Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:12:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Signature Outside Signature Space  (Read 1424 times)
botany (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Could any of the mods please clarify whether signatures outside the signature space are tolerated? I was under the impression that they weren't.

It occurred to me that I should write a little about this in case anyone's wondering about what dogie's doing, or why other people are getting banned for somewhat similar activity:

Ads are typically not allowed in posts (outside of the signature area) because they are annoying and off-topic. It is especially disallowed to put ads or signatures at the bottom of all of your posts. Except for traditional valedictions, which are tolerated but discouraged, signatures are for the signature area only.

However, if you are using the forum as a publishing platform to host something really substantial and useful, selling ads in that substantial work is allowed. To be eligible for this, your post must be in a topic that you started, and your post must be substantial and long enough to make the ad seem entirely insignificant. If in doubt, ask me.

But Directdice seems to be doing it with impunity. I have reported his posts multiple times, but there seems to be no change.

Congratulations 2Pac and valgfx for predicting the correct score in our Ice Hockey Prediction Game !
DirectBet Ice Hockey Prediction Game *** Win Free Bets ! *** Free to Enter !
NHL
Columbus Blue Jackets @ Ottawa Senators
Post your prediction for the correct score in our Ice Hockey Prediction Game thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=828984.0

Good Luck !
Michelle
https://www.DirectBet.eu

Hi Too.Cool,
Thank you very much for your suggestion Smiley
Adding livescore is on our wish list.
Please feel free to contact us if you need anything else.

Thanks a lot !

All the Best,
Michelle

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:25:35 AM

What part do you think is the advertisement? Is it this:
If so, then I would argue that it is part of a valedictions which is allowed as per the post from theymos that you quoted. This is not unlike what you would see in an email that is not the first email in a chain.
botany (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 01:08:57 AM

What part do you think is the advertisement? Is it this:
If so, then I would argue that it is part of a valedictions which is allowed as per the post from theymos that you quoted. This is not unlike what you would see in an email that is not the first email in a chain.

Having a link to your website is an advertisement.
I don't think by any stretch it can be considered a traditional valediction.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 01:22:46 AM

I disagree, especially when considering that the link was to the website that was the topic of the thread they were posting in.

There are many other examples when posting a link to a [your] website is not an advertisement, such as a discussion in which that website might come up.

It is not the forum's role to very broadly enforce the rules strictly to a "t"; it is the forum's role to enable the discussion of topics related to Bitcoin, and to prevent things that will hinder said discussion.
botany (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 02:58:21 AM

I disagree, especially when considering that the link was to the website that was the topic of the thread they were posting in.
There are many other examples when posting a link to a [your] website is not an advertisement, such as a discussion in which that website might come up.

That is a stretch, but even then the signatures/links are not restricted only to the Directbet thread.
Here is an example. This is a post stating that the user's PM has been replied to.
The link to the website is nothing but advertising.

sir , i have send u PM . please read Smiley
thanks before

Hi kendari,
Thank you for your message Smiley
We answered your PM.

Please feel free to contact us if you need anything else.
Thanks a lot !

All the Best,
Michelle

It is not the forum's role to very broadly enforce the rules strictly to a "t"; it is the forum's role to enable the discussion of topics related to Bitcoin, and to prevent things that will hinder said discussion.

I do understand that the mods are the final authority while interpreting rules on the forum. That is one reason why I asked them to clarify on this point.
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 09:47:57 AM

I'm sure theymos didn't mean that.There is a difference, "posting a website link" and "posting an add with bbcode or other graphics".To sum it up,as long as it's not annoying it is okay to be there.Posting links is not considered as advertisements as long as it's relevant.If someone needs to know a website to create an online wallet and if I post a link in their thread,doesn't mean I'm advertizing the website.

These are the type of advertisements that need prior permission from theymos before posting :
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=615953.0

botany (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 01:15:41 AM

I'm sure theymos didn't mean that.There is a difference, "posting a website link" and "posting an add with bbcode or other graphics".To sum it up,as long as it's not annoying it is okay to be there.Posting links is not considered as advertisements as long as it's relevant.If someone needs to know a website to create an online wallet and if I post a link in their thread,doesn't mean I'm advertizing the website.

These are the type of advertisements that need prior permission from theymos before posting :
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=615953.0

It would have been preferable for a moderator to clarify on this. If this is acceptable, I don't see why people can not post referral links or other links (without bbcode or graphics) below all their posts.
I am not talking about relevant links here (link which is a response to a question, link to a source, etc.)
botany (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 11:24:19 AM

You have a newbie advertising Betopen.Co through this method as well.
This kind of defeats the "Links not allowed in signatures" restriction for newbies.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=958484;sa=showPosts
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 01:30:10 PM

This kind of defeats the "Links not allowed in signatures" restriction for newbies.

Well,I don't think you understand what "not allowed in signature means".Had it been BBcode or outside of that thread where it would be considered off-topic ,then you're free to report.He is posting the links in the thread that he has created for solely advertising his own company or whatever.
twats

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 01:33:39 PM

Michelle's link is informing people that she works for and represents DirectBet, it should be ok
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 11:24:14 PM

First of all, it's not signature, secondly, these links are not off-topic. These links only shows that Michelle is is representing Directbet. And it's normal thing to advertise service in their own threads.
But if users would start to write signature codes in their posts which is not related to topic content, it would be absolute against forum rules.

botany (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 01:30:22 AM

Well,I don't think you understand what "not allowed in signature means".Had it been BBcode or outside of that thread where it would be considered off-topic ,then you're free to report.He is posting the links in the thread that he has created for solely advertising his own company or whatever.

This is not strictly true.
This is a post in the tennis league thread. Although the post does say that you can bet on tennis match at BetOpen, in my opinion the rest of the post is blatant advertising.

Check out Indian Wells matches available for betting today on BetOpen platform,
participants including Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Dimitrov, Nishikori, Kyrgios, Del Potro and others:

INDIAN WELLS

Bet now and win BIG.
Get 125% first deposit (250mBTC) and 50% parlay bonuses!
No withdrawal fees
No ID verification, we respect anonymity

Good Luck!
-------------------------
BETOPEN.CO

I was looking for clarity on the rule from the moderators. It does seem like that they want to keep this in the grey area.
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 02:54:49 AM

This is why in other forums posting links or anything with .com, or .net or anything that when clicked will send you to another page outside the forum is not allowed, it also creates a back link for SEO and for them to post a mesaage that needs to say something about a site they have to do away with posting like this bitcointalk(dot)org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: