Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:20:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AntMiner S3 Space Heater  (Read 1456 times)
coopsindahouse (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 05:28:11 AM

I have access to purchase an AntMiner S3 for a really good price would this be optimal to use as a room space heater? just thought the concept was pretty cool
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
abeandund

Activity: 124
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 06:06:34 AM

If your buying it as a space heater, it will do a great job.  Especially if the price is right for both the S3 and power supply vs. the cost of a traditional space heater.  It will run quiet enough but the S3 will dissipate 350+ watts of heat compare that to a space heater.  the bitcoin generated will be small, but after a season of warmth you might have some pocket money for rainy day savings.  You won't get rich, but may decide a larger noisier s5 will put out twice the heat and 3x more coin.  Anything larger then your no longer using it as space heater but are on the road of a hobbiest and you'll looking at heating your home but too loud to stay inside with them.  Yes S3 is nice space heater.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 01:57:14 PM

I've got an S3 tucked under my desk for a space heater. It's so quiet I don't even notice it. They're excellent for that purpose.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 02:17:07 PM

I've got an S3 tucked under my desk for a space heater. It's so quiet I don't even notice it. They're excellent for that purpose.
Can confirm, I was using one for this purpose until it got so damn hot this winter Smiley they do the job very well and they're absolute workhorses, they'll make you a few bucks and save on heating costs.
Brob12321

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 01:04:10 AM

I seriously doubt it would be worth using as a space heater, the heating efficiency is going to be super low and you can't control the temperature.  The bitcoin that it will generate is maybe $5 a month.  So yeah I would vote to just buy a real heater.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 01:21:28 AM

I seriously doubt it would be worth using as a space heater, the heating efficiency is going to be super low and you can't control the temperature.  The bitcoin that it will generate is maybe $5 a month.  So yeah I would vote to just buy a real heater.
Depends on how you look at it. First off, heat is heat. Yes it's what only 350W or so but that still equates to a normal small heater running at the same power. Does it 'pay for itself' or earn more than the electric bill for it running?  For any Ant model lower than an under-volted/clocked s7, hell no.

However if you *are* going to run a space heater anyway during cold weather, what a miner earns does offset the electric bill for the heat. So win-win there. One of my so far good R4's is running in my office just for that reason (and earns more than it eats) Cheesy

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 04:52:32 AM

I run 'em because I already got 'em. There's an undervolted S7LN keeping the shop bathroom from icing up, and some S3 in the robot room keeping it toasty. I'm not sure I'd recommend buying an S3 as a space heater (unless it's pretty cheap), but if you already got one it makes a lot of sense.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 06:16:18 AM

I seriously doubt it would be worth using as a space heater, the heating efficiency is going to be super low

The "heating" efficiency out of any ASIC-based cryptocoin miner is actually very high - directly competative with any "space heater".

The PRICE efficiency though might be a different story, depending on the cost for the old miner - and temperature control might be an issue unless it's only a SMALL part of the total heat input to the room or you set the room with a termostatically-controlled damper/fan setup (or the room is on some sort of zone-controlled heat setup already).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 02:23:45 PM

Or you don't care about an exact-degree heat, and just turn it on when it's cold and off when it's hot.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: