Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:10:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Release: v0.88.1-beta [Major Release+Bugfix]  (Read 5091 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 02:12:23 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2013, 04:18:27 PM by etotheipi

Bugfix version 0.88.1, now available
(Windows users, please fully reinstall again... this reinstallation stuff will hopefully be going away, soon)

Well, I found three hardcore bugs in v0.88.  Not security-related bugs, but the kind of bugs that prevent users from using the software.  At all.   These should've been caught during testing!  Please help test.  Especially in Linux, if you are running from the git repo, just keep yourself on the testing branch and pull occasionally.  I promise only to update the testing branch after a lot of internal testing.

Fixes:
  • Unicode issues in settings window:  I missed a unicode fix which prevented some users from opening the settings dialog at all.  This meant that you couldn't set Bitcoin-Qt installation or home directories
  • "rpcport" in bitcoin.conf:  Users who specified any rpcport argument in their bitcoin.conf file, would result in failed loading with auto-bitcoind.  There really was no workaround for this
  • Importing addresses:  Another major Armory feature that was botched with a recent upgrade.  You simply could not import addresses into an encrypted wallet.  At all.  Unencrypted wallets imported fine.
  • Clean shutdown on Linux:  It turns out I accidentally used functions in the python-psutil module that do not exist natively in older versions.  This caused the auto-bitcoind management to leave bitcoind open even after Armory was closed, in older Linux versions.   Granted, that might be good for some users... but it's not intended behavior (this is part of my goal to keep Armory dependency-version-less: making it easy to compile on just about any system)

So, I spent a couple hours creating scripts to streamline the release process, and it definitely made it a lot easier.  The offline computer now signs the .debs, and also repackages the offline bundle, and automatically produces the *.sha256sum.asc file and signs it (after I manually verify hashes between all my computers/VMs).   So, this process hopefully won't be so painful in the future, and the offline bundle will be reproduced automatically on every release.  But it's still not pleasant.

So, I just posted the updated installers to the Download page.  I re-linked them at the bottom of this post, because my script automatically emits the BBCode for me, and so it just one copy&paste.

All the signed installers:

Version 0.88.1-beta for Ubuntu/Debian 64-bit
Version 0.88.1-beta for Ubuntu/Debian 32-bit
Version 0.88.1-beta for Windows 64-bit
Version 0.88.1-beta for Windows 32- and 64-bit
Version 0.88.1-beta for Mac/OSX 10.8
Version 0.88.1-beta SHA256 hashes of installers
Version 0.88.1-beta Offline Bundle for Ubuntu 10.04-32bit
Version 0.88.1-beta Offline Bundle for Ubuntu 10.04-64bit

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:18:16 AM

Is this the "offical" 0.88 version?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 03:44:33 AM

Is this the "offical" 0.88 version?

The "official" one was yesterday.  But I missed these show-stopper bugs, so I decided to go through the whole thing again today.  It was annoying, but I really couldn't leave it in an usuable state for so many.

I updated the webpage, but didn't re-trigger notifications.  I didn't want to spam people who already upgraded.  They'll probably find the upgrade themselves if they were affected by any of those bugs.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: