Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:04:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Size of Blockchain  (Read 868 times)
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:01:26 AM

Can anyone tell me how I find out the current size of the Blockchain saved on my computer? I run regular virus scans and I notice that it takes longer for it to finish every time so I'm thinking this might be due to my downloading of the Blockchain?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:02:42 AM

I couldn't tell you for sure, but, if you'd like an alternative wallet that doesn't have to download the blockchain, you might want to check out Electrum.

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:04:42 AM

~8GB

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:19:11 AM

Can anyone tell me how I find out the current size of the Blockchain saved on my computer? I run regular virus scans and I notice that it takes longer for it to finish every time so I'm thinking this might be due to my downloading of the Blockchain?

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
ShakerRaiders87

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:48:37 AM

I couldn't tell you for sure, but, if you'd like an alternative wallet that doesn't have to download the blockchain, you might want to check out Electrum.

Thank you for the tip.  My blockchain is taking up something like 7GB on my PC and I am almost out of space on my hard drive. I'm going to uninstall what's there and go with a new wallet.
solf

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:29:36 AM

What if I get coins when the blockchain is not fully downloaded?
PC_LOAD_LETTER

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:06:02 PM

The money is 'in the network', if you already have an address and the private key to the wallet, you will still 'receive' your funds.
lindonclark86

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:31:06 PM

You can still get money into your address, you just won't be able to see the total balance if you have not downloaded the block that containes the transaction.
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:32:35 PM

Thanks for the advice. I already have Electrum running from my USB. I have plenty of space on my HD, but 8GB just seems like too much and it's only getting larger. Plus, I have  LTC client on my PC as well and those transactions are faster meaning more blocks are created faster and I end up with huge chunks of my HD taken up. Oh well, I'd get rid of them and switch to a lighter client but I just love the fact that I'm "part of the network". Ha ha!
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 06:56:25 AM

Can the Blockchain ever overwrite really old blocks and just maintain a balance between not so old and fresh blocks?
yrashk

Activity: 20

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 07:00:47 AM

You can learn about blockchain size without having a fully downloaded one as well using this chart https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:34:17 AM

Can the Blockchain ever overwrite really old blocks and just maintain a balance between not so old and fresh blocks?

There are some blockchain pruning solutions that have been discussed. As far as I know, none of them have been fully implemented yet.
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:37:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. Hey I notice your anonymous BTC purchase service ad is gone from your signature space. Do you not provide that service anymore?
blackriver

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:05:21 AM

but if it keeps on the pc, not on the network, and other chain gets longer, doesn't our block becomes worthless ?

cornellwils7

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:22:03 AM

Your blocks will serve as extra confirmation that certain transaction is indeed valid. It won't really be useless.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:32:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. Hey I notice your anonymous BTC purchase service ad is gone from your signature space. Do you not provide that service anymore?

I had been using the BitFloor exchange to quickly purchase bitcoins at/near the current market rate for that service.  BitFloor permanently shut down earlier this week.  I therefore have two issues that are currently preventing me from providing the service.

First, I need to find a new convenient source of bitcoins with relatively low fees and the ability to acquire the bitcoins at or very near the current market rate at a moments notice.

Second, most of the funds I had available for running that service were on deposit at BitFloor as U.S. Dollars ready to be used immediately.  This allowed me to make the purchase without delay whenever any cash was received.  Unfortunately, BitFloor states it may be a few weeks before those funds are released back to me.  Until I have access to that cash, I don't have the funds necessary to provide the service as reliably as I would want to.

Therefore, I've pulled down my ad until both the funds from BitFloor are returned to me and I can find a new source of fast cheap bitcoins.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:37:23 AM

but if it keeps on the pc, not on the network, and other chain gets longer, doesn't our block becomes worthless ?

I don't understand your question.  Can you rephrase it or provide additional detail?

Your blocks will serve as extra confirmation that certain transaction is indeed valid. It won't really be useless.

I don't believe anyone in this thread is discussing the broadcasting of new blocks, are they?
tmbp

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:32:32 AM

You don't need to download the blockchain unless you run a service.
walletrss

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:18:21 PM

once your client connects to the internet it will update your copy
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 05:27:40 AM

I had been using the BitFloor exchange to quickly purchase bitcoins at/near the current market rate for that service.  BitFloor permanently shut down earlier this week.  I therefore have two issues that are currently preventing me from providing the service.

First, I need to find a new convenient source of bitcoins with relatively low fees and the ability to acquire the bitcoins at or very near the current market rate at a moments notice.

Second, most of the funds I had available for running that service were on deposit at BitFloor as U.S. Dollars ready to be used immediately.  This allowed me to make the purchase without delay whenever any cash was received.  Unfortunately, BitFloor states it may be a few weeks before those funds are released back to me.  Until I have access to that cash, I don't have the funds necessary to provide the service as reliably as I would want to.

Therefore, I've pulled down my ad until both the funds from BitFloor are returned to me and I can find a new source of fast cheap bitcoins.

Oh I see, let me know if you ever start it up again I wouldn't mind trying it out.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: