Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:07:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New computer  (Read 899 times)
ravenator22 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2017, 05:02:44 PM

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Bitcoin Core 0.13.2
Operating System: Win10

I'm buying new computer. I'm wondering how can I transfer my wallet to new computer
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6114

View Profile
February 26, 2017, 05:05:03 PM

Everything should be stored in your AppData folder (It's mostly the wallet.dat what you need). %appdata%/Bitcoin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4613

View Profile
February 26, 2017, 06:24:54 PM

I'm buying new computer. I'm wondering how can I transfer my wallet to new computer

You have a backup, right?

If you don't have a backup...
CREATE A BACKUP NOW!!!!

You should never use bitcoin without having at least one secure backup.  You risk permanent loss of your money.

IF you do have a backup, then you can recover your backup on your new computer.  The backup won't know that it is a new computer.  That is the purpose of a backup (recovering your wallet when your old one is gone).
nemgun

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 08:09:11 AM

You can do this easily :

1- win+r and type %appdata%
2- find bitcoin folder
3- copy wallet.dat to a usb stick
4- open your new computer
5- download bitcoin-qt
6- launch and then close it
7- redo step 1
8- paste wallet.dat from usb stick to bitcoin folder ( you can errase the present wallet.dat as it is an empty wallet)
9- launch bitcoin-qt and wait for him to download the blockchain
OPTIONAL:

If you are in a hurry, add prune=500 in bitcoin.conf, this way you will sync it quickly but only with the last 500 blocks (i guess)
BigBoom3599

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:57:52 AM

If you are in a hurry, add prune=500 in bitcoin.conf, this way you will sync it quickly but only with the last 500 blocks (i guess)
Pruning will not make the client sync faster, it still downloads and verifies all blocks upto the newest. What it does do is decrease the amount of harddrive space needed.
nemgun

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 09:59:35 AM

Reducing the size of the blockchain means reducing the syncing time, and i have been told by moderators, in other threads, that you can prune the blockchain based on the number of last blocks you want to download, or, by timestamp. It means that sync time is reduced, and, blockchain size is reduced. but as it is a computer i don't think he will be bothered by 100 gb.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 12:49:01 PM

Reducing the size of the blockchain means reducing the syncing time,

Pruning does not reduce the size of the blockchain.  It just reduces how much of the blockchain you keep.

and i have been told by moderators, in other threads, that you can prune the blockchain

Yes.

based on the number of last blocks you want to download,

No.  Not based on the number of blocks you want to download.  You still need to download ALL the blocks.  Pruning just reduces the number of blocks you keep stored on your computer.

It means that sync time is reduced,

No.  You still have to sync the whole blockchain.

and, blockchain size is reduced.

No.  You just keep less of it when you are dons with the sync.

nemgun

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 03:05:42 PM

Then regarding what you say, pruning is useless. And i must refresh my knowledge about all of this, could you please explain the aim of a pruned blockchain ? and also, what is SPV node maid for ? can it be a solution to speed-up the blockchain syncing even with lower amount of blocks ?
BigBoom3599

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 03:25:51 PM

Then regarding what you say, pruning is useless. And i must refresh my knowledge about all of this, could you please explain the aim of a pruned blockchain ? and also, what is SPV node maid for ? can it be a solution to speed-up the blockchain syncing even with lower amount of blocks ?
The goal of pruning is to decrease hard drive usage so that you don't have to have the whole blockchain (100gb) downloaded. SPV clients are clients that don't have to download the whole blockchain because they connect with a public node, thus they don't have to sync. This can be useful for low power devices such as phones or when you don't want to download the whole chain.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 04:09:26 PM

could you please explain the aim of a pruned blockchain?

Seriously?

You're joking, right?

Are you just posting nonsense to try and increase your post count for your signature ad campaign?

Your question has now been answered three times in this thread...

- snip -
What it does do is decrease the amount of harddrive space needed.

- snip -
Pruning just reduces the number of blocks you keep stored on your computer.
- snip -

- snip -
The goal of pruning is to decrease hard drive usage so that you don't have to have the whole blockchain (100gb) downloaded stored.
- snip -

and also, what is SPV node made for?

SPV means Simplified Payment Verification.

https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
8. Simplified Payment Verification
. . . A user only needs to keep a copy of the block headers of the longest proof-of-work chain, which he can get by querying network nodes until he's convinced he has the longest chain,  . . . He can't check the transaction for himself, but by linking it to a place in the chain, he can see that a network node has accepted it, and blocks added after it further confirm the network has accepted it. . . . the verification is reliable as long as honest nodes control the network, but is more vulnerable if the network is overpowered by an attacker.

It allows the wallet to identify confirmed payments by trusting other full nodes on the network instead of validating every transaction itself.  As such, it doesn't need to store (or sync) the blockchain.  It relies on other full nodes on the network to do that.

can it be a solution to speed-up the blockchain syncing even with lower amount of blocks ?

SPV is much faster than a full node because it doesn't sync the blockchain.  It just needs the headers.
nemgun

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 06:30:24 PM

Thanks for the details, but you shouldn't get angry a question like that, and no i am not posting to raise my post count, the altcoin section is made for that if i really wanted to do this.
I really try to help people there, i just shared the informations i got in the forum. You shouldn't talk like that.
I don't really know the difference because so many people there says different things about it, and no "blog" or website answers the question in such a direct way, they just copy/paste technical details they grab from different sources.
Thanks for the informations.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 06:40:30 PM

You have good answers already. So I'll put it in theoretical terms. All you need is your "wallet.dat" file. That file contains the private keys needed to spend bitcoin from an address it controls. Never ever lose this file or you are sunk. If you install bitcoin core on any machine it will look for this file in the bitcoin folder. If it's there it will be used if not it will create this file. When you put your backup wallet.dat file in it's place that one will be used. It's all about the wallet.dat file.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:06:05 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 06:59:42 PM by HI-TEC99

Everything should be stored in your AppData folder (It's mostly the wallet.dat what you need). %appdata%/Bitcoin

The code above is incorrect, the backslash is slanting the wrong way.

Click the windows start button, then copy and paste the line of text below into the search box that appears, then press the enter key to open the folder containing your wallet.dat file.

%appdata%\Bitcoin

This is what your search box should look like after you have copied and pasted the line above into it.

Backup the wallet.dat file, it's all you need to secure your Bitcoins.

If you want to avoid a long wait for your wallet to sync on your new computer, then also copy the entire contents of the folder containing your wallet.dat file into the equivalent folder on your new computer. That will transfer your copy of the blockchain into your new computer's wallet, and make syncing your new wallet much faster.
teeneffigy

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:28:02 PM

You can do this easily :

1- win+r and type %appdata%
2- find bitcoin folder
3- copy wallet.dat to a usb stick
4- open your new computer
5- download bitcoin-qt
6- launch and then close it
7- redo step 1
8- paste wallet.dat from usb stick to bitcoin folder ( you can errase the present wallet.dat as it is an empty wallet)
9- launch bitcoin-qt and wait for him to download the blockchain
OPTIONAL:

I would do these steps but instead of just copying wallet.dat I would copy the entire bitcoin folder and put it on your new computer. I think you'll need at least a 32Gb memory stick to do this.

This will save you days of syncing.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 09:53:00 PM

I would do these steps but instead of just copying wallet.dat I would copy the entire bitcoin folder and put it on your new computer. I think you'll need at least a 32Gb memory stick to do this.

This will save you days of syncing.

this.

don't make it more complicated than it is.  just copy your entire folder over.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: