Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:57:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Bitcoin Course is Ready  (Read 2330 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 05:05:52 AM

Don't do a donation and a price tag, pick one. Your just being greedy. Plus no one knows if your content is even that high of quality you show 2 min clip of you just moving your mouse around and giving an overview. Plus your voice is kinda hashed and monotoned.

I've decided to make the first 200 slots free. Enter the coupon code free200.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
satosamoto

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 05:14:59 AM

Don't do a donation and a price tag, pick one. Your just being greedy. Plus no one knows if your content is even that high of quality you show 2 min clip of you just moving your mouse around and giving an overview. Plus your voice is kinda hashed and monotoned.

I've decided to make the first 200 slots free. Enter the coupon code free200.

Sry if I came off strong. I just meant there is plenty of free information out there if you do a little research. For the general public to see your "course" they prob already read through a bunch of information already.

I think you would be best off taking the $9 fee and just accepting donations until you get "accepted" then maybe add a small fee and drop the donation gig.

All recommendations, I understand you would like to get compensated for your time but in the long run building good feedback and a small following will be best for you.
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 05:18:25 AM

Also what makes you an expert on bitcoin, you don't own a business, you don't claim to have any experience with bitcoin, why are you making a course if you aren't that experienced with bitcoins?

I've been involved in cryptography research for the past two years specifically studying fully homomorphic encryption and zero knowledge proofs. My formal background is in additive and analytic number theory and I attended grad school at University of Colorado, Boulder for pure mathematics. I've worked with several computer scientists during my time there who were involved in some way or another with the bitcoin open sourced project or hash cash back in the 90s.

I don't profess to be an expert, but I'm willing to collaborate with the community and invest the time necessary to develop a great mainstream introduction for newcomers to our currency. Over time and with enough input, we can create something that will help make the Bitcoin more mainstream.

I should also mention that I've worked on several open sourced projects and there is a world of difference from projects that are completely donation based and projects that have some sort of monetary backbone. Simply put, to accomplish my goal, I need more than a donation. Even the Mozilla foundation collections fees.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 05:27:37 AM

Ok I quickly whipped through the course the course. Quick summary follows ->

Pros:
- walks slowly through the different parts of what is money, what is a bitcoin, how to mine, and future outlook as well as other topics
- very newbie friendly, this is something my parents could watch and learn to understand what a bitcoin is
- everything is available off one site, you don't have to jump around youtube pages to find somewhat sketchy information
- couple hours of lectures, you get what you pay for

Cons:
- it doesn't go into a lot of mathematical details on what a bitcoin actually is, some references to complicated hashes and #s, blocks and blockchains, but doesn't explain the algorithm itself. I'd really like a course that does this. It'd be valuable to create a 2nd course for computer scientists or bitcoin fans that want to understand the algorithm
- most of the foils are text based, no graphics or animations that help illustrate the bitcoin flow. The verbal explanations are good, but the text seems to be mostly filler. One exception: I did like it when you brought up the different sites, and references under mining

Summary: if I was just starting out I think this would be worth $9, but for most of us on this forum I think we would want an advanced edition of the course.

Thanks for the coupon, I hope your course does well.

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 05:32:04 AM

Ok I quickly whipped through the course the course. Quick summary follows ->

Pros:
- walks slowly through the different parts of what is money, what is a bitcoin, how to mine, and future outlook as well as other topics
- very newbie friendly, this is something my parents could watch and learn to understand what a bitcoin is
- everything is available off one site, you don't have to jump around youtube pages to find somewhat sketchy information
- couple hours of lectures, you get what you pay for

Cons:
- it doesn't go into a lot of mathematical details on what a bitcoin actually is, some references to complicated hashes and #s, blocks and blockchains, but doesn't explain the algorithm itself. I'd really like a course that does this. It'd be valuable to create a 2nd course for computer scientists or bitcoin fans that want to understand the algorithm
- most of the foils are text based, no graphics or animations that help illustrate the bitcoin flow. The verbal explanations are good, but the text seems to be mostly filler. One exception: I did like it when you brought up the different sites, and references under mining

Summary: if I was just starting out I think this would be worth $9, but for most of us on this forum I think we would want an advanced edition of the course.

Thanks for the coupon, I hope your course does well.

Thanks for the set of eyes. My goal is to eventually create a series of courses that build in detail until one gains a total mastery of the Bitcoin. I figured with the amount of misinformation floating around that the first priority needs to be just getting a firm foundation laid.

Could you leave a review on the Udemy course site? That will help me get exposure. 

zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:23:33 AM

Hi charleshoskinson,

I suggest you to make a #bitcoin-otc course for newbies.
I found that lots of the people involved in bitcoin economy still don't know how to start using OTC, signing GPG contracts, etc.
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 06:30:11 AM

Hi charleshoskinson,

I suggest you to make a #bitcoin-otc course for newbies.
I found that lots of the people involved in bitcoin economy still don't know how to start using OTC, signing GPG contracts, etc.

That's a great idea. I'll create a new thread at some point for future class ideas. I could also (if this class is a commercial success) add new content to the course when there is a market demand.

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 04:00:08 PM

bump

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 10:17:06 PM

I've decided to make the course free for now.

rbgrish

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:41:10 PM

I will view the course, I certainly do not know all I wish too about btc ,
I wish to offer support to you and anyone else helping to get out the real concept of btc. I get angry everytime I see a blip on CNBC or other news, it seems like they all have a vested interstate in portraying btc as negatively as possible. Cudos to anyone spreading more truth about btc to the public at large.
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 10:43:18 PM

I will view the course, I certainly do not know all I wish too about btc ,
I wish to offer support to you and anyone else helping to get out the real concept of btc. I get angry everytime I see a blip on CNBC or other news, it seems like they all have a vested interstate in portraying btc as negatively as possible. Cudos to anyone spreading more truth about btc to the public at large.

Thank you. My goal is to build something the community can universally adopt. So when someone asks about the bitcoin, you can give them a single link and all will be explained.

TomUnderSea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:05:21 AM

I appreciate you making it free.

Sadly, I simply do not have the patience to listen to _anyone_ talk for nine hours.

Now if your course had the same information presented a text / graphic form (think text book), I would be happy to read and review it for you. 

I would likely also be able to do so in much less than the 9 hours of video you are presenting...

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
cokacpkalqu91

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:20:45 AM

the forum should have a plafond to order things like this one...
manuals, advertising, etc etc
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:28:58 AM

But your setting the barrier to entry at $9 so how I am I suppose to point someone there to learn if it cost money, most people will not pay to learn about a new concept they may never touch again

You haven't been keeping up to date  Cool

I appreciate you making it free.

Sadly, I simply do not have the patience to listen to _anyone_ talk for nine hours.

Now if your course had the same information presented a text / graphic form (think text book), I would be happy to read and review it for you. 

I would likely also be able to do so in much less than the 9 hours of video you are presenting...

Phase 1 is developing a core set of information that is accurate, reliable and easy to understand. Phase 2 is to port this information into other formats like a book or audio only for example. This is a long term project.

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:58:13 AM

The Crypto and Cold Storage Lectures are Now Up!

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:00:28 AM

This is great. I think you should add it to the Bitcoin wiki and such Smiley
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:01:48 AM

This is great. I think you should add it to the Bitcoin wiki and such

Send me some links and also if you have any topics you'd like me to cover let me know.

Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:11:04 AM

Very nice +1

palmcoins

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:13:19 AM

Nice one, thanks.
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:18:18 AM

you know donations are always welcome............... Grin

189tfJJhCJFtkr4MZJgcB3yuGTfUh7cvUL

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: