Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:37:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who could be trusted to do governance?  (Read 3365 times)
iamnotback (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 07:52:41 PM

@dinofelis you are very smart (and probably more knowledgeable than me about many things), but (regarding your prior two replies) you have some huge blind spots. Absolutely huge. I could drive an 18 wheeler through your blindspots and you wouldn't even know it.

Sorry I am not up for the tit-for-tat debate right now (very eager, but I know the limits of my scarce available time+energy and priorities). But we'll engage someday...

Hopefully as my delirium fades, I'll think of a way to elucidate to you more convincingly and concisely. As I said, being re-enabled to assimilate more information will help.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 08:15:43 PM

@dinofelis you are very smart (and probably more knowledgeable than me about many things), but you have some huge blind spots. Absolutely huge. I could drive an 18 wheeler through your blindspots and you wouldn't even know it.

Most probably.  I won't deny this.  I would like to discover them.  However, you might make the mistake to confuse my "utopic view of how the world should be" , my "theory of how the world is" and "what I'm interested in about this world".  These are 3 totally different, and almost unrelated things, and it is true that from one post to another, I jump between these paradigms.

As you wrote somewhere else, you think that I think that we will get rid of government in one generation.  No, I don't think that.  I think it would be a good thing, but it will not happen.  I think government is an unavoidable, but absolute, evil.  However, my idea is that KNOWING that government is fundamentally evil is a good thing.  I think that the best one could do, is make people see that government is the absolute evil.  But this will not work for most, and I know that, because people are gullible - which is exactly the reason why government can exist in the first place.  I'm absolutely convinced, however, that no good can come from any form of government ; that said, there are governments which are less worse than others, in the sense that some forms of government allow people who understand the system, from not being entirely enslaved, crushed and annihilated by it.  I think that that corner is the niche for "distributed/crypto/...".  But by far most gullible people (90% or more of the population) like to be enslaved, are too naive to understand that they are crushed, and cannot be annihilated because there's nothing to annihilate ; and are hence happy collaborators of the government.  They don't need "distributed", or "crypto".  They are all too happy to be part of the system.  They are hierarchical animals, they already started their loss of individuality and are becoming another species, while the 10% or less of us are individuals.  The hierarchical animals are simply another, dominant, species.  So there is simply no hope for individuals to be the dominant species.  We are like the mammals during the Jurassic epoch: the best we can do is live underground, in the shadow of the dinosaurs.  This is where crypto can help.   We want to live as if we were invisible, ignored by the dominant dinosaurs, only come out at night, and hide underground.  It is the only place where individual freedom can hide.  But hey, the mammals survived the mesozoic era !  So, anonymous, discrete, invisible, unknown, "in-existent", the only way to live freely.

In my case, that is sufficient.  My only goal in life, apart from enjoying it, is to understand as much of the world as I can.  This is something that can be achieved in an anonymous, discrete, invisible, and unknown way.  Unfortunately, there are material and other needs that must be filled in, and unfortunately, those expose you to the dangers of recognition, visibility, and hence, all the hatred, theft and violence that goes with the dominant, government-believing species.  Some interaction is difficult to avoid. 
iamnotback (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 11:16:46 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2017, 05:59:02 AM by iamnotback

@dinofelis regarding our discussion of the utility of Bitcoin:

Cryptocurrency offers more utility than gold can ever imagine

The only purpose of metals as currency is to remove counter party risk while also satisfying a few other traits of money such as divisibility, durability, portability, fungibility, etc.  Bitcoin doesn't actually remove counter party risk at all.  It's also not fungible and any crypto that's not fungible is a permissioned ledger by default.  Nor is it a valid store of generational wealth like gold and silver because the entire thing can just blow up at random.  

Therefore, the only thing bitcoin really does better is portability and a bit better granularity (with the added inconvenience of giant technical burden).  In current state you have to be flat out lying to say bitcoin beats gold and silver as money.  It's clearly inferior and there is no evidence that relationship will change anytime soon (beyond wild claims by Anonymintcoin).  Bitcoin is only a currency and gold and silver are money; there's a big difference.

The market is telling you that Bitcoin is the reserve currency of the experimentation that will unleash all that utility that crypto-currency and blockchains can do which precious metals never can. Bitcoin is now at parity with gold. The pattern of Android below is what crypto is going to do relative to precious metals:

He is like 3-4 years behind any decent competition

dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 08:07:58 AM

@dinofelis regarding our discussion of the utility of Bitcoin:

Cryptocurrency offers more utility than gold can ever imagine

The only purpose of metals as currency is to remove counter party risk while also satisfying a few other traits of money such as divisibility, durability, portability, fungibility, etc.  Bitcoin doesn't actually remove counter party risk at all.  It's also not fungible and any crypto that's not fungible is a permissioned ledger by default.  Nor is it a valid store of generational wealth like gold and silver because the entire thing can just blow up at random.  

Therefore, the only thing bitcoin really does better is portability and a bit better granularity (with the added inconvenience of giant technical burden).  In current state you have to be flat out lying to say bitcoin beats gold and silver as money.  It's clearly inferior and there is no evidence that relationship will change anytime soon (beyond wild claims by Anonymintcoin).  Bitcoin is only a currency and gold and silver are money; there's a big difference.

The market is telling you that Bitcoin is the reserve currency of the experimentation that will unleash all that utility that crypto-currency and blockchains can do which precious metals never can. Bitcoin is now at parity with gold.

Hell, how can you write that ?  Arbitrary choice of units, comparing 1/16 000 000 of market cap (a "bitcoin", vs mbitcoin, satoshi...) with one ounce of gold (why not a kg, a tonne, ...), which represents grossly 1/ 10^10 of the total amount of gold.  At this moment, bitcoin is less than 1/1000 of gold, and we're counting all lost coins in.  Probably the true market cap of bitcoin is closer to half of the official 16 million coins.  There's Satoshi's lost stash, there are a lot of lost address keys (especially in the beginning of bitcoin)...

It is amazing that you contradict your own prediction, which was brilliant, now that it is being realized: the scalocalypse.  It is happening right under our nose now.  So this will delegate bitcoin to the status of reserve currency for BIG PLAYERS (which are, most of the time, conservative dudes).

The pattern of Android below is what crypto is going to do relative to precious metals:

Android has no scaling problem.  I would rather say that in as much as this comparison is valid, you are looking at the evolution of alt coins, which are what android is like: many different flavours of the same idea.
iamnotback (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 12:03:20 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2017, 12:24:00 PM by iamnotback

Hell, how can you write that ?  Arbitrary choice of units, comparing 1/16 000 000 of market cap

Most above ground gold never trades nor created. All Bitcoin has been traded or created within the past 8 years.

I wrote precious metals, and r0ach has been pitching silver, so compare the volatility of silver to Bitcoin (roughly the same).

https://btcvol.info/
http://teucrium.com/files/pdf/commoditiesinaportfolio.pdf

It is amazing that you contradict your own prediction, which was brilliant, now that it is being realized: the scalocalypse.

No contradiction. I never predicted the scalepocalypse would mean anything other than what it means technically and the centralization of mining.

Bitcoin isn't going to the moon and will die and give away to something better just as will happen to Android, but not before move much higher in value.

The pattern of Android below is what crypto is going to do relative to precious metals:

Android has no scaling problem.  I would rather say that in as much as this comparison is valid, you are looking at the evolution of alt coins, which are what android is like: many different flavours of the same idea.

Exactly. And Bitcoin is the reserve currency of altcoins.

Roach read http://unenumerated.blogspot.ca/2016/02/two-malthusian-scares.html?m=1#links

We are in the offloading gold stage by elite.. oil producers are buying by converting from oil.. malthusian event is over and commodities are set to collapse lagging behind gold. Now where oh where the heck is smart money going to start putting their money over the next decade in anticipation of industrial usage actually catching up and producing the next malthusian event? Hint its sure as hell not back into gold.. as that would not.be very smart

Excellent post. Plays right into the theme of my Rise of Knowledge, Demise of Finance essay.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: