Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:46:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: claymore's ethereum mining difference reported and pool hash  (Read 1823 times)
piwi3910 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 09:31:53 AM

hi can someone explain me why i see 30+ Mhs with claymores but if i check my pool i get only 155MHs for 6 cards and should have around 180Mhs.
I know about the dev fee but that doesn't make up for the difference.
It's also not stale shares and not the pool, as i have tried multiple.
And on everyone claymore tells me i'm doing more hashes then the pool ever sees.

I tried gateless gate and sgminer and they all report lower hashes then claymores, around 27Mhs per card.
But then my reported and pool hash are almost the same.

so the questions: I claymores inflating the hashes?
Am i doing something wrong to get the real hashrate out of claymores?

Regards
Pascal

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 10:01:41 AM

First of all, displayed MHs does not correlate directly to the number of valid shares that are submitted to a pool, just like there is no exact amount of work (hashing) required to find a block. They are both based upon probability where a certain hash-rate will "on average" solve a certain number of shares.

What I mean is the MHs readings are correct in that your hardware is looking for solutions at that rate, but there is also a element of luck involved. A certain hash-rate has a certain probability of guessing the correct hash for a share submission that is accepted by the pool, but there is not a set amount of hashes that correspond directly to one share. So you may get periods of luck where your hardware guesses more than its statistical probability and periods where it does not.

Now as far as your question, I have also noticed that Claymore seems to report a bit higher hashrate than other miners do with the same end result at the pools. I am not sure if it is intentional or just a different way of estimating the hash-rates, but in the end you have already noticed what you should be paying attention to, which is the submitted share rate on your pool. Myself, I don't care if my local displayed rate is showing 10 MHs as long as I am getting the equivalent (or more) shares on the pool than I do with a competing miner.

An analogy I have used before is look at it the same way you look at your car's speedometer. You may have aftermarket tires that throws the calibration off one way or another. The speedometer is still useful for driving as you can adjust your speed up or down, but the real world speed is determined by the radar gun. If you go to fast, regardless of what your speedometer indicates, you will get pulled over.

Put another way, if my speedometer is 4 mpg faster than yours and we are driving along together on the expressway, we might stay next to each other even though I show I am going 69 and you show your are doing 65 exactly. So going back to mining, while the locally displayed hash-rate is useful for tuning your miner with settings and clocks to get better performance, it is the real world share submission at the pool that you should worry the most about.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: