Bitcoin Forum
May 19, 2024, 12:07:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't hate me too much, but I think litecoin is superior to bitcoin  (Read 3417 times)
jasonjm (OP)

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:28:55 AM

I am new to the whole scene, been using both for a few months now.

Why i think litecoin is better - in order of importance, and all in my opinion:

1) much faster transaction times, much much faster
2) litecoins are not nearly as concentrated in such a few hands as far as i can tell from my short research.
3) harder to mine litecoins with ASICS (never say never, it will one day be done, but they will be slower ASICS compared to bitcoin), therefore mining should hopefully stay more distributed to the general public instead of a few heavy hitters.

comments?

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:30:02 AM

2) litecoins are not nearly as concentrated in such a few hands as far as i can tell from my short research.
3) harder to mine litecoins with ASICS (never say never, it will one day be done, but they will be slower ASICS compared to bitcoin), therefore mining should hopefully stay more distributed to the general public instead of a few heavy hitters.

comments?

Where's the litecoin sports books?

jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:32:05 AM

I am not making the argument that litecoin is as accepted as bitcoin, because it clearly is not even close

What I am saying is I think it is superior for the above reasons.

Bitcoin is the 1st and therefore has the head start out of the gates.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:35:18 AM

I'm all for currency competition Cheesy Don't see why we can't have both Litecoin and Bitcoin, what I don't want to see is paper money still being widely used in the next few years, I do think there are problems with Bitcoin compared to Litecoin but they'll either get fixed or something even better will come along.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:38:40 AM

The only issue here is the blockchain increases in size and bandwith 4 times faster

No idea about this one?

Incorrect, because GPU's have a hard time with scrypt, a dedicated ASIC will create a larger gulf between ASIC and GPU, and if Litecoin becomes profitable enough to create ASIC, they will come.

---------

Apart from that I do like Litecoin, I should buy some more maybe.
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:40:14 AM

comments?
1) is faster really better? is one fast confirmation in LTC as 'safe' as one confirmation in bitcoin?
2) Not a function of the coin
3) Same was said about gpu mining, if it is worth it to build an asic, an asic will be built, and there is no reason to think it will be slower than a bitcoin asic

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:44:12 AM

The replies show that the OP hit a nerve! Smiley

I agree with the OP, but only on the basis that every following altcoin is going to be better than bitcoin in some way - or there would be no point in creating it!

My money for a real difference is PPCoin, but maybe someone will bring out an altcoin with every sensible advantage of everycoin and that is the one that goes to $10000!

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:45:31 AM

comments?

(1) isn't true.  You need so much work burying your transaction for it to be "confirmed" - i.e. have a desired probability that it will not be reversed.  This isn't measured by number of blocks, but time and total network hash rate, and Bitcoin has a _much_ higher hash rate.

(2) clearly isn't true either, as there are _many_ more bitcoin users currently.

Regarding (3), there are advantages to requiring miners to use specialized, single-purpose machinery.  Dissuading botnet mining is one.  Another is that it makes miners have more "skin in the game", causing them to care about the health of the network that much more - their mining equipment becomes worthless in the event of failure of the mining algorithm.

Edit: by "failure of the mining algorithm" I mean an attacker obtaining a significant majority of the hashing power.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:46:49 AM

I though litecoin algo was much more ram intensive, so whilest building an ASIC for litecoin is possible, it would be much more costly, and not quite as quick because of the ram requirements?

█████████████████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:56:20 AM

Can people stop talking about transaction time, when they are clearly meaning Confirmation time.

That's a misunderstanding we really have to work at.

Transactions are basically instant (in the order of seconds) in both Bitcoin and Litecoin and are faster as every other System available.

What you mean is confirmation time. The Time until your transaction is basically impossible to charegeback or be in anyway fraudulent.

Guess what, with a credit card this time frame is about 180 days. Yet I have never been asked anywhere to wait this 180 days until my transaction is "confirmed".

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:59:41 AM

yes confirmation time

what are the odds of a transaction being reversed in bitcoin or litecoin?

lets say you accept a transaction from someone with zero confirmations, but you can see the transaction....

what can go wrong at this point?

can a transaction be faked? ie I am guessing you really do need to wait for one confirmation at least?

what are the odds of someone being able to fake a transaction that somehow manages to get one confirmation?

█████████████████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:00:41 AM

That advantage is largely illusory. Transaction times are not faster. Only Confirmation time is faster.

However, it's not the number of confirmations that matters for double spending protection. It's the cumulative difficulty of confirmations.

If you decrease the time between confirmations by a factor of 4, you need 4 times as many confirmations for the same double spending security.

The only situation where Litecoin offers a speed advantage is a high trust scenario where merchants only require 1 confirmation  for minimal security, and where the security provided by 1 confirmation greatly exceeds the security they require, but at the same time 0 confirmations is not secure enough.

Such situations are rare.

As for the slow confirmation times of zero fee transactions, Litecoin would suffer from the same problem if it had similar volumes to Bitcoin.

Doesn't bother me. I think that people like Satoshi, Gavin, and Mike Hearn deserve every penny of their wealth.

Litecoiners are profiting from their work.

I agree, but this is both an advantage and disadvantage.  

Too centralized, and mining can be corrupted by monopolies.  Too democratic, and mining can be corrupted by social engineering.  I'm not sure whether Bitcoin, Litecoin, or ppcoin strikes the right balance.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:19:02 AM

Heh, for what it's worth, I'm not a millionaire or anything. Probably neither is Gavin given his comments about diversifying out of Bitcoin. Maybe Satoshi is, if he were to sell Smiley

It's not quite true that if you quarter block intervals you need 4x as many blocks to get the same security. I used to think that too, but the maths don't work out that way because blocks form a Poisson distribution. Our resident mathematician Meni Rosenfeld wrote a paper that tries to explain this here: https://bitcoil.co.il/Doublespend.pdf  - but basically 4 blocks in 10 minutes gives you more security than 1 4x harder block in 10 minutes.

Now that said, Akka is exactly right that the 10 minute interval is somewhat misleading. The real competition is credit cards which settle far, far slower. So why 10 minutes and not 2.5, well, it was a tradeoff between wasted work and block propagation speeds. Imagine a future where Bitcoin is very busy and the network is very wide and blocks are very large (and we have an optimised protocol, but still). Let's say it takes 1 minute for a block to globally propagate. This is sort of similar to how quickly BGP propagates and the BGP mesh is a comparable very large broadcast network. So now you waste 10% of all your work due to chain splits. With a 2.5 minute interval you're wasting nearly half your total work!
virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:38:41 AM

I have some litecoins and I consider it a good experiment.
However some negative points about litecoin:
- they are too many litecoins and it is not so well suited to conserve value like bitcoin
- litecoin is overvalued at the moment probably because many frustrated bitcoin miner(asic related) went to litecoin mining and many buyer forget that now 8x more litecoins are produced than bitcoins
- litecoin is wasting much more energy than bitcoin with mining (asic mining is more energy efficient)
- attacks against the litecoin network is more easy with bot-net or Google-cluster systems
Especially bot-net attack are very dangerous because the attacker doesn't need to reveal his identity and it is not necessary to have his own network. An asic 51% attack like in bitcoin is less likely because it needs a high investiture and the attacker needs to reveal his identity.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 09:45:15 AM

yes confirmation time

what are the odds of a transaction being reversed in bitcoin or litecoin?

lets say you accept a transaction from someone with zero confirmations, but you can see the transaction....

what can go wrong at this point?

can a transaction be faked? ie I am guessing you really do need to wait for one confirmation at least?

what are the odds of someone being able to fake a transaction that somehow manages to get one confirmation?
In other words, you have no idea what the risks are or what it takes for a transaction to be reasonably considered irreversible, yet you have the opinion that Litecoin does this faster than Bitcoin, specifically "much much faster". Does that sum things up? An uninformed opinion is not of very much value.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Hei_

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:45:24 AM

That advantage is largely illusory. Transaction times are not faster. Only Confirmation time is faster.

However, it's not the number of confirmations that matters for double spending protection. It's the cumulative difficulty of confirmations.

If you decrease the time between confirmations by a factor of 4, you need 4 times as many confirmations for the same double spending security.

The only situation where Litecoin offers a speed advantage is a high trust scenario where merchants only require 1 confirmation  for minimal security, and where the security provided by 1 confirmation greatly exceeds the security they require, but at the same time 0 confirmations is not secure enough.

Such situations are rare.

As for the slow confirmation times of zero fee transactions, Litecoin would suffer from the same problem if it had similar volumes to Bitcoin.

Doesn't bother me. I think that people like Satoshi, Gavin, and Mike Hearn deserve every penny of their wealth.

Litecoiners are profiting from their work.

I agree, but this is both an advantage and disadvantage.  

Too centralized, and mining can be corrupted by monopolies.  Too democratic, and mining can be corrupted by social engineering.  I'm not sure whether Bitcoin, Litecoin, or ppcoin strikes the right balance.

+1
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:58:24 AM

Remember bitcoin can adopt faster block times.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:58:47 AM

Remember bitcoin can adopt faster block times.

no.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
amincd

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:59:15 AM

It can technically do any thing, if there is community support for it.
amincd

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:14:03 AM

Imagine a future where Bitcoin is very busy and the network is very wide and blocks are very large (and we have an optimised protocol, but still). Let's say it takes 1 minute for a block to globally propagate. This is sort of similar to how quickly BGP propagates and the BGP mesh is a comparable very large broadcast network. So now you waste 10% of all your work due to chain splits. With a 2.5 minute interval you're wasting nearly half your total work!

Does propagation time increase linearly with block size? If so, wouldn't the larger block size of more infrequent blocks result in just as much propagation time as a portion of the time between blocks?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: