Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:39:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Bitcoin Client Bounty (1740 BTC pledged)  (Read 44734 times)
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 12:54:59 PM

Well I can share single classes there but as I said I don't want to make it world accessible yet.

What I want is a community working on improving a single network/protocol core implementation in Java, and having 10 independent forks just reduces the collaboration. I want to create a functional core before releasing mainly to group interested people around it to help improve and maintain it, and then we can make it completely public.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 11:50:56 PM

Just to let the subscribers of this thread know:

Based on bitcoinj, I've created and uploaded a first, experimental Bitcoin wallet implementation for Android:

http://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

You can send money just by scanning a QR code the app displays. You need to install one of the QR code scanning apps for this to work (e.g. "Goggle").

The app currently only works for testnet. Because testnet is very slow in transaction processing, it currently takes ages to update the wallet. Unfortunately, I can't switch to prodnet, because Android apps only got 4 MB of heap memory and that's not enough for the blockchain. You can use the emulator and assign a max heap size of 32 MB though.

GPLv3'ed source available here: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 03:19:27 PM

Any news on this? The thread must be revived!

I also pledge minimum 20 BTC for a functional lightweight android client, but I might donate more if I like it and it turns out being actually used by other people, so I can exchange money with them wherever I am without juggling change. Smiley

Please continue this, I think it's quite important for BitCoin to have a portable version that's easy to use -- otherwise it's not much of a wallet.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 03:25:06 PM

Any news on this? The thread must be revived!

I also pledge minimum 20 BTC for a functional lightweight android client, but I might donate more if I like it and it turns out being actually used by other people, so I can exchange money with them wherever I am without juggling change. Smiley

Please continue this, I think it's quite important for BitCoin to have a portable version that's easy to use -- otherwise it's not much of a wallet.

And so the prize tag of the bounty had increased.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 10:49:01 PM

Andreas is making steady progress. I think the next release is blocked on a working BoundedMemoryStore, which I'm planning on tackling after a few other things.
Belkaar

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 01:59:01 PM

Hello Everyone,

i just created my first Android App. It's a RPC client for bitcoind.
Right now it can show you some stats

(tap on the hashrate to start/stop mining)

and can send bitcoins to an address.

Feel free to try it out
http://lwinet-server.dyndns.org/external/bitcoiner/net.lwi.BitCoiner.apk

Plans for the future (if and when i got time):
-QR-code integration for sending and receiving coins
-Show correct account balance (currently the bitcoind api only counts the received coins, not the sent ones)
-Maybe instant currency conversion
-Localization
-Release source code when its not that embarrassing any more :-)

Any thoughts?

Belkaar

P.S. I don't want to qualify for the bounty but donations are welcome :-)
1As5wGKDLovNPWQ3Me7z4abhhH3HgWBshd

bitcoinCodes.com: Get XBox live, PSN and WoW game time codes fast and anonymously
Android RPC client: Bitcoiner
Bitmessage: BM-GtcxVju35PGuD6es9vrF1SXtCVxScbjB
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 06:40:49 PM

I look forward to trying it when the source code is available. Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 07:10:48 PM

Hello Everyone,

i just created my first Android App. It's a RPC client for bitcoind.
Any thoughts?

Didn't a remote client for Android already exist?  I thought someone had that one licked back in July.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Belkaar

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 06:14:43 AM

[/quote]
Didn't a remote client for Android already exist?  I thought someone had that one licked back in July.
[/quote]

If so please point me to it. No point in doing the stuff twice.

bitcoinCodes.com: Get XBox live, PSN and WoW game time codes fast and anonymously
Belkaar

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 06:22:34 AM

Here it is then :-). But you've been warned, it ain't pretty.

http://lwinet-server.dyndns.org/external/bitcoiner/BitCoiner_source.zip

Belkaar

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 07:06:45 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2011, 07:43:25 AM by em3rgentOrdr

How do I install this on my Android device?  Fyi I have a rooted Motorola Attic 4G running Android 2.6.1. and have terminal access.

Actually i just now found it in the bitcoin market.  Installs fine and runs, but I need to setup a server with a static ip I guess.

But what I would really like is to run bitcoin daemon locally on my Android...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Cdecker

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 10:12:44 AM

That's what the bounty is about ^^

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Belkaar

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 10:15:11 AM

Actually i just now found it in the bitcoin market.  Installs fine and runs, but I need to setup a server with a static ip I guess.

It works just fine with a home server and dynamic dns (i.e. dyndns.org). Thats what i wrote it for.

Having a wallet on my phone is way to dangerous for me since i'm wiping my phone whenever a new rom pop up :-). One of the times I'd surely miss backing it up.

As I said. I'm not after the bounty. Just thought it was the right place to post it.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 02:30:16 PM

Installed fine, and fired up at first, but after inputting the neccessary data, I now get...

"Sorry!
The application BitCoiner (process net.lwl.bitcoiner) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again.

(Force Close)"

It doesn't seem to matter how many times I try.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 03:18:07 PM

Here it is then :-). But you've been warned, it ain't pretty.

http://lwinet-server.dyndns.org/external/bitcoiner/BitCoiner_source.zip

Belkaar
Is BitCoiner available via the Market ?
(btw: I guess there are already two other implementations of that: "BitcoinDroid" and "Miner Status")

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 10:04:01 PM

That's what the bounty is about ^^

I just got this new Android, and I might try porting the JAVA Bitcoin client to Android.  What would be the minimum requirements to claim this bounty?  If I can get a simple text or menu interface that is able to download the hash chain, mine coins, send coins, and do everything else that the regular client can do, does that mean I qualify for this bounty?  What is the approval process to obtain t he bounty involve?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Cdecker

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 10:17:28 PM

I just got this new Android, and I might try porting the JAVA Bitcoin client to Android.  What would be the minimum requirements to claim this bounty?  If I can get a simple text or menu interface that is able to download the hash chain, mine coins, send coins, and do everything else that the regular client can do, does that mean I qualify for this bounty?  What is the approval process to obtain t he bounty involve?
I don't think you'll ever want to mine bitcoins on a phone, so that's not required. The bounty is not controlled by a single person so the requirements might differ. Most pledgers will probably agree that:
  • It needs to participate as a node in the network (e.g. no remoting of a Bitcoin client running on another machine)
  • Be able to receive and send bitcoins
  • Be open source (GPL, Apache, BSD, you name it, but the source must be distributed and we must be allowed to reuse it in other places)
  • Backup and restore would be nice
And as for the "Java Bitcoin client" there is none yet. There are only two implementations of the networking protocol: [mike]'s great work with bitcoinj (quite complete, and already at the base of a test client on android) and my BitDroid-Network implementation (which is quite unfinished because I wanted to put the blockchain and crypto operations into another module but never got to it, but I still maintain that for many connections mine performs better ^^).
I hope to see some of your code someday Cheesy

Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Belkaar

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 12:17:24 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2011, 05:08:19 PM by sirius

No. Since its not finished Im to cheap for the 25$ Android market fee ( which i find ridicolous considering google also collects a sales percentage :-)

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 12:38:36 AM

No. Since its not finished Im to cheap for the 25$ Android market fee ( which i find ridicolous considering google also collects a sales percentage :-)

Wait, do free apps have to pay this fee also?

SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 09:26:09 AM

Wasn`t aware of the market fee. Shame on you Open Handset Alliance !

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: