Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:19:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Video: Bitcoin Ponzi scheme  (Read 3490 times)
MegaBrutal (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:57:03 PM

So as I was watching a video of Bitcoin, another video came up as featured:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKC7iaBKvs

The author tries to explain how Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme.

He's missing the most important point: Bitcoin is not a zero sum game!

BTC: 18nAftZTnH4LjY9fPPow1aF5tGD1JiF7ZH
LTC: LV9MiA3iPVUm8qRFYbLkARuoYwvmHwhWaC

Buy some Negro candies!
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
noedaRDH

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:27:49 AM

He's just a silver bug. Guy probably types with two fingers. Ignore him, he's not ready for Bitcoin.

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 01:44:57 AM

That's Chris Duane. He's a smart fellow, but to describe him as 'set in his opinions' might be a bit of an understatement. Smiley

He's got other good material, though I certainly can't get behind his hatred of bitcoin. Again, 'hatred' is likely understating it. Smiley

ManBearPig

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:17:21 AM

I believe though can't be bothered to check that this is the video where the term "hashtag algorithm" is used.

Such a fundamental error should not be rewarded with my continued attention!

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:21:34 AM

Bitcoin is not a zero sum game!

Only if it lasts forever. If it doesn't it is indeed a zero sum game, it is also a zero sum game over any finite time period.
Jackin Jill

Activity: 61

Don't try to look tough Dollface

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:05:14 PM

Guy probably types with two fingers.

i srsly lol-ed at this
rhinospray

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:17:00 PM

Bitcoin is not a zero sum game because bitcoin economy is creating some value. According to my calculations pure commercial transactions till now (excluding exchanges as their fees are part of the zero sum game) could have produced up to $12m in earnings since inception, around 1.1$/BTC

So, to be exact, bitcoin is an almost zero sum game  just now.

abigfish

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:54:09 PM

epic propaganda... NONSENSE !!
fox19891989

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:20:31 PM

It is not a ponzi scheme.
rhinospray

Activity: 37

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:20:33 PM

From wikipedia: A bubble is similar to a Ponzi scheme in that one participant gets paid by contributions from a subsequent participant (until inevitable collapse). A bubble involves ever-rising prices in an open market (for example stock, housing, or tulip bulbs) where prices rise because buyers bid more because prices are rising. Bubbles are often said to be based on the "greater fool" theory. As with the Ponzi scheme, the price exceeds the intrinsic value of the item, but unlike the Ponzi scheme, there is no single person misrepresenting the intrinsic value.

Do you think that people in a Ponzi scheme believe they are in a Ponzi scheme?
abigfish

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:30:13 AM

a ponzi scheme DOES NOT allow it's participants from any other level than the TOP TIER ...to withdraw all/any investments at ANY desired time !!!

Here nobody forces you to ponzi with us Wink you don't like it ? get cold feet ? cash out and never come back...easy as that...while ponzi works more like : you want back you moneis Huh well first you have to double down your investment, persuade your parents or friends to join ...and than you get 80% of your initial investment ...paid as "dividends" .... while the rest can not be withdrawn yet since it's invested in a "termed deposit or stock" (words of the ponzi master to his mugu) .... Wink)))
bitcoinscanada

Activity: 108

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:08:45 PM

Anti bitcoin / litecoin comments are usually done with purpose - marketing and alternate, whether it be fiat or bullion.
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:27:57 PM

I believe though can't be bothered to check that this is the video where the term "hashtag algorithm" is used.

It is indeed that video.

I find this video very interesting though.

For once, we're on the other side of the 'conspiracy'.

I imagine everyone here at some point in their life has believed in a conspiracy. If you have, the mindset is, "something isn't quite right but I can only back it up with circumstantial evidence". This feeling is what makes us look for the conspiracy. Sometimes there just isn't one but it's hard to explain the nuances that cause these 'circumstantial' aspects to appear.

This video lacks understanding in so many areas but I feel that if I were to try and explain things to him in more detail, his own ignorance would actually prevent him from accepting anything I say.

So I'm just wondering if I'm like that on the things that I believe are conspiracies.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:53:30 PM

Here's another take, which I give equal weight to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qSj24_E_lU

Cheesy

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:02:05 PM

Here's another take, which I give equal weight to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qSj24_E_lU

Cheesy

Maybe I don't understand your post but to me it sounds like a eh, complete scam.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
noedaRDH

Activity: 182

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:54:16 AM

Anti bitcoin / litecoin comments are usually done with purpose - marketing and alternate, whether it be fiat or bullion.

Yep, almost 100% true. Many of haters on Youtube probably haven't figured out how to shutdown a PC.

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
agentbluescreen

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:41:48 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 05:29:09 AM by agentbluescreen

It is indeed that video.

I find this video very interesting though.

For once, we're on the other side of the 'conspiracy'.

I imagine everyone here at some point in their life has believed in a conspiracy. If you have, the mindset is, "something isn't quite right but I can only back it up with circumstantial evidence". This feeling is what makes us look for the conspiracy. Sometimes there just isn't one but it's hard to explain the nuances that cause these 'circumstantial' aspects to appear.

This video lacks understanding in so many areas but I feel that if I were to try and explain things to him in more detail, his own ignorance would actually prevent him from accepting anything I say.

So I'm just wondering if I'm like that on the things that I believe are conspiracies.

Cavemen always attack what they fear. The idiot argues that a BTCitcoin Over the Counter (OTC) Derivative - "Medium of Credit Swap" (fCDS) - is a "nothing" for a "something', which is demonstrably false and untrue.

It's just a "Funded Credit Swap", you fund the "loss" of it's last owner, then in the "future", it's next owner funds yours.

The "conspiracy nut" guy has a point, but he doesn't understand squat about the fundamental and crucial difference between "wealth" and "money", or the nature of the process of "price discovery" for a New Epoch Defining devastatingly simple, colossally utilitarian, and infinitely egalitarian "New Economic World" BTCitcoin Medium of Labour-Credit Swap "currency".

Consider these "Ponzi Schemes":

In fact salt, necessary to preserve meat before refrigeration, was the first "money", and all new markets for a new commodity are trade and distribution "ponzi pyramids".

The first cave guy who stumbled upon shiny yellow stones he couldn't eat or kill anything with in a pile of rocks at the bottom of some stream was exactly like Sitoshi. He picked them all up and went "kool" to himself, went back to the campground. probably pounded them into ear rings and pawned some of them off on some pals. Immediately these guys noticed that their shorties were fascinated by and thrilled with them. Soon other guys also came across chicks with them and also noticed they could also make rings and bangles out of them that really drove the chicks crazy and they all went back to Sitoshi to get some more.

Soon Sitoshi was fat, buried in other valuables and out of places to find more gold just laying around, so still having a bunch of gold that cost him nearly nothing, he decided he had to get guys to pan or mine for him around where he'd got the first batches. Also some dudes named litecoin also got hired by mistake and also figured out exactly what was going on with these ugly dudes getting action with all the hot chicks with this junk. Once Sitoshi's mine was sold out he was fixed for life, still selling it now for many hundreds of times more than he first did and out off the top of his 1st sales pyramid with a fortune. (and probably all the hottest babes in the region)

Meanwhile everybody else was left to either holding on to them as long a they could, and flipping bits for more stuff to new horny dudes or selling their hoards for similar fortunes of value to other tribal warlords etc. using bits of it for barter, whacking one another or "getting their sins forgiven" for some.  

This of course prompted other gold mining and gold panning "pyramids" to be started as get rich schemes for their bankrollers. The story of oil is little different.

When the first entrepreneur discovered salt, oil or gold for instance, they likely had no idea of the intrinsic-value, utility-value or exchange-values of them. In most all of these cases, the lucky dudes named Sitoshi brought some of their new "intrinsic curiosity" back to the encampment, and noticed their pals also had a curiosity about it, so he promptly gave them some in exchange for a few extra cups of their grog and went back a day or two later to the place he found that for more, to continue his enterprise. He did this because he was made drunkenly aware that this new "common curiosity" of his seemed to have both an intrinsic(curiosity) and what remarkably seemed to be an exchange value!

Meanwhile his pals noticed that you could salt meat to keep it from spoiling and even use it to make other crud taste better or use oil to make wagon wheels move more smoothly or was easier to light for light or heat, others noticed the hottest chicks loved earrings and bangles made out of the yellow shiny stuff. This second echelon "second floor-down" of low price meddlers had developed or discovered that Sitoshi's kool new "commodity" resources had utility value, separate from their common intrinsic value that increased their (greatest and most desirable of all) "exchange value".

Owing to these new discoveries Sitoshi's small second floor-echelon of Sitoshi-Resource Pharoahs began to market their new wares as bagged salt, bottled torch fuel and bullion to make chick-magnet jewellery. Buzz and newly discovered utility values allowed third and fourth floor-down echelons to "Price Inflate" (discover) the same Sitoshi-Resources their wholesalers got for grog into hard assets they could sell for boats, tents and fancier rides for their shorties. Finally fifth and lower floor-down operators in the marketing pyramid's echelon really started to exploit even newer and better utility values leading the price discovery of their new commodity resources into becoming something closer to reaching for the most treasured and coveted crown of either being a utilitarian commodity resource of serious hard-asset exchange value, or just a too-rare "wealth itself". (eg: gold)

Of course all these things didn't happen at once because, in the pre-refrigerated ancient world, salt (in high demand) was the first well known and widely traded form of a widely accepted Medium of Labour Exchange Currency (aka "money"). Indeed the further it had to be conveyed to deliver it, the more it's intrinsic value was "Price Inflated".

Salt worked as a "money" only so long as it retained it's aura as a rarity of constantly assured value. Salt's price-demise (Price Deflation)  as a currency no doubt came about with the invention of the Sauna bath where people suddenly became aware it was as common as sea water.

Gold worked as a "money" (Medium of Labour Exchange) until rich wealthy Pharaohs hoarded it all and we all ran out of enough of it to make it useful and/or had to end-up settling for counterfeit receipts for some that was rented out, lost and all sold-out 40 years ago.

We'll never run out of BTCitcoins or room to iValue them upwards to a more appropriate value when the monetary supplies and demands of growth necessitates it....
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:43:18 AM

lawl at hashtag algorithm Cheesy

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
mountainskyman

Activity: 226

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:03:17 PM

That video is pure, unadulterated counter-bitcoin propaganda.
Jaseph

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:22:32 PM

I think his whole point is this: Those who got into bitcoin very early on are at a clear advantage. If I bought 10k bitcoins when they were less than 1 USD, I am now a millionaire if I cash in. That million dollars didn't just pop up out of thin air. It came from people who bought bitcoins much later.

Where I think he is wrong is in assumimg bitcoins are worthless. The more widely adopted they become the more valuable they will become. But even so, those buying later will never see the kind of appreciation in value that those who bought it for pennies achieved.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: