:08:25 PM

For bitcoin mining, you have a very small list of priorities: a GPU with lots of SPUs, and a high core overclock on that GPU. Those 2 things are the only thing that count toward hashing. This is why GPUs like 7970 or 7950s are quite popular. Back in the day, 5970s were the shit.

Priorities: (Your money will go here)
GPU - Number of SPUs
GPU - High core overclock
A big, high quality PSU to power as many cards as you purchase. Make sure it's a Single Rail.

Considerations: (Usually non-critical, but can make minor differences)
Motherboard with enough PCIe slots to accommodate all of your GPUs - Riser cables if your MB cannot fit enough GPUs
Driver and SDK - The newest 13.1 seems to be stable for more cards.
Mining program - CGMiner is the best, GUIminer or Bitminter if command lines scare you.
Pool - Choose one with low fee, good uptime, and good support. Eclipse, Bitminter, BTCGuild, or Ozcoin (when they get back online), to name a few.

Irrelevant: (Personal preference / choose the cheapest option available)
GPU Memory bandwidth / speed - underclock your memory as low as it will go to save power / produce less heat
CPU - Any CPU will do
RAM - Anything more than 1-2GB
PCIe bandwidth - Does not affect hashing
Network Bandwidth - Not a big concern
HDD speed for OS - USB drives work fine
OS - Use almost any version of Windows or Linux, preferably something 64bit.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:44:10 PM

And would this be the same for Devcoin mining?

rikazashi

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 12:35:16 PM

I'm very confused as to why a senior member with nearly 300 posts is asking the most basic question possible?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 01:52:31 PM

I'm very confused as to why a senior member with nearly 300 posts is asking the most basic question possible?

"Empty vessels make always the loudest sound; the less virtue, the greater report. Deep rivers pass away in silence ; profound knowledge says little ; but what a murmur and bubbling, yea, sometimes what a roaring, do they make in the shallows ! The full vessel gives you a soft answer, but sound liquor. Samson slew a lion, but he made no words of it: the greatest talkers are the least doers. As when a rabbi, little learned, and less modest, usurped all the discourse at table; one much admiring him, asked his friend in private, whether he did not take such a man for a great scholar: to whom he plainly answered, For aught I know he may be learned, but I never heard learning make such a noise."
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:10:21 PM

And would this be the same for Devcoin mining?
I was too, until I looked at his last posts. They're all in devcoin threads in the alt-coins section. Dude really seems interested in that particular alt-coin.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 04:46:53 PM

I know plenty about coins, but I won't have enough money to mine for another month.

DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:44:26 PM

"Empty vessels make always the loudest sound; the less virtue, the greater report. Deep rivers pass away in silence ; profound knowledge says little ; but what a murmur and bubbling, yea, sometimes what a roaring, do they make in the shallows ! The full vessel gives you a soft answer, but sound liquor. Samson slew a lion, but he made no words of it: the greatest talkers are the least doers. As when a rabbi, little learned, and less modest, usurped all the discourse at table; one much admiring him, asked his friend in private, whether he did not take such a man for a great scholar: to whom he plainly answered, For aught I know he may be learned, but I never heard learning make such a noise."

post no credit?

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
MashRinx

Activity: 389

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:18:03 AM

As C8s reminded me in another thread not too long ago, post-count doesn't necessarily mean anything.  It MAY though, so consider the source.  This being said, I have found that C8s has consistently good information to add to any thread he chooses to post in,  and kudos to the OP for asking a question to which they did not know the answer:  Devcoin is SHA-256 based like Bitcoin is, so the same general config should apply.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 06:02:24 PM

As C8s reminded me in another thread not too long ago, post-count doesn't necessarily mean anything.  It MAY though, so consider the source.  This being said, I have found that C8s has consistently good information to add to any thread he chooses to post in,  and kudos to the OP for asking a question to which they did not know the answer:  Devcoin is SHA-256 based like Bitcoin is, so the same general config should apply.

Thank you Smiley

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:57:19 PM

OS - Use almost any version of Windows or Linux, preferably something 64bit.

why preferably 64 bit?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: