Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:49:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witch Hunts of Our Contemporary Democracy  (Read 817 times)
BinaryMage (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:03:27 AM

Disclaimer: I am a US citizen by birth.

Disgusting. All idealistic notions of liberty just get thrown away without a second glance when someone introduces a little chaos into our precious order. Self-appointed internet justiciars completely destroying the future of perfectly innocent people based on racial profiling of cell phone pictures and speculative Facebook profile browsing. Street mobs cheering on the police, waving American flags, chanting "USA". "Euphoria in Boston" tops the CNN front page. Constitutional rights tossed aside at the whim of prosecutors. And I thought witch hunts ended a few centuries ago.

Perhaps Christopher Nolan was not a director, but a prophet.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 06:05:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FFVWEQnSM

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:06:38 AM

Really makes you wonder if we'll ever move forward.  We're still living as the Egyptians did, in better circumstances but the same system all the same.

fivemileshigh

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:29:27 AM

We've still moved forward, albeit in effect if not essence. Slavery is now much more subtle, and we have BITCOIN!!!!! Yaaaaayyyy!! Smiley
Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:31:52 AM

History will remember the 20th century as the last century of the dark ages, and the 21st century as the century that we break free.
buuu

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:20:15 PM

History will remember the 20th century as the last century of the dark ages, and the 21st century as the century that we break free.

Haha do You really believe in what You just said?
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 02:23:24 PM

Haha do You really believe in what You just said?
It is rather optimistic, isn't it?

Of course, those that never dream, never dare. Those that never dare, never do.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
optimator

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 02:38:28 PM

I think about the shackles our forefathers fought to release....

And I have to believe that as dear as the escape from repression was to our forefather, our descendants will demand freedom from financial tyranny as a prerequisite for any government.

It does make me sad that today you can drop the terror word and anything after that can not be questioned. Because by questioning you become a terrorist.

Si Robertson

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 04:45:12 PM

Really makes you wonder if we'll ever move forward.  We're still living as the Egyptians did, in better circumstances but the same system all the same.

Once my grandmother decides to buy is when I sell.
1m1nd

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:04:37 PM

maybe those thought paradigms will be obsolete in the future.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:07:53 PM

It's sad, but it seems like rights are only treasured by those who have lived without them.  Sad

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:41:39 PM

Disclaimer: I am a US citizen by birth.

Disgusting. All idealistic notions of liberty just get thrown away without a second glance when someone introduces a little chaos into our precious order. Self-appointed internet justiciars completely destroying the future of perfectly innocent people based on racial profiling of cell phone pictures and speculative Facebook profile browsing. Street mobs cheering on the police, waving American flags, chanting "USA". "Euphoria in Boston" tops the CNN front page. Constitutional rights tossed aside at the whim of prosecutors. And I thought witch hunts ended a few centuries ago.

Perhaps Christopher Nolan was not a director, but a prophet.

Democracies are well able to cope with normal crime.  Simple murders of family members are not even regarded as newsworthy even though more people are murdered that way in a year than by terrorism in a century. 

Democracies find organised campaigns of violence harder to deal with.  There is something unnerving about killers who are simply ordered to go somewhere and kill people at random.  There is a feeling you can't reason with these people.  There are feeling that you are not safe to go out.  This causes draconian laws like the Offences against the State Act in Ireland which abolished the right to silence and the right to jury trial for suspected terrorists and the US Patriot Act which I believe does the same.

If Irish history is anything to go by, things do get better.  People get used to terrorism and it becomes just another crime.  Stupid laws stop being used because politicians are fed up with the hysteria.  Sadly, you will need a fair few more attacks before the US gets things in perspective but it will come.
canada

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:43:45 PM

check out this awesome gold nugget. it takes the cake. the witchunt mob doesn't even have the right country (oh wait, that sounds a little familiar .. no matter). it's funny, but in a really sad scary way.

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48547675807/the-definitive-people-who-thought-chechnya-was-the
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: