Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:48:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will ASIC destroy bitcoin?  (Read 1578 times)
ltbtdk (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:25:09 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2013, 02:01:07 PM by ltbtdk

I was wondering if the ASIC miners will destroy bitcoin my making it flow more freely? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

<adding one of my replies to my OP so it can be more descriptive>
<
My fear is that ASICs will out mine everyone, giving only a select few, with the capital to afford asics, the ability to mine. Since there is no government forcing people to use bit-coins unlike EUR, USD, etc..., as they become more rare people wont waste there time because unlike the USD they have other options. Then BTC will drop for another Coin and thus will begin the cycle of crypts-currencies. Once they are no longer able to be mined, why waste time? Due to the difficulty of BTC, i rarely try to mine anymore and with ASICs in the picture I will not at all unless i can pony up to get one. I have moved to other coins in hopes that I can ride them up before the difficulty gets too great.

To me one of the beautiful things about crypto-currency is that through decentralization, if someone controlled too much of it, it will just be sold off by everyone else because whats the point in dealing with a currency that only a few people control, and you don't have to because no government is backing or forcing you to use it.  But using this premise will asics bring the beginning of the end?

I guess my fear is that due to fast over mining, will the cryptos just cycle in and out, BTC then LTC then PPC then TRC then etc... making them not appealing to the massses, allowing for a centralized version to step in, defeating the entire purpose of the cryptos in the first place?

This is just something I have been pondering and really wanted to get some input from others. Should have been more descriptive in my OP.
>
mitsanaga

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:42:35 AM

it will definitely speed up the process, but im curious as to how much? i mean, it wont destroy them, as the difficulty should skyrocket to proportions that would make it hard for even low end asic machines. remember, there are more than just bitcoins. lite coins and terra coins are like silver and copper as bitcoin is to gold if you were to relate them to something more real world. namecoins will always be useful for some, and im sure there are others out there that will slowly dwindle away and fade. but those 4 are from what i believe after 3-4 years of watching all of this go by, and am now confident to say those are the four to mine. im more curiouse as to what asics will do to those other three, seeing as asic is for bitcoin only... or am i wrong?
AlphaWolf

Activity: 217
Merit: 120

Presale is live!

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:50:26 AM

The network will continue to adjust itself, and blocks will continue to be solved (on average) every 10 minutes... for now, and until the end of time.  ASICs do not change this.

At this time, ASICs have only been developed for sha256 double hash, which Bitcoin uses.  Litecoin uses scrypt, so current ASICs won't work.  Litecoin won't see ASICs until there is much broader adoption and higher competition.

puffpuffpass

Activity: 70

I'm nobody.

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:55:19 AM

So long as Bitcoins are used for something, they cannot be destroyed. The fact that there is a 21 million limit on Bitcoins makes it inconceivable that they could be destroyed. Sure they might drop in value but I do not suspect by much. There is continual demand for Bitcoin as it has become a widely used international means of exchange, and it's growing every day. I used to trade penny stocks and they would run up high with nothing going for them, and with over 200 million shares issued, that would still be considered a very low amount. Google's stock trades at nearly $799.87 (last price) and they have 267.71 MILLION shares floating out there, with 329.66 million "outstanding." Do the math. Bitcoin could go VERY high. This could just be the beginning.

I have a bitcoin address that anyone can send BTC too, so I'm going to post it
on my sig because I think someone is going to randomly give me their BTC:
1D37qouguK5rNh1mSZDocgVCvA2rxsAgLp Roll Eyes
JaneY

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:06:02 PM

No
luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:19:07 PM

ASICS will save the environment since efficiency would be higher! I dream that one day only ASICS will mine
all the currencies Smiley
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:36:39 PM

don't think so

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
Hei_

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:38:15 PM

asics out btc price up
lexico

Activity: 32

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:06:39 PM

yes
aikklond
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:07:33 PM

no of cource not, just make it more rare
norick

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:36:08 PM

ASICs would destroy bitcoin, only if their ownership was highly concentrated. Given that there are many initiatives to distribute them among bitcoiners, ASICs will rather make the network more robust.
ghostlander
Legendary

Activity: 1239
Merit: 1020

No surrender, no retreat, no regret.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 01:45:19 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2016, 12:19:39 AM by ghostlander

ASICs won't destroy anything. Hash rates and difficulty will rise and that's all about it. GPU mining has to go just like CPU mining has gone already unless you've got free electricity.

"If you've got a problem and have to spread some coins to make it go away, you've got no problem. You've got an expence." ~ Phoenixcoin (PXC) and Orbitcoin (ORB) and Halcyon (HAL)
ltbtdk (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:47:29 PM

My fear is that ASICs will out mine everyone, giving only a select few, with the capital to afford asics, the ability to mine. Since there is no government forcing people to use bit-coins unlike EUR, USD, etc..., as they become more rare people wont waste there time because unlike the USD they have other options. Then BTC will drop for another Coin and thus will begin the cycle of crypts-currencies. Once they are no longer able to be mined, why waste time? Due to the difficulty of BTC, i rarely try to mine anymore and with ASICs in the picture I will not at all unless i can pony up to get one. I have moved to other coins in hopes that I can ride them up before the difficulty gets too great.

To me one of the beautiful things about crypto-currency is that through decentralization, if someone controlled too much of it, it will just be sold off by everyone else because whats the point in dealing with a currency that only a few people control, and you don't have to because no government is backing or forcing you to use it.  But using this premise will asics bring the beginning of the end?

I guess my fear is that due to fast over mining, will the cryptos just cycle in and out, BTC then LTC then PPC then TRC then etc... making them not appealing to the massses, allowing for a centralized version to step in, defeating the entire purpose of the cryptos in the first place?

This is just something I have been pondering and really wanted to get some input from others. Should have been more descriptive in my OP.

Dark3nedFaith

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:52:03 PM

Naturally with ASICS coming out, scrypt based coins will be the only ones available to the common masses. I wouldn't say that ASICS would destroy the bitcoin, rather just make it so that only a small amount of people will be generating bitcoins because the difficulty will be so high. I think that there might be a dip in price because ASICS will be pumping out coins, but once the difficulty is raised to a certain point and the flow of bitcoins trickles down, the price will steadily rise again.
derpminer

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:52:43 PM

Mining btc with anything but asics? yes.
Kill the currency? no.
teresabelek

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:54:44 PM

the amount of coins are limited, so it's just a matter of time since all are found.
at first the rate may go down a bit, but will recover...
cardan2

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:01:44 PM

I think ASIC can't destroy bitcoin, but it will change all market, mining with GPU will be no profitable
ghostlander
Legendary

Activity: 1239
Merit: 1020

No surrender, no retreat, no regret.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 02:02:15 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2016, 12:23:05 AM by ghostlander

>I guess my fear is that due to fast over mining, will the cryptos just cycle in and out

There is no overmining. The reward is constant at 3600 BTC per day since Dec-2012 until the next split in ~4 years.

Scrypt based ASICs will also appear some day. Litecoin is too weak now, not worth to spend a few million $ on such a project.

"If you've got a problem and have to spread some coins to make it go away, you've got no problem. You've got an expence." ~ Phoenixcoin (PXC) and Orbitcoin (ORB) and Halcyon (HAL)
edarta

Activity: 29

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:33:04 PM

My fear is that ASICs will out mine everyone, giving only a select few, with the capital to afford asics, the ability to mine.

Asics won't destroy bitcoin but will be a part of bitcoins evolution and maturing network. I believe everyone who wants to, will be able to take part in the asic era. Currently the demand for asic mining machines is higher than what is available on the market which drives up prices for machines and even pre-orders, but that will change when other companies build asic mining machines and don't forget that people in this community are also working on a DIY (Do It Yourself) asic mining machine.
Fuyuki_Wataru

Activity: 167

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:37:14 PM

ASICs themselves cannot destroy Bitcoin. Though I believe that it will however have a big impact on the community.

The small student miner will in the future no longer be able to mine profit out of BTC, due to the large competition from bigger miners who got ASICs.

I personally like Litecoin more due to the fact that there aren't ASICs for it, but in the future this might change for Litecoin as well... Who knows.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    delicia | delicia.io    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Global Food Network | World's Only Solution to Food Wastage | Join Whitelist Now, Get 30% Bonus
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Whitepaper | Telegram | Medium | Twitter | FB | ANN    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: