Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 08:47:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [FIXED] PPcoin wallet error - Thanks Sunny King  (Read 1343 times)
SRoulette (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 01:59:46 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 09:48:07 AM by SRoulette

I recently tried to migrate a wallet from cold storage to a fresh install after downloading the blockchain.
Unfortunately this error now pops up, I have pm'ed Sunny King for advice, just posting here for future reference in case anyone else experiences the same issue.

I have tried the -rescan option but same error, I have also tried deleting the directory, creating an empty %appdata%/ppcoin and copying in the wallet.dat same error Sad

Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:54:25 PM

First make sure you didn't use a wallet from another altcoin.

Next try redownload block chain with the backup wallet. Remove all files and subdirectories in ppcoin data directory except for the wallet file and ppcoin.conf, and restart ppcoin. Try older backup wallet if this fails as well.

Wallet files are supported through all the old versions. Even if it was from v0.1 there is no change in wallet format.

If there is really a serious corruption with the wallet file, it most likely can still dump out the keys using external tools. But before we get to that please first try the above.
SRoulette (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 02:04:12 AM

First make sure you didn't use a wallet from another altcoin.

Next try redownload block chain with the backup wallet. Remove all files and subdirectories in ppcoin data directory except for the wallet file and ppcoin.conf, and restart ppcoin. Try older backup wallet if this fails as well.

Wallet files are supported through all the old versions. Even if it was from v0.1 there is no change in wallet format.

If there is really a serious corruption with the wallet file, it most likely can still dump out the keys using external tools. But before we get to that please first try the above.

Done and Done but to no avail.

Is there a tool to extract the priv keys directly from the wallet.dat without ppcoind running ?

Thanks for your help Sunny Smiley

We also have an older backup of the wallet, this one does not crash ppcoin-qt but it shows 10'000 tx's and a 0 balance.
So this is our fall back if we cannot extract the priv keys from the latest wallet. I will extract the priv keys from this wallet, reimport to a new wallet and retry.

Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:10:16 AM

Try this modified pywallet to dump out the keys from your wallet backup.

https://github.com/ppcoin/pywallet

Usage:
python pywallet.py --dumpwallet --datadir=<absolute_path_to_backup> [--password=<password>]
SmokeyJR

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:45:59 AM

are you on a 32bit vs 64bit computer?
SRoulette (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 03:15:27 AM

My original test/mining pc was a windows 7 64 bit install, now I use a windows XP 32bit machine for testing.

Trying pywallet again now, thanks Sunny.

SRoulette (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 04:00:15 AM

the offline dump of my corrupted wallet.dat appears to have worked. 

Im importing all the keys now using a modified version of monkeys wallet_tool.pl which he hacked up to parse the json output of pywallet Cheesy
So handy having a script monkey on standby, manually importing all these keys would be an nightmare Tongue

SRoulette (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:51:44 AM

monkeys wallet_tool.pl may not be fast at importing private keys when you are on a 2.5" ide disk and importing over 2000 but it does the job Smiley
~2 days later and it just started importing privkey number 2000 then.

When the GUI can update Im catching glimpses of the balance, currently it shows a positive balance which is slowly but steadily increasing Smiley

Thanks so much for your help Sunny, the version of pywallet you provided did a perfect job of dumping the private keys while the wallet was offline, something wallet_tool.pl is not able to do.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: