Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:14:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transfer operation and Explanation  (Read 437 times)
Deep BTC (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 03:18:31 PM

We are entering 4 parameters to send bitcoin. Address, Description, Quantity, Fee
1. Is it mandatory to enter the description parameter? Can we make a transfer by making the description blank?
2. Can anyone else read the description we have entered? So the miner who approved the transaction can read this description? Can this description be read after the process is completed? Technically this is possible?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BigBoom3599

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 03:20:59 PM

The description of a transaction is never stored on the blockchain, it is stored on your computer, in your wallet. So you don't have to fill in the description and only you can see it. Some bitcoin wallets don't even have the feature to give description to transactions
Deep BTC (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 03:40:07 PM

The description of a transaction is never stored on the blockchain, it is stored on your computer, in your wallet. So you don't have to fill in the description and only you can see it. Some bitcoin wallets don't even have the feature to give description to transactions

When I transfer bitcoin to someone, I write something in the description. When Bitcoin reaches the other side, he can see what I wrote in his wallet.

How that happens?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 03:59:33 PM

We are entering 4 parameters to send bitcoin. Address, Description, Quantity, Fee
1. Is it mandatory to enter the description parameter?
Can we make a transfer by making the description blank?

The bitcoin protocol does NOT require a description.  Depending on the wallet software you are using, your wallet might require you to enter a description.  If you don't like that, then use a different wallet.

2. Can anyone else read the description we have entered? So the miner who approved the transaction can read this description? Can this description be read after the process is completed? Technically this is possible?

The bitcoin protocol does NOT use descriptions. Depending on the wallet software you are using, your wallet might share the description with others. If you don't like that, then use a different wallet.

When I transfer bitcoin to someone, I write something in the description. When Bitcoin reaches the other side, he can see what I wrote in his wallet.

How that happens?

What wallet are you using?  Some wallets share the descriptions with the recipient or with the public.  If you don't like that, then use a different wallet.
Deep BTC (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 04:18:41 PM

1. Is it mandatory to enter the description parameter?
Can we make a transfer by making the description blank?

The bitcoin protocol does NOT require a description.  Depending on the wallet software you are using, your wallet might require you to enter a description.  If you don't like that, then use a different wallet.

The bitcoin protocol does NOT use descriptions. Depending on the wallet software you are using, your wallet might share the description with others. If you don't like that, then use a different wallet.

How that happens?

What wallet are you using?  Some wallets share the descriptions with the recipient or with the public.  If you don't like that, then use a different wallet.

I use an electrum. Then the electrum itself adds this description.
For example, if a btc transfer was made for me from a wallet that does not use an description, I would see the description part blank in my wallet.
Or if I had made a transfer to a wallet that did not use an description by writing an description from my electrum wallet, electrum would not be able to convey this description?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 05:54:13 PM

I use an electrum. Then the electrum itself adds this description.
For example, if a btc transfer was made for me from a wallet that does not use an description, I would see the description part blank in my wallet.
Or if I had made a transfer to a wallet that did not use an description by writing an description from my electrum wallet, electrum would not be able to convey this description?

Electrum does not share descriptions.  It keeps them in the wallet on your computer where only you can see them.

How that happens?

With Electrum?  Are you sure?  I don't think so.  I think maybe you are misunderstanding something.

There is an Electrum discussion sub-forum here at bitcointalk.org.  You can try asking in there for a better explanation and access to experts.

You can find that sub-forum here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=98.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: