Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 03:45:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Charity now accepting bitcoin and ripple.  (Read 1731 times)
plummonkey (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:25:33 PM

I run a small charity aimed at helping protect a pristine stretch of African Coast. We are now accepting bitcoin and ripple, for obvious reasons... thanks for your support.

http://savemozambique.org
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:43:26 PM

What is your real name?
Joshster

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:18:57 PM

Supply us with your full name and details and you will get people to donate, someone collecting for charity has no reason to be anonymous.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:23:50 PM

Registered for 2 years now. Could be more legit than 100% of the other charities.

Domain ID:D163778369-LROR
Domain Name:SAVEMOZAMBIQUE.ORG
Created On:04-Nov-2011 03:39:42 UTC
Last Updated On:11-Dec-2012 06:51:53 UTC
Expiration Date:04-Nov-2014 03:39:42 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
Registrant ID:tufDZ9V84EhcT7Du
Registrant Name:ELI LANG
Registrant Organization:ELI LANG
Registrant Street1:po box 738
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:woodacre
Registrant State/Province:CA
Registrant Postal Code:94973
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.4154887977
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:@gmail.com
Admin ID:tuEqOtOQwAOEKumE
Admin Name:ELI LANG
Admin Organization:ELI LANG
Admin Street1:po box 738
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:woodacre
Admin State/Province:CA
Admin Postal Code:94973
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.4154887977
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:@gmail.com
Tech ID:tu4uWdAxZvwPAH8H
Tech Name:ELI LANG
Tech Organization:ELI LANG
Tech Street1:po box 738
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:woodacre
Tech State/Province:CA
Tech Postal Code:94973
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.4154887977
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:@gmail.com
Name Server:NS21.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
Name Server:NS22.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
plummonkey (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:41:06 PM

ya, its real, small scale, trying to raise money, currently its a side project, but funds will go towards environmental projects in Mozambique.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:45:10 PM

I run a small charity aimed at helping protect a pristine stretch of African Coast. We are now accepting bitcoin and ripple, for obvious reasons... thanks for your support.

do you understand the fundamental reason why you have this ecological disaster? If you answer correctly than i might just donate =).

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
plummonkey (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:56:57 PM

do you understand the fundamental reason why you have this ecological disaster? If you answer correctly than i might just donate =).

Greed.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:57:53 PM

Greed.

sorry i was looking for "the tragedy of the commons" =(

see wikipedia if this is the first you have heard of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

understanding the root cause of these environmental problems will help you to direct resources more efficiently so please do check it out!

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
plummonkey (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:23:52 PM

Greed.

see wikipedia if this is the first you have heard of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

understanding the root cause of these environmental problems will help you to direct resources more efficiently so please do check it out!

the tragedy of the commons is human greed, just a fancy phrase for it. the issue with the world today is self-interest can be fulfilled in the form of corporation, and therefore the interest of few can have massive effect on many. Im not so interested in the fate of humans, but i am interested in the fate of the natural world, the wild places that are left.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:19:21 PM

the tragedy of the commons is human greed, just a fancy phrase for it. the issue with the world today is self-interest can be fulfilled in the form of corporation, and therefore the interest of few can have massive effect on many. Im not so interested in the fate of humans, but i am interested in the fate of the natural world, the wild places that are left.

Beautifully said. I sent you 11 USD.
plummonkey (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:59:22 PM

Thanks so much SD, I will pm you with updates and let you know how we are doing... our targets are Chinese Factory boats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_ship that allow hundreds of thousands of tons of shark, fish and other marine life to be caught killed and turned into a salable product right as sea. previously we have sabotaged these vessels by finding and repositioning the GPS locators that allow them to find their nets and long lines.  Short term goal is to raise money to help the Mozambique government fight this poaching, in a more legally binding way.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4533

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:05:09 PM

all charity requests should go through bitcoin100 as they are good at weeding out proper charities.

well i know its supposedly about marine life but something smells fishy..
especially when the guy is registered in USA promoting an african scheme with:
no charity number
no other methods of accepting donations such as wire transfer credit/debit card.

looks to much like someone made a cheap free website 2 months ago to troll for free bitcoins.

not only the fact that the only donation method is crypto currencies which a true charity would never limit themselves to, but also the total donations bar on the page $4k does not tally with:
https://blockchain.info/address/1P8g1R2n4jyYa2jRhE931gvAqwxZdA8PxR

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
plummonkey (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:15:48 PM

all charity requests should go through bitcoin100 as they are good at weeding out proper charities.

no charity number
no other methods of accepting donations such as wire transfer credit/debit card.

looks to much like someone made a cheap free website 2 months ago to troll for free bitcoins.

not only the fact that the only donation method is crypto currencies which a true charity would never limit themselves to, but also the total donations bar on the page $4k does not tally with:

Hey, not trying to be fishy... i also accept paypal on my site ( the big donate button ) . like I said before, this is a side project, money im putting aside to help, I now live in California, but lived in east Africa for 4 years. I have connections there and plan on using the money for good. my website is shitty, i admit, but my intentions are good.

for crypto here is a total:  https://ripple.com/graph/#rh2MVx3eRCFuMXv5xqnf9b1N8wgqn2iuXJ, sd was my second bitcoin donation...
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:28:44 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 09:41:30 PM by franky1

no charity number

Hey, not trying to be fishy... i also accept paypal on my site ( the big donate button ) . like I said before, this is a side project, money im putting aside to help, I now live in California, but lived in east Africa for 4 years. I have connections there and plan on using the money for good. my website is shitty, i admit, but my intentions are good.

for crypto here is a total:  https://ripple.com/graph/#rh2MVx3eRCFuMXv5xqnf9b1N8wgqn2iuXJ, sd was my second bitcoin donation...

still doesnt amount to $4k, still no charity number, still no website history before February 2013.

seems you bought a dead domain name. that had no content on it before February.

thanks for playing the game. but next time atleast act like a charity and have it registered and using standard charitiy wording and payment methods. you failed on many points and suggest no one donates to this obvious fake appeal.

goodluck in life. feel free to return when you have some actual charity brochures, registration numbers, information factsheets and not just googled/wiki'd your info to look like you are well established and knowledgable about what is going on in africa.

it might also be worth joining greenpeace to avoid the headaches of setting up a legit charity if your heart is in the right place, as they do what your scam site proposes to do.

then you can have greenpeace accepting bitcoins. knowing that some actual work in the country will be done.

goodluck, thanks for the laughs, bye

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:50:17 PM

Greed.

i understand that human greed is the fuel for the tragedy of the commons. It still wasnt good enough of an answer to get my money. It was too vague and not useful since there is no clear way to cause people to stop wanting to maximize self interest. If im going to send money to charity i want it to use my money in a way that will have a positive impact, if you spent it attempting to "convince" people to stop being greedy I would consider that a waste.

What you can do that would be useful is influence the creation of legal rules that create positive incentives to maintain the environment. As an example if you own property than you will be interested in practicing sustainable growing techniques like replanting trees when you cut down an existing tree. Not because you are altruistic but because this maintains the value of your property and clear cutting destroys the value of your property. Where as if land is owned by the state than there is not incentive for people to engage in such sustainable practices since the cost of their actions are born by the society at large instead of they the perpetrators of their actions.

Hopefully you can see how this applies to the sea and the devastation caused by fishing vessels. Something i see as the true ecological disaster people should be talking about as i it were as serious as they believe global warming is.

plummonkey (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:51:43 PM

no charity number

for crypto here is a total:  https://ripple.com/graph/#rh2MVx3eRCFuMXv5xqnf9b1N8wgqn2iuXJ, sd was my second bitcoin donation...

still doesnt amount to $4k, still no charity number, still no website history before February 2013.

seems you bought a dead domain name. that had no content on it before February.

thanks for playing the game. but next time atleast act like a charity and have it registered and using standard charitiy wording and payment methods. you failed on many points and suggest no one donates to this obvious fake appeal.

goodluck in life. feel free to return when you have some actual charity brochures, registration numbers, information factsheets and not just googled/wiki'd your info to look like you are well established and knowledgable about what is going on in africa.

jeeze, why so much mistrust? im kinda new to bitcoin, and I know your community has had more than its share of scams, bad press and problems. anyway, not trying to steal from anyone, just thought it would be a good way to raise money... i bought the domain years ago. i do need to get more organized, print brochures and such, it will all come with time, starting an .org is time consuming, i'm doing what I can.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:07:03 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 10:27:45 PM by franky1

starting a .org is the least of your issues.

a charities involves a board of trustee's, director,  treasurer, secretary.
just to get a charity registration number for a international project such as what your site "portrays"

seriously join greenpeace as you.. a single person will just spend the money and none of it will get used helping the ecology of the waterlife of africa.

10k dollars is not much. thats only enough to cover flights to africa, a hotel room for a few weeks and a couple boat hires.

thats not charity. thats a free vacation.

now join greenpace if your heart is in the right place and do it right.

and just for laughs i thought i would dox ya..

seems your a graphics designer and you are one of the developers involved with ripple.... ha ha ha.. such a shame thats all lies as i know who the real developers are.

www.elilang.com

oops hang on you supposedly:
kinda new to bitcoin,

and by the way i see in 2009 when you went on vacation to Zanzibar.

need me to dig any deeper? or will you give up this failed attempt to grab free crypto coin

plummonkey (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:28:12 PM

starting a .org is the least of your issues.

a charities involves a board of trustee's, director,  treasurer, secretary.
just to get a charity registration number for a international project such as what your site "portrays"

seriously join greenpeace as you.. a single person will just spend the money and none of it will get used helping the ecology of the waterlife of africa.

10k dollars is not much. thats only enough to cover flights to africa, a hotel room for a few weeks and a couple boat hires.

thats not charity. thats a free vacation.

now join greenpace if your heart is in the right place and do it right

Actually the way to help africa, and to help charitable causes in general is to do it yourself. Standing outside a mall and trying to get people to sign a piece of paper is not helping the environment.  I cant tell you the hundreas of thousands of dollars I watch being pissed away by large international organizations trying to "help" in Africa. Those charities give a fraction of a cent for each dolor earned. you know how many new, empty school building I saw in africa? you know how many red cross employees I saw in 4 star resorts? the way to help a cause is to find people that you trust and enable them to do good.  people on this forum have no reason to trust me, i understand that, but i have good people in africa I know and trust, and Im trying to enable them.

10k is a tiny amount, but i am confidant I can do more with 10 k that greenpeace can do with 100k
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:40:28 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 10:50:36 PM by franky1

by joining greenpeace you can get the pennies from them to support your cause aswell as human foot soldiers that actually are in the african waters that know and deal with the issues involved. then add your donations fund ontop to help the cause and trust me, ud be more powerful then just having junk change to afford your own 2 week vacation

but i do agree people sitting in their comfortable homes in america (you) asking for money is not what i call charity.

i also agree that most charities waste their money. EG one guy buying a plane ticket booking a hotel room, boat hire, etc is not really itself helping the ecology.

but joining the teams of people already in africa who have contacts and knowledge of the area to get things changed is alot more powerful then just enjoying a few weeks of taking picture on a boat to add to your blog website.

now give up the charade. if your heart is truly motivated enough then you will see where your failings are and you would be part of the change that is needed when it comes to charities.. not becoming yet another money grabber just to cover your own expenses just to visit another country.

one hint.. mozambique government cannot change the laws of chinese fishermen that fish in international waters.. point your mind toward chinese governments to change how their fishermen work.. and i might start believing you know what your talking about and have atleast a half assed plan on how to effectively use the money. greenpeace are already in mozambique waters helping to uphold the regulations they helped develop to protect the waters... but to change things, talking to chinese government to change their laws is whats needed next then the chinese fishermen will change and leave mozambique waters alone.

here learn something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XGTMdIfz3o
(not one scene involves a guy standing at a mall with a donations form)

now id appreciate the moderators lock this thread and move it to off topic or even scam accusations

plummonkey (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 11:01:13 PM

by joining greenpeace you can get the pennies from them to support your cause aswell as human foot soldiers that actually are in the african waters that know and deal with the issues involved. then add your donations fund ontop to help the cause and trust me, ud be more powerful then just having junk change to afford your own 2 week vacation

but i do agree people sitting in their comfortable homes in america (you) asking for money is not what i call charity.

i also agree that most charities waste their money. EG one guy buying a plane ticket booking a hotel room, boat hire, etc is not really itself helping the ecology.

but joining the teams of people already in africa who have contacts and knowledge of the area to get things changed is alot more powerful then just enjoying a few weeks of taking picture on a boat to add to your blog website.

now give up the charade. if your heart is truly motivated enough then you will see where your failings are and you would be part of the change that is needed when it comes to charities.. not becoming yet another money grabber just to cover your own expenses just to visit another country.

one hint.. mozambique government cannot change the laws of chinese fishermen that fish in international waters.. point your mind toward chinese governments to change how their fishermen work.. and i might start believing you know what your talking about and have atleast a half assed plan on how to effectively use the money. greenpeace are already in mozambique waters helping to uphold the regulations they helped develop to protect the waters... but to change things, talking to chinese government to change their laws is whats needed next then the chinese fishermen will change and leave mozambique waters alone.

here learn something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XGTMdIfz3o
(not one scene involves a guy standing at a mall with a donations form)

now id appreciate the moderators lock this thread and move it to off topic or even scam accusations

I understand you are protecting your friends and community members, you are doing what you think is right. I do what i think is right. to you its a money grab, to me its trying to help out a place i love. anyway, im over it... good luck franky, no hard feelings.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: