Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:37:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerusalem Post: Bitcoin is for terrorism  (Read 4266 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:13:29 PM

Government is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most governments cross the line.
One way you can test whether your syllogism is valid or complete nonsense is to replace the object addressed by it with other similar ones and see if the reasoning still holds.

What happens when you replace "government", which you identify as an evil, with other evils? Does the concept of "necessary evil" make any sense at all?

Rape is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most rapists cross the line.
Child abuse is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most abusers cross the line.
Murder is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most murders cross the line.

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:28:46 PM

Government is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most governments cross the line.
One way you can test whether your syllogism is valid or complete nonsense is to replace the object addressed by it with other similar ones and see if the reasoning still holds.

What happens when you replace "government", which you identify as an evil, with other evils? Does the concept of "necessary evil" make any sense at all?

Rape is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most rapists cross the line.
Child abuse is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most abusers cross the line.
Murder is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most murders cross the line.

You could be a political speech writer, your examples with substituted words sounds just like something I heard on TV the other day.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:37:49 PM

How about dentist/doctor? It may hurt a little there and then, but you'll be better off in the long run if you visit them from time to time.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:39:15 PM

How about dentist/doctor?
Insert it into the same pattern and see if it makes sense. I imagine it will fall apart in the very first sentence.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:42:57 PM

How about dentist/doctor? It may hurt a little there and then, but you'll be better off in the long run if you visit them from time to time.

Evil is the genesis block of government. Healing is the genesis block of medicine.
btcmind

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:07:51 PM

If they do it its terrorism, if the states do it, it's noble defense. If you're North Korean and US stealth bombers are flying over your head, your perspective might be different. If you're Iranian you know about the 1953 coup d'état by BP. and so on. If HSBC or Starbucks is doing money laundering that's just second nature. But if people use the same tools, that's the end of the world.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:19:05 PM

Insert it into the same pattern and see if it makes sense. I imagine it will fall apart in the very first sentence.

Cutting in people is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most doctors cross the line

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:24:19 PM

Cutting in people is an evil, but it is a necessary evil. That being said, I do think most doctors cross the line

+1 Exactly my point.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:27:47 PM

Rape is an evil, but it is NOT a necessary evil. That being said, rapists cross the line.

Government is a necessary evil, rape, murder and child abuse are not.

In a perfect world, there would be no evil, however, the government is (in theory) a substitute for the evils they are supposed to prevent. It doesn't quite work that way, but as much as I try to think of how anarchy could work: It just can't (unless other evils cease to exist) .

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 08:42:11 PM

This thread has so much potential for....
FML, I can't wait...  Cheesy
So the Israeli terrorists (state-backed terrorists) are saying that Bitcoin can be used by non-state-backed terrorists, and are therefore bad?

Sweet.

/thread

I agree that the article is outrageous, anything can be used for crime, but explain how the Israelis are terrorists? They get murdered by Nazis and finally get (back) a homeland (that they used to own) and since then have been bombed, missiled, invaded, kidnapped, etc. Sure, like any nation they have made mistakes, I'm no Isrealophile, but I'm not sure that their largely (maybe overzealous) self-defense is terrorism.

Their homeland? Weren't the Palestines living their at the time. I sincerely dislike nation states in general, but Israel tops the list. In my eyes Israel today is like Nazi Germany is 1940.

I can't believe it took that long.

rbgrish

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:51:49 PM

I dont think wheteher you feel for or against Israel is the point. I bet Israel and Iran would unite in an article critical of Bitcoin. The point is most every article and evey mention on tv about bitcoin seems to present only the most negative of its possibilities. Should we all establish second identities and start at least e-mailing those orginaztions back with the positive side of the story.
virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:58:56 PM

Everybody should use bitcoin instead of fiat, Jewish and Arabic, Americans, Russians, Chinese, black and white.
If the governments cannot take any more the money of the people they cannot finance wars and it will be peace.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 09:09:53 PM

I try to think of how anarchy could work: It just can't (unless other evils cease to exist) .

What if I told you those "evils" exist because the government enables them to exist?  For example: is killing evil?  Perhaps.  If someone goes on a killing spree and the police have to gun him down, is killing still wrong?  I don't know.  However, the government declares that killing is evil by labeling it "murder".  Thus, citizens cannot "murder", but the government can kill.  That's not a necessary evil; it's simply enabling evil.

The only necessary evil in this world is we, the people.  The government is nothing more than a proxy for us to pretend the evil we commit (for example, outlawing marijuana, thus making drug dealers evil) is acceptable.

And then we have to define evil:

e·vil  
/ˈēvəl/
Adjective
Profoundly immoral and malevolent.
Noun
Profound immorality, wickedness, and depravity, esp. when regarded as a supernatural force.

Because that which is "moral" and that which is "malevolent" are completely up to the individual (specifically, up to cultures,) it is absurd to believe the government has any role in deciding what is evil and what isn't on a global scale.  After all, if the government is a necessary evil (which nobody can really define as evilness is not a universal concept, but a local one), would the government not commit evil acts and enable others to commit evil acts?  Thus, to rid the world of evil (again, a personal interpretation,) you rid the monopoly on security.  Even if you don't believe that anarchism couldn't work, could you imagine a world where people have the right to decide from the comfort of their homes which governments they follow?  As opposed to being forced into one government, a national government, in which you have no choice but to participate in or uproot yourself and find another government to live in (which is undoubtedly similar to the American government, or considerably worse e.g. state communism.)

But on the point of "necessary evil": if we cannot define what is evil and what isn't, and if that definition cannot always be consistent, it is better to adopt another term.  I don't believe the government is necessary, or evil.  I do, however, disagree with much that the government does, and many things governments love to do, such as wage war, are downright "evil".  These "evils" occur because 1% of the world controls 99% of people.  We should strive for a 1:1 ratio, where, on average, a single person will have as much power for a single person's life, their own.  To say anarchism cannot work because you don't see how it could work is a good start; at least you're not outright saying it's impossible.

TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 09:27:09 PM

I've added a new thread for anyone interested in the original subject rather than middle-east politics in general.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=181739.0

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 09:46:04 PM

So the Israeli terrorists (state-backed terrorists) are saying that Bitcoin can be used by non-state-backed terrorists, and are therefore bad?

Sweet.

I agree that the article is outrageous, anything can be used for crime, but explain how the Israelis are terrorists? They get murdered by Nazis and finally get (back) a homeland (that they used to own) and since then have been bombed, missiled, invaded, kidnapped, etc. Sure, like any nation they have made mistakes, I'm no Isrealophile, but I'm not sure that their largely (maybe overzealous) self-defense is terrorism.

In psychology a victim of say, bullying often becomes the bully. Here do we see parts of Israel treating surviving traders with the same suspicion the Nazis treated Jewish bankers in particular prior to WW1?

Bitcoin has a very poor representation in terrorist areas at the moment (why?). The speculation is very possible but has no basis. Shame on them - yet more terrible PR for Jews and Israel.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 09:53:02 PM

Terrorists don't need Bitcoin they can threaten or bribe bank employees in the 3rd world to accept wire transfers for them and launder money. If you're a criminal group of thugs armed to the teeth and don't at all care about prison or even death why would some silly finance regulations prevent you from getting money. If you have cells in N. America that need "activation" through funding they can just buy a card magstripe writer from Ebay, receive the ATM card dump via encrypted email, make the card themselves and withdraw all the terrorist money they want.

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:46:30 PM

explain how the Israelis are terrorists?

Israel has a state.  You don't keep your people in line by telling them they can do whatever they want.  You strike fear in their little hearts by telling them if they do something you don't like, you'll throw them in jail.

You disguise this as being for their own good; you make killing illegal, even if it won't stop killing.  You make thievery illegal, even if it won't stop thieving.  You then introduce the idea of treason, to ensure nobody will question your rule.  Then, when you have these pieces in play, you have the sanction of God to kill whomever you need to by labeling them terrorists.  This is all, of course, extremely violent, and if it isn't violent, it's the promise of violence (otherwise known as intimidation.)

ter·ror·ism 
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
Yes, this does mean all governments incite terror in their people.  Thus, Israel, as a nation with a state, are terrorists.

Thanks Mike, an excellent explanation.

I was referring more to Israeli terrorism in specific - i.e. claiming to want a two-state solution when every action says otherwise, "de-arabizing" Israel by destroying mosques and monuments, cordoning off Palestinians into safe zones, bulldozing Palestinian settlements (often leaving their prior inhabitants homeless) to build new Israeli settlements, Israeli soldiers beating Palestinian children in the streets, and, of course, waiting until the exact minute that classes change in Palestine (so thousands of children are out on the streets) to start a bombing raid. Much of this funded by the U.S.
Miko Peled ("The General's Son") talks about growing up in Israel and having no idea of the atrocities being committed on the Palestinian people until much later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOaxAckFCuQ

However, you did a great job explaining the broader view of terrorism/state violence, and of course our friend Stef does an extraordinary job outlining these principles in some of his writings: http://www.freedomainradio.com/FreeBooks.aspx
(And it is worth noting that he accepts bitcoins on his website Grin

Does anyone remember that children's book, "Give a Mouse a Cookie..." ? It's the same way with nation-states. The first page of the book goes something like ... "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk."
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:03:05 AM

I dont think wheteher you feel for or against Israel is the point. I bet Israel and Iran would unite in an article critical of Bitcoin. The point is most every article and evey mention on tv about bitcoin seems to present only the most negative of its possibilities. Should we all establish second identities and start at least e-mailing those orginaztions back with the positive side of the story.

+1 Better yet, keep doing what we're doing: build legitimate business, keep our real identities and prove we are real, normal, non-shady people.

Razick
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:59:52 AM

explain how the Israelis are terrorists?

Israel has a state.  You don't keep your people in line by telling them they can do whatever they want.  You strike fear in their little hearts by telling them if they do something you don't like, you'll throw them in jail.

You disguise this as being for their own good; you make killing illegal, even if it won't stop killing.  You make thievery illegal, even if it won't stop thieving.  You then introduce the idea of treason, to ensure nobody will question your rule.  Then, when you have these pieces in play, you have the sanction of God to kill whomever you need to by labeling them terrorists.  This is all, of course, extremely violent, and if it isn't violent, it's the promise of violence (otherwise known as intimidation.)

ter·ror·ism 
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
Yes, this does mean all governments incite terror in their people.  Thus, Israel, as a nation with a state, are terrorists.

Thanks Mike, an excellent explanation.

I was referring more to Israeli terrorism in specific - i.e. claiming to want a two-state solution when every action says otherwise, "de-arabizing" Israel by destroying mosques and monuments, cordoning off Palestinians into safe zones, bulldozing Palestinian settlements (often leaving their prior inhabitants homeless) to build new Israeli settlements, Israeli soldiers beating Palestinian children in the streets, and, of course, waiting until the exact minute that classes change in Palestine (so thousands of children are out on the streets) to start a bombing raid. Much of this funded by the U.S.
Miko Peled ("The General's Son") talks about growing up in Israel and having no idea of the atrocities being committed on the Palestinian people until much later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOaxAckFCuQ

However, you did a great job explaining the broader view of terrorism/state violence, and of course our friend Stef does an extraordinary job outlining these principles in some of his writings: http://www.freedomainradio.com/FreeBooks.aspx
(And it is worth noting that he accepts bitcoins on his website Grin

Does anyone remember that children's book, "Give a Mouse a Cookie..." ? It's the same way with nation-states. The first page of the book goes something like ... "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk."

This is going to sound politically incorrect, but the entire middle east is made of big-government, Islamic, theocratic states. Jews are not given any sort of freedom in that area, not to mention they are a hated (and were before this whole thing with Isreal) minority there. Given the huge amounts of land owned by Islamic theocracies, I sympathize with the Jews claiming a small parcel of land for themselves.

Also, much of that territory was gained after they were attacked at some point or other.

Evolvo

Activity: 528

Tokens That Store Virtual Energy

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 03:45:30 AM

Groan..not this stupid map again.  I don't know how we're getting into this on a Bitcoin forum but that map is such nonsense I feel compelled to address it.

The first map in the series of four is most egregious. It suggests that, in 1946, nearly all of the land between the Jordan and the Mediterranean was "Palestinian." Land designated as "Jewish" in this map constitutes maybe five percent of the total. This map is ridiculous, not only because the term "Palestinian" in 1946 referred, generally speaking, to the Jews who lived in Palestine, not the Arabs, but because there was no Palestine in 1946 (nor was there an Israel.) There was only the British Mandate. Jews lived throughout the territory then occupied by the British, including, by the way, on land that today constitutes the West Bank (though in 1946 Jews did not live in Hebron; they were expelled in 1929, after an Arab massacre of Jewish religious scholars). The intent of this propaganda map is to suggest that an Arab country called "Palestine" existed in 1946 and was driven from existence by Jewish imperialists. Not only was there no such country as "Palestine" in 1946, there has never been a country called Palestine. Before the British conquered Jerusalem, Palestine was a sub-province of the Ottoman Empire. (And after the British left, of course, Jordan and Egypt moved in to occupy Gaza and the West Bank.) It could also be pointed out that even if the map was relabeled "Jewish" and "Arab" land, it would still be a lie. The white parts show only the privately owned Jewish land, but the green part does not represent privately owned Arab land - it simply shows everything else. In fact, over 75% of the land in 1946 was publicly owned, and all of that land within the Green Line became Israeli after the War of Independence.

The next map in the series is a rendering of the U.N. Partition Plan, which would have divided the British mandate into two equal parts, one part for Arabs and one part for Jews. But this neglects to mention that the Jews accepted this partition of Palestine, and that the Arabs rejected it. When Israel declared independence, the Arabs sought to physically eliminate the U.N.-supported Jewish state, but, to their chagrin, they failed. All that happens today flows from the original Arab decision to reject totally the idea that Jews are deserving of a state in part of their historic homeland.

The green sections of the third map do not show "Palestinian" land at all either, as there was no Palestine and the West Bank was annexed by Jordan - with full approval of the leaders of Palestinian Arabs - and Gaza was controlled by Egypt.

The fourth map is equally misleading in that it misrepresents which areas are under Palestinian control.
It also fails to mention that a very large percentage of the Arabs in pre-Israel Palestine had moved there due to the development of the local economy and land by Zionists around the turn of the century. Obviously not all...but substantial enough to mention which of course it never is.

Also, about 95% or more of the "refugees" actually fled their land willingly out of the urging of the Arab Legion, fear of being caught in the crossfire of the invading Arab armies, or fears of being massacred by Jews due to rumors being spread. This insinuation that unarmed Palestinians were driven off their land is just incredibly misleading and historically inaccurate. It does a disservice to the legitimate points made by gun owners regarding their rights.

This is really misleading mis-framing of the conversation that drives this false narrative......Jews (mostly secular) came in and bought up land legally in a place where no country existed, they developed it and the local economy...and built the foundations of a state before any Partition plan...the entitlement has been on the side of the local Arab population which insists that even land not lived on, used, or part of any country is by definition Arab land the moment the Jews build something on it. It should be noted as well that in the initial PLO charter the Palestinians said "we make no claim upon the West Bank or Gaza...it is not our land".....only when the Jews took control of those regions in a defensive war did they decide they wanted those lands...and that their previous identities as Egyptian, Syrian, Iraqi Arabs would now be exchanged for Palestinian identities and they began inventing their own history and spreading it throughout the world

Bottom line, this lying manipulative nonsense needs to be called out for what it is. Complete and utter propaganda with no reflection on actual history. If you want to have an intelligent conversation about present Israeli policy then there is plenty of room for disagreement. But make sure to investigate the truth in something before reposting it. Because in this day and age...people seem to believe any emotionally manipulative graphic someone puts up on the internet. Facts, people, facts.

Кpиптoвaлютный фoнд "Pyбyc" - https://rubus.fund/partner/273
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: