Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:57:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Ver and Jon Matonis pushed aside now that Bitcoin is becoming mainstream  (Read 46514 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:53:19 AM

Bitfloor was the shot across the bow.

What happened to Bitfloor? I thought they were *hacked*. What does that have to do with banksters and our evil reptilian government overlords?

Their bank account is being closed - something which has happened to exchanges so often in the past that they should have had a contingency plan.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:55:06 AM

Bitfloor was the shot across the bow.

What happened to Bitfloor? I thought they were *hacked*. What does that have to do with banksters and our evil reptilian government overlords?

Their bank account is being closed - something which has happened to exchanges so often in the past that they should have had a contingency plan.

Were they AML compliant? Did they register with FinCEN? Did they do anything that everyone else who runs an exchange has had to do or were they just winging it because "bitcoin is freedom maaan"?

Also what you said. Why would a high risk merchant have only a single account?

majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 06:56:47 AM

xD  With your permission, I will translate the text into Spanish for posting it on elbitcoin.org.

I'd be honored! Thank you.

I can assume you're the one that translated the "Bubble" article earlier? Please feel free to take anything from the site that would be of use.

Indeed. Thank you!

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
Prattler

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:05:14 AM

I'd just like to thank Roger Ver for the amazing things he's done for bitcoin and thus for the whole world! Smiley You are a true hero!
majamalu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 07:16:16 AM

I'd just like to thank Roger Ver for the amazing things he's done for bitcoin and thus for the whole world! Smiley You are a true hero!

+1

The regulators may dislike what he says, but what about the millions that are trying to survive the regulations?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:24:50 AM

The regulators may dislike what he says, but what about the millions that are trying to survive the regulations?

How about the millions of bitcoiners who don't want their police taken away from them and replaced with a society that the richest people only have police like Roger does? I don't think we have to worry about the regulators as much as people from within bitcoin destroying it with their own capitalist agendas or extremism to be honest. Let's hope it grows fast enough that none of this will matter.

majamalu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 07:43:29 AM

I don't think we have to worry about the regulators as much as people from within bitcoin destroying it with their own capitalist agendas or extremism to be honest.

I think we have to worry about people from within bitcoin that are extremely untrustworthy.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:49:10 AM

I think we have to worry about people from within bitcoin that are extremely untrustworthy.

I agree, be sure to point one of those people out if you see one. I'll do the same.

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:50:48 AM

Remember we should be working with banks not against especially for businesses.

There's no working with banks. I'll use the banks if it suits my agenda just like they do with us, but I have no interest in working with them.
papa_snurf

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:52:14 AM

You have potentially the most important invention in the history of mankind, but you try to gift-wrap
it in a nice little politically-correct package. What are you afraid of? If Bitcoin is an efficient system,
it will be adopted regardless of the opinions of some of the speakers.

First, I think Bitcoin is amazing but it is objectively way less important than the invention of fire, electricity, the contraceptive pill, and a bunch of other stuff. You'd rather have Bitcoin or antibiotics?

Second, it is naive to think that the future has already been written. There's nothing ineluctable about Bitcoin and its image will impact its adoption. Put Ben Laden in charge of the PR, and you will see what will happen to your beloved currency (hint: it won't be pretty).
majamalu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 07:54:37 AM

I agree, be sure to point one of those people out if you see one. I'll do the same.

Ok, just be careful - some of them have scammed many people in the (not so distant) past.

Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:57:14 AM

But then you will never get your money into bitcoin,

I don't use exchanges to buy or sell bitcoins. I have other sources and I move them around to people that want them in my social and business circles.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:59:53 AM

Remember we should be working with banks not against especially for businesses.

I'll use the banks if it suits my agenda just like they do with us, but I have no interest in working with them.

Kind of the way we should all feel about Bitcoin if you ask me.

Why worry about them, there is more then a enough powerful people that want to see bitcoin succeed that I don't think that is an issue really anymore. I think a year or two back that was an issue, but we can just ignore them now.

I know, it was a joke. Some people on these forums are cold, lifeless, humorless, overly serious, some people recognize mistakes of others but don't forgive them for it, and still some are paranoid regardless of any facts presented to them. People like majamalu probably think growing up is a spotless endeavor with flawless results and that anyone who makes mistakes is probably "untrustworthy", primarily because a single admin who refuses to give a scammer tag to *actual scammers* (BFL) decided it was so! Frankly, I'll take a guy who admits his mistakes and fixes them over someone who throws around claims that people "can't be trusted" any day.

I have no problem that Sonny (BFL) went to prison, nor what Roger Ver did, so long as the reasons they did aren't reoccurring (For Sonny, they are. I don't see Roger selling explosives through the BitcoinStore though). So why would someone claim I'm untrustworthy to carry money, operate a business, speak publicly or cook for them just because I made a prank bet and then ended up paying it anyway because I felt sorry for others? It's just more cultist assbackwards extremist paranoia that makes all bitcoiners look like kooks.

In line with the original topic of this thread, I remember the Reddit and Forum threads about "Keep[ing] Amir off TV!". It was a disgusting display of pigs slopping over each other to say the least. "He's not dressed right!". He's also not trying to be the "representative of Bitcoin". Everyone here is a representative of bitcoin everytime we talk, and we will all have different view points. The point of this thread was to discuss people whom we can *all* agree more or less will cover the topics in a way we can all agree with. I don't think Roger Ver's viewpoint about how Bitcoin will destory the governments is one I would be proud support, nor do I believe anyone on this forum who claims that Bitcoin was invented for tax evasion should ever be chosen for that role either.

How about someone who talks about Bitcoin leading digital currency evolution and making it easier for people to *share*? Why is everything about VENGEANCE TOWARDS THE BANKS and KILLING OUR MASTERS? Better yet, how about someone who can publicly admit that Bitcoin could fail, that it is a project and an experiment, and that it is most likely that it will simply lead the way to better alternatives and not be the end-all solution in and of itself? In other words, a fucking realist (or as some of you would probably mislabel them, "BITCOIN DETRACTORS").

niner

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

You are here ---------> but you're not all there.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 08:06:53 AM

"Bitcoin has neither an official organization, individuals with authority nor spokespeople."

-- quoted from bitcoin.org "Press" web page

Ⓑ Ⓘ Ⓣ Ⓒ Ⓞ Ⓘ Ⓝ 1NMBixVgJyA63MExRuChcxjhKAW1QkvZU4
digital49ers.com   bitcoin.de   Alt Coins: CryptsyVircurex
blockgenesis

Activity: 285

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:40:46 AM

"Bitcoin has neither an official organization, individuals with authority nor spokespeople."

Yes, this was added by Trace and ACK by me and jgarzik a few hours ago. This might help finding a good compromise add better address the issues that has been raised. We shall see!

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:41:59 AM

Yes, this was added by Trace and ACK by me and jgarzik a few hours ago. This might help finding a good compromise add better address the issues that has been raised. We shall see!

Looking forward to it!

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 09:48:19 AM

For anyone who doesn't know me,  I'm Roger Ver.

Since discovering Bitcoin in late 2010,  it has consumed every moment of my life.

My company, Memorydealers.com was the first semi-mainstream business to accept Bitcoin as payment.

I'm directly responsible for

1. National radio advertisements on more than 100 stations for over two years. @ $2,800 / month http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pV9ptoCMyc
2. A Bitcoin Bilboard for over 2 years.  @ $1,200 / month
3. Bitcoinstore.com
4. The Bitcoin Bet  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfydIbhduu0
5. I was the first and only outside investor in Bitinstant.com, Blockchain.info, BuyBitcoin.co.kr and several others.
6. I was part of the seed investment round for  Coinlab.com, Bitpay.com, Kraken.com and several others.
7. I donated over $100,000 USD worth of Bitcoins to the Bitcoin foundation to help get it started. (value at the time of the payment)
8. I've also donated more bitcoins than I can count to various charities, organizations, and groups who's goals I support.

The reason  I have done all of the above is because of the philosophy I hold.
I think that all human interactions should be on a voluntary basis.
I'm opposed to using violence or threats to solve social problems.
I see Bitcoin, combined with the internet, as the best tool the world has ever seen for minimizing the amount of violence in our society.

What I'm advocating isn't extreme.
The governmental systems we have today,  that murder hundreds of millions of innocents,  drop nuclear bombs, enforce sanctions,  extort money under the threat of violence, control capital flow,  debase currencies,  and retard the overall rate of economic growth,  causing everyone to be poorer than they otherwise would have been, is extreme.

Whether or not I end up listed on the press page,  with every waking moment, I will continue to promote Bitcoin and the voluntary world it will help to bring us closer to.

My philosophy aside,  I do think it is clear that I'm great at promoting Bitcoin:

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2297014298001/should-bitcoin-be-regulated/

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/the-ups-and-downs-of/5037b5b402a76066bd0000da

I also think that the following people should also be added to the press page:

Jon Matonis
Erik Voorhees
Jeff Berwick

Bitcoin is about inclusion,  not exclusion.

freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:04:31 AM

activists who will scare everyone away, or conspiracy theorists who think that the questions being asked are "attacks on bitcoin"

Indeed, it didn't take long ...

Governments don't care what the "official representatives" of bitcoin.org say, the only thing that matters to governments is whether they will be able to control Bitcoin. If not, they will say anything to discredit you, even if your "official spokesmen" are politically correct as well as immaculate saints. Deal with it.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:05:00 AM

Erik Voorhees
Yeah, let's add the person responsible for the most violent damage against Bitcoin done to date...

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:12:20 AM

Erik Voorhees
Yeah, let's add the person responsible for the most violent damage against Bitcoin done to date...

MtGox? Butterfly Labs? Pirate? I'm lost.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: