Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:54:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GFX card and PSU upgrade...  (Read 500 times)
lankyman (OP)

Activity: 382
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 12:39:15 AM

HI, so i currently have an AOPEN AX500-A power supply it says 460 Watt and 500 Watt peak.
I have tried sites like Jonyguru but i really find it very unfriendly. I typed in a couple of power supplies i am looking for and it doesn't find results.

I currently have the MSI A88X G43 motherboard with AMD Athlon X4 860K and 16GB ram at 1866 but for the love it me it only runs at 1333 i really cant believe this with today's technology, you pay so much for this stuff and its always
compatibility issues- I have actually forced my bios to recognize it as a 1866 frequency memory , not sure how this makes a difference or if it even does, i would imagine the best is if the bloody thing was recognized in the first place..... and finally have an amazing TOP of the range GTX650.

Bear in in mind 8 months ago i was still on Socket 939 with DDR1 memory and a 9800 GT....and maybe 10 month before that i was on Athlon XP 2500+ with AGP 7800. Top of the range.

My question is coming, but i am trying to give the details of what my experiences are and what i want to get to , please.
I would like to get a better PSU such as a 550Watt but then somebody told me rather get a better one like a 600 or 650 or even 700/750 Watt.

Only problem is that i am limited here with what i can get for my money.

I would really appreciate it somebody can assist me in finding one or narrowing down from what i have found.

If i could just find a simple site where you can compare PSUs side by side then it will make it easier for me.

so first off i reckon getting a good warranty would be great BUT if you guys reckon the item is so good it doesn't even need
Warranty , then ill take your word for me.

I have found these of the following which i can afford. My price range is around 1000 to 1500 Rand which is ZAR (www.xe.com)

www.takealot.co.za and www.loot.co.za are the only sites i can buy from in this scenario.

I have found these PSUs to be interesting.. I reckon i should go more than 600 Watts , so would 650 do it OR should u really go as high as 700 + :

http://www.takealot.com/cooler-master-gm750w-80-modular-power-supply-black/PLID34186400 (seems like a lot of cash for me)
Maybe this is a better option, i dont think i am a nerd enough to argue why i need modular... i guess semi modular is also very nice.
http://www.takealot.com/cooler-master-vangaurd-v750-series-750w-semi-modular-power-suppl/PLID34188986
http://www.takealot.com/aerocool-650w-vx-power-supply/PLID41402611
http://www.takealot.com/antec-vp700p-700w-power-supply/PLID41397459
http://www.takealot.com/fsp-aurum-s-700watt-power-supply/PLID41165566
http://www.takealot.com/aerocool-650w-vx-power-supply/PLID41402611
for me 1500 rand is really alot of money for me but if you guys reckon it is important to have a good PSU i guess i need to byte the bullet. I was actually going to originally buy a graphics card like an RX460....

I do have future plans to get 2x RX470 graphics cards by Power Color.
I have noticed that there are a few mixed reviews on how much wattage you should have for x amount of graphics cards.

Anyways if you guys can assist me in please find a decent power supply from the list above AND HOPEFULLY it is a vital component for the PC to run efficiently ?

Appreciate you going through the list of the PSUs i found above....
I reckon for me, getting 8pin and 6 pin PCI-e, is essential as apparently you do not want to play with Molex to 6/8 pin connectors so i was told.
I wanted to ask the experts online like you guys in this community, thanks.

I would like to be running 2 graphics cards in my system with possibly a 3rd and 4th in future using PCI Risers,
I just cant afford to buy and make a mistake.... perhaps i need to get a decent 500 Watt or maybe the one i have ia already fine and it is just about me finding another gfx card now to insert in to another old Intel 775 i have... its very very slow though it does have a PCI-E slot. I also have my ancient X2 4400+ socket 939 motherboard which i can put a card in to ?

Then again do i really want to run 3 machines and waste power, where i can just run one which more newer technology (my current one)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rotors

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 11:02:25 AM

Try to ger good 700/750W PSU possibly with gold 80+ certificate. it wlll last you many years. Instead of chaining it every 2nd year.
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 07:15:43 PM

Try to ger good 700/750W PSU possibly with gold 80+ certificate. it wlll last you many years. Instead of chaining it every 2nd year.

Thanks for the advise, can you also tell me if you agree with my narrowed down choices:

http://www.takealot.com/cooler-master-vangaurd-v750-series-750w-semi-modular-power-suppl/PLID34188986
I wanted the Corsair  modular i think it is 650 watts.... something tells me to get a 700 watt in case...

Then these 2 below, they seem good BUT i would like to know from you please and everybody else on here:

Appreciate the feedback
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 07:25:38 PM

Regarding the PSU you can never go wrong with Corsair brand. If you want to run maximum 4 cards for mining (in my example I considering 4 x RX 480 Gpu-s you need a good 800-850 watt) the HX 850 from Corsair which is gold certified should do the job perfectly without any hiccups.

As for the Gpu-s it depends on what do you want to mine. If you like mining Nvidia friendly algorithms you have to go with 2-3 Nvidia GTX 1070 or 4 GTX 1060 at least, buy them one by one. Zcash ,Lbry and Pascal coins are the most friendly algorithms to mine with such cards.

If you need a in general mining different altcoins for the moment go as I already said with 4 RX 480 GPU-s . Soon RX 490 will be with us so that must be a good choice of course.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 07:52:05 PM

Regarding the PSU you can never go wrong with Corsair brand. If you want to run maximum 4 cards for mining (in my example I considering 4 x RX 480 Gpu-s you need a good 800-850 watt) the HX 850 from Corsair which is gold certified should do the job perfectly without any hiccups.

As for the Gpu-s it depends on what do you want to mine. If you like mining Nvidia friendly algorithms you have to go with 2-3 Nvidia GTX 1070 or 4 GTX 1060 at least, buy them one by one. Zcash ,Lbry and Pascal coins are the most friendly algorithms to mine with such cards.

If you need a in general mining different altcoins for the moment go as I already said with 4 RX 480 GPU-s . Soon RX 490 will be with us so that must be a good choice of course.

Doubt the RX490 is coming anytime soon, and it would be awesome to drop the RX480 prices down.
I would not even consider nVidia ever again at this point in time when the RX470/RX480s are great price-performing cards, at least what i have heard and seen.
I cant really understand graphs o websites anymore i dont know how real they are

If you can verify and help me with my choices of the power supplies which i can choose, then please, thanks.
My limitations of brand and sub brand are only in this list:   

There was a Corsair one i think VS or CX but it is only 650 Watt.

Please guys help me to choose between those listed OR anything u see between 1000-2000 Rand on the www.loot.co.za  www.takealot.co.za  sites. Please

Cereberus
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 08:09:05 PM

Then go with the Cooler Master Vangaurd 750watt semi modular as it looks it is gold certified 80 which is great and can hold up to 4 RX 480 not easily but should be able to do it great if you add a processor which consumes very little like i3 6100 only 47watt, use SSD and RAM ddr 4 together 10 watt and a good motherboard like MSI with 60 watt maximum power consumption.

So let's conclude, 4 X RX 480 at full power are 600 watt + 47 watt processor + SSD,RAM 10 watt+ 60 watt motherboard.
In total we have 717 watt at full power.

Yes this PSU can be your ideal choice for the price you are asking, only if you fulfill the other requirements I have told, keeping low power consumption components for your build.

Remember that while the GPU-s will be in full power, the other components in the stats of mining are not being consumed to their full power so again I think this is a safe bet for you the Cooler Master Vangaurd 750

Hope I helped a bit.

Check with the site as it says maximum output capacity for this is only 450 watt which is not enough but I think must be an error as I checked other reviews in google and all are saying this can hold up to 4 gpus easily.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 08:15:25 PM

Then go with the Cooler Master Vangaurd 750watt semi modular as it looks it is gold certified 80 which is great and can hold up to 4 RX 480 not easily but should be able to do it great if you add a processor which consumes very little like i3 6100 only 47watt, use SSD and RAM ddr 4 together 10 watt and a good motherboard like MSI with 60 watt maximum power consumption.

So let's conclude, 4 X RX 480 at full power are 600 watt + 47 watt processor + SSD,RAM 10 watt+ 60 watt motherboard.

Yes this PSU can be your ideal choice for the price you are asking, only if you fulfill the other requirements I have told, keeping low power consumption components for your build.

Remember that while the GPU-s will be in full power, the other components in the stats of mining are not being consumed to their full power so again I think this is a safe bet for you the Cooler Master Vangaurd 750

Hope I helped a bit.

dude listen to this, this guy who lives up the road from me, dont know why BUT he has a decent Radeon 7,,,,, something and its proper i have seen it it has like 2 power connectors, its Saphire.
He has 2 blu-ray players and 2 dvd roms i dont know what the hell for , but he has this nice graphics card he doesnt even play games or anything.
damit.

I dont even have an optical drive, my current AMD X4 860k processor uses min power. 75 watt i think.
I wish i can change it though but this stuff costs so much money i dont know where everybody else gets the money from.

also tune me, did u have a look at these PSUs yet ?

Also , i would only afford 2 GPUs never 3 maybe unless i make money off mining. But it sounds like the train is too fast now days to catch so not sure what my chances are .

Cereberus
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 08:21:53 PM

Hope I helped a bit.

dude listen to this, this guy who lives up the road from me, dont know why BUT he has a decent Radeon 7,,,,, something and its proper i have seen it it has like 2 power connectors, its Saphire.
He has 2 blu-ray players and 2 dvd roms i dont know what the hell for , but he has this nice graphics card he doesnt even play games or anything.
damit.

I dont even have an optical drive, my current AMD X4 860k processor uses min power. 75 watt i think.
I wish i can change it though but this stuff costs so much money i dont know where everybody else gets the money from.

also tune me, did u have a look at these PSUs yet ?

Also , i would only afford 2 GPUs never 3 maybe unless i make money off mining. But it sounds like the train is too fast now days to catch so not sure what my chances are .

I didn't bother as Cooler Master is another level in quality compared to those brands. If you only wants to have 2 graphic cards as a beginning I still think the Cooler Master is the best choice. If you don't want to play games you can buy a cheap 6th generation intel celeron processor which costs really cheap about 40 Euro don't know what is in Rand price about 550 Rand. SSD you can buy a cheap Sandisk and DDR4 ram, well buy some used in your local online markets. That's it.

If you want to play games beside mining, save your money cause you need at least a core i5 processor for that.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 08:33:28 PM

Hey , okay please let me know what celerons, i dont know i just typed 6th generation celeron and cpu mark, but i cant get anything that looks english to me.
So example, can u find me on this site - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/   CPUs that are better than mine which are celeron?
So u reckon they are cheaper than going i5 or i7 or Xeon ?

Also based on my original post...   is it better that i buy a PSU rather than a "play around to test graphics card" with what i have currently?
Cereberus
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 09:06:49 PM

Hey , okay please let me know what celerons, i dont know i just typed 6th generation celeron and cpu mark, but i cant get anything that looks english to me.
So example, can u find me on this site - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/   CPUs that are better than mine which are celeron?
So u reckon they are cheaper than going i5 or i7 or Xeon ?

Also based on my original post...   is it better that i buy a PSU rather than a "play around to test graphics card" with what i have currently?

Intel G3920 is 6th gen celeron processor which you can find very cheap in online markets like ebay and amazon. Don't know if you can access such markets. It is not better for mining with CPU, it's better to consume less energy when mining than the processor you currently have. Yes this processor is much cheaper than i5 or i7 of 3,4,5 or 6 generation.

For mining with CPU(which by the way is not at all profitable) you have to buy a very expensive cpu which I don't recommend.

If you like to test around, you can opt to try and test the waters with a RX 470 4GB used card, price is the best compared to quality and performance of such card. This would be a good idea before you go and buy lots of stuff. RX 470 max power consumption is only 110 watt.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █