Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:08:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printing bitcoins?  (Read 1185 times)
ctech (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:32:59 PM

Can anyone think of a way to print bitcoin on paper and trade them just like a paper currency?
I know that is a tough one...
Maybe a bank that issues paper against bitcoins, as in not backed by gold but backed by bitcoins? a ugly solution...
There is a way you can print stamps out on your printer and have the post office accept them.....

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitVapes

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 10:35:16 PM

check out bitbills, they encode bitcoin onto a physical card

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
Tarion

Activity: 224
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:37:25 PM

Thats possible with a trusted third party that handles the printing of the money. You can trade "paper" for bitcoins and allow others to change it back. Why not. Just be sure that nobody can fake your paper.
InstaGx

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:42:18 PM

Thats possible with a trusted third party that handles the printing of the money. You can trade "paper" for bitcoins and allow others to change it back. Why not. Just be sure that nobody can fake your paper.

It would obviously use a "digitally" signed transaction. Something like a redeem code or a cheque.

Buy High - Sell Low
beersforbitcoins

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:51:14 PM

My question then is what does Bitbills QR code lead to? Is it just an encoded private key? Or is it a link to a website where you download the appropriate wallet?

Would a digital bitbill be possible? It clearly displays a public key, and the bitbill can either be plugged in or connect to wifi to check the balance of that address. This balance is then displayed. To get the balance off of that device, you have to break it and get the private key out of some sort of internal storage. Even if it's in a small SSD and written out on a piece of paper as a backup.

Essentially I want an impenetrable physical savings account, which I can also access if need be. This to me is the best of both worlds of cash and BTC.

If you make this idea and become a billionaire off it, please feel free to send me a few BTC.
1KFHjGDFTHPrGhR6zXfGXZ4D4UBm1dX6UK
ctech (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:36:45 PM

BitBills is great just checked them out, but a perfect solution would be if anyone could just print them....
samablog

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 01:41:21 AM

A perfect solution would enable you to materialize physical bitcoin and vaporize them at will.  Bitbills does a good job of it, but I think you can only load the Bitbill by buying straight from them. And once you've taken the bitcoins out of the bill, there's no reloading it. Best solution would be some tinynpiecemof electronics, but that may be too expensive compared to the paper Bitbills solution.
tehcodez

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 01:44:55 AM

Lol

If bitbills don't work for you, be patient. Once you get "the mark," btc will be uploaded straight to your dome, or your hand.
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:08:50 AM

BitBills is great just checked them out, but a perfect solution would be if anyone could just print them....
The issue is that there would be no way to verify that the printed bitcoin (aka address/wallet) indeed DOES have the funds it is supposed to represent.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
mg101

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:22:26 AM

If people started printing btc, it would effectively become 'real' currency in the eyes of big brother.

And then, I think they'd start working a lot harder on getting rid of btc - something none of us want
gideon g

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:54:54 AM

You need access to the internet and the bitcoin network to ensure that coins aren't being double-spent.  Besides, there's no actual "coins" per se, it's just a big distributed list of addresses and balances.

You could print a private key from a bitcoin wallet and hand it to someone, but they'd need to spend the coins from it immediately, since they don't know who else might have had access to it.  The BitBills concept is the best we're likely to get for physical bitcoins.
muc

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 04:29:27 AM

check out bitbills, they encode bitcoin onto a physical card

i tried to google bitbills but all that comes up is pitbulls
gideon g

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:38:34 AM