Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:50:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Bitcoin Client Bounty (1740 BTC pledged)  (Read 44734 times)
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 09:44:51 AM

The fee is there to ensure all Market participants have been through the Google credit card anti-fraud system (which is pretty good). The point is to try and raise the bar for people uploading malicious or illegal apps.

It's not there to make a profit for Google, which is in no need of the poxy amounts of cash generated by it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 05:38:59 PM

Is BitCoiner available via the Market ?

No. Since its not finished Im to cheap for the 25$ Android market fee ( which i find ridicolous considering google also collects a sales percentage :-)

Wait, do free apps have to pay this fee also?

The fee is a single, one-time $25 per person/organization. (Contrast this with Apple's $99 per YEAR.) The fee is charged whether you intend publish free or paid apps. Personally I paid it long ago and haven't published a thing yet, though I will be soon.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 12:23:03 AM

what's up with this?

does the bounty still hold?

1740 quite some money nowadays, noone up to this task? Andreas Schildbach's Wallet (for testnet) was almost there, wasn't it? (crashes my phone, but used to work just fine couple weeks ago)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 01:12:17 AM

what's up with this?

does the bounty still hold?

1740 quite some money nowadays, noone up to this task? Andreas Schildbach's Wallet (for testnet) was almost there, wasn't it? (crashes my phone, but used to work just fine couple weeks ago)

It does for me, and my previously stated conditions, to my stated bitcoin amount.  When I pledged it, 50 bitcoins was a tip.  Now it's a day's wages.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
error

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 08:00:33 AM

I completely forgot about this for a while. Given the expected short-to-medium term value of Bitcoin, I think I'm going to revisit it. Though the OP should perhaps be updated to show that part of the bounty has already been paid out.

sandos

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 08:28:18 AM

I had the impression someone was working on the client, albeit slowly. The problem seems to be the blockchain and RAM usage.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 09:07:37 AM

I had the impression someone was working on the client, albeit slowly. The problem seems to be the blockchain and RAM usage.

I'm not sure a full-fledged node is even the goal here, is it?

I'll pledge 400 make that 800, and would even pay if it's just a nice Android/iPhone web app BUT it must be runnable on one's own server, not linked to its own service.

"runnable on one's own server" sounds to me like it's simply a rpc client, no?

Can the pledgers please clear this up?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 01:03:25 PM

I'm not sure a full-fledged node is even the goal here, is it?

I'll pledge 400 make that 800, and would even pay if it's just a nice Android/iPhone web app BUT it must be runnable on one's own server, not linked to its own service.

"runnable on one's own server" sounds to me like it's simply a rpc client, no?

Can the pledgers please clear this up?

Different pledges have different requirements.  An android remote control client has been developed, and I believe has been paid out.  Mine has not.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

tehrap1st

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 08:56:58 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2011, 09:20:33 AM by tehrap1st

I've been inquired about this by my employer if this is viable, and I am pondering going for it making it open-source.

I've hacked together a semi-working prototype based on bitcoinj, however ran into obvious technical difficulties - bitcoinj is too fat and inefficient to the point i couldnt make a transaction.
After compiling bitcoind, the client was not able to verify (rescan) whole chain tx by tx in reasonable time, not to mention necessary use of sdcard.
The state in which code is now, no android device is up to the task except very hiend ones.

Following changes are needed to be made:
Trusting the blockchain to be correct from some point of time and start from specific merkle root is a neccessity, this should not be a problem as more than week-spanning tree forks are unlikely.
From there on, incoming txes are processed, stored locally only as blockheaders with possible forks in a backlog which gets consumed into the merkle root.

This is as lite it gets, is reasonably secure, easy on bandwith, and seems it will work on all ranges of androids way down to the severely lacking HTC Dream.

However blockheaders (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/blockheaders) and complete tx/wallet rewrite are necessary to cater for performance.

Starting from where it is now this is work at least for 2 months. Should i take the bounty, at the current rate I wouldn't go below 2500BTC.

Recommendation to the pledgers: split the tasks to smaller bounties (worth ~1500-2000BTC IMO):
1) separate protocol code from bitcoin client into a library, include "lite" operation as an option, to avoid hacks pegged on the back of bitcoin client (umaintainable mess)
2) make it efficient to run on underpowered devices
3) write an easy JNI binding bitcoinj style

The android frontend is a matter of 500BTC, no more. Same goes for iPhone.

therapist
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 09:20:32 AM

As has been noted several times, BitCoinJ is not ready for use on Android yet. We know how to make it efficient enough for use on phones and the code to do that is coming.

No bounties needed. Just patience. By the way there are at least two other people working on Android GUIs for the library.
tehrap1st

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 09:49:15 AM

As has been noted several times, BitCoinJ is not ready for use on Android yet. We know how to make it efficient enough for use on phones and the code to do that is coming.
Glad to hear it! Will keep an eye on it, though I'm not entirely convinced of from-the-scratch implementations (thus the call for JNI).

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 01:56:09 PM

The official client won't work on Android either. It loads the block chain at startup in the same way BitCoinJ currently does.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:46:27 PM

Can the 800 BTC pledgers please clear up which have been paid out? And how much there is to gain right now?

As to everyone else, please add to the bounty. I think this android client is really important. The open source mentality is nice and all, but we shouldn't rely on people working for free too much, especially now that time is of the essence. We're missing out on all those android fans who read about Bitcoin now, many would surely join if they had a full client.
error

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:19:58 PM

Agreed. It appears that half the bounty was already paid, which really dampened my enthusiasm for working on this.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 06:01:53 PM

Can the 800 BTC pledgers please clear up which have been paid out? And how much there is to gain right now?

Mine has not been paid out...

"By local transactions, I assume a minimum capability of a local wallet.dat, the ability to use bu.mp (or similar) to transfer addresses, and the ability to create transactions in the absence of working Internet access.

I pledge 50 under these conditions"

I'm going to add a new condition, the system needs to be working on my Samsung Intercept by July, or I'm cutting my pledge in half.  This pledge has turned into a large chunk of what I have left.

scottk

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 02:30:16 AM

Just throwing it in there that if I ever get some time I'd love to take this on. I been wanting to dip my feet in the Android waters and I'm starting to get into this idea of Bitcoins.
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 03:32:51 AM

As to everyone else, please add to the bounty. I think this android client is really important. The open source mentality is nice and all, but we shouldn't rely on people working for free too much, especially now that time is of the essence. We're missing out on all those android fans who read about Bitcoin now, many would surely join if they had a full client.

Free software is for creating community. It does not mean zero pay.

Open source is for bug fixing.

Making it GPL / BSD will not hurt funding, and increased competition will reduce fears of big players in the end everybody makes more even if it isn't the whole pie.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
sandos

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 08:15:51 PM

Getting closer: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoinj/source/detail?r=89

Smiley

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:12:54 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2011, 07:33:13 PM by Vandroiy

This is awesome, bitcoinj appears to be on a good way to finish the job!

This might become the main Bitcoin client. Java is much more suited for this kind of thing anyways. (I'd prefer C# even more, but for some reason all the people prefer Oracle and its patent shit to Mono.)

Anyways, I have a problem now. So many people are working on this now, I don't know whom we should pay the bounty to when they finish!

Edit: I hope the 800-pledges don't chicken out now, just because it's about 8000 USD? I want to see those brave souls granting us android support credit! I can't wait to start paying random android users in BTC! Grin
sandos

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:30:23 AM

I believe some of this ransom was already payed?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: