Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:39:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Bitcoin Client Bounty (1740 BTC pledged)  (Read 44734 times)
sandos

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 08:55:39 PM

I would rather have a wallet. That remote is not very user-friendly. (Think your mom).

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brocktice

Activity: 292

Apparently I inspired this image.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2011, 09:03:22 PM

I would rather have a wallet. That remote is not very user-friendly. (Think your mom).

I would rather think *your* mom!

But seriously, I understand the desire for something more like having a wallet on my phone, and I think that would be good. However, his implementation meets my needs, and it most certainly meets the requirements I posted for paying out my share of the bounty. I think the UI could be made a little more intuitive, but AFAIAC that is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

http://media.witcoin.com/p/1608/8----This-is-nuts

My #bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=brocktice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Like my post? Leave me a tip: 15Cgixqno9YzoKNEA2DRFyEAfMH5htssRg
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 09:27:30 PM

Please don't anyone think of a "bounty" in terms of it being "a fair market price" for services.... as if someone was being "hired" to develop software.

It's NOT a payment for services.   It is a token "thank you" for your contribution to the larger community by providing excellent FOSS software for us all.

It is simply an AWARD, going to the best submission, and that award comes with a PRIZE attached.

If you think of it as a prize ---- not a fee --- then no one can (should) complain about the amount being too small.
sandos

Activity: 440

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
January 19, 2011, 11:08:56 AM

Please don't anyone think of a "bounty" in terms of it being "a fair market price" for services.... as if someone was being "hired" to develop software.

Market prices are never fair, are they? Smiley They're just... optimized.

Anyway, is anyone continuing work on this even without the huge bounty?

Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2011, 03:32:30 PM

I'm working on it in my spare time, and also a few others have started.
I'm not sure when I'll be able to release anything, but I got a pretty solid protocol layer worked out, just has to be tested against the Devices capabilities. The Crypto APIs are a bit harder because Android has a crippled version of the Bouncycastle, that don't provide RIPEMD-160 and ECDSA secp256k1, but I think I got that figured that out as well. I'm kinda slow with the crypto stuff, but I should get it running sometimes after my exams ^^

Edit: nearly forgot the important stuff: the network and wallet code will be released under the Apache License 2.0, the Android client itself will not, but everyone will be able to write their own :-) Also I'm interested in sharing the open source code as soon as possible, but releasing it now would just end up in thousands of forks that do not contribute to each other, so if there are developers interested in joining the java library effort please tell me, and you can start judging the ugliness of my code, or start contributing. The goal is to have a solid base implementation on which to implement additional services and interfaces.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 19, 2011, 03:39:10 PM

I'm working on it in my spare time, and also a few others have started.
I'm not sure when I'll be able to release anything, but I got a pretty solid protocol layer worked out, just has to be tested against the Devices capabilities. The Crypto APIs are a bit harder because Android has a crippled version of the Bouncycastle, that don't provide RIPEMD-160 and ECDSA secp256k1, but I think I got that figured that out as well. I'm kinda slow with the crypto stuff, but I should get it running sometimes after my exams ^^

I whish I knew more GUI programming, because to me everything could be easily done with a bit of shell scripting.   openssl would do all encryption/digest/signing you might need, just as in my bitcoin-bash-tools.  There is also a qrencode program for encoding a QR code, and zbar-tools for scanning.  Obexftp would handle bluetooth communications.  Everything else could be done withh the bitcoind command line client itself.  So all we need is a GUI scripting language that could organize all this.  So : is there a port of zenity on Androïd ??

ElectricGoat

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2011, 03:48:21 PM

Android is not a GNU platform, even if it runs Linux. You'd have to port a lot of the tools you're using in your shell scripts. I'm not even sure bash is readily available. Zenity isn't, and would require a lot of work to port. However, there is a simple XML description language for building Android GUI's; scripting that could be easier.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2011, 03:50:51 PM

Android is not a GNU platform, even if it runs Linux. You'd have to port a lot of the tools you're using in your shell scripts. I'm not even sure bash is readily available. Zenity isn't, and would require a lot of work to port. However, there is a simple XML description language for building Android GUI's; scripting that could be easier.

Well, I guess you're right.  Thanks for reminding me why I dislike Androïd.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 19, 2011, 09:31:00 PM

What about adding Busybox?  Or even all of the GNU tools neccessary to make Android a full GNU/Linux compatible?  Considering that most people who are using an android smartphone are almost always connected to the Internet, it's not unreasonable to have symlinks to an entire set of libraries on the cloud.  For that matter, how big would a staticly linked bitcoind binary be?  HAs anyone tried it to find out?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
tcatm

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
January 19, 2011, 09:36:10 PM

Statically linked bitcoind for android is about 4 MB.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 03:55:54 AM

What about just getting rid of Android and join the MeeGo project ?

kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 03:58:09 AM

What about just getting rid of Android and join the MeeGo project ?

MeeGo is dead meat.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 06:30:23 AM

Statically linked bitcoind for android is about 4 MB.

Excellent.  That's nothing.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 01:23:01 PM

MeeGo is dead meat.

Bitcoin might be the killer app that MeeGo needs to propel it to success.

From a porting point of view, MeeGo is by far the most practical smartphone platform, because it directly supports a fairly standard Linux build process.

Noble effort. But it's like trying to propel linux to the desktop in a world of window.

FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2011, 03:44:19 PM

Noble effort. But it's like trying to propel linux to the desktop in a world of window.
Hasn't this been done?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 03:50:52 PM

Hasn't this been done?

As far as I know, desktop Linux barely have any marketshare.

FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2011, 04:17:22 PM

As far as I know, desktop Linux barely have any marketshare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption

There's no good way to measure the market share of Linux, but it certainly more than barely there. We're getting off topic though.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 07:05:16 PM

if there are developers interested in joining the java library effort please tell me, and you can start judging the ugliness of my code, or start contributing. The goal is to have a solid base implementation on which to implement additional services and interfaces.

I'll take a look at it. Let me know.

Buy & Hold
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2011, 12:53:54 PM

Any favorite communication/sharing channels?

I'm personally trying to get to grips with gerrit, which might be a good way to ensure code quality by code review, also it allows automatic builds and checks via hudson  Cool

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 08:17:15 AM

How about #bitcoin-dev on freenode?

Buy & Hold
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: