Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:49:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally some good press about Bitcoins! Maybe this isnt the end! :)  (Read 2039 times)
fireside (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 01:31:19 AM

I just found this article today. Hooray for MtGox for standing up for Bitcoins against the two clueless senators and the DEA.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/06/15/financial-bitcoin-idINN1510930920110615

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 01:36:20 AM

good to hear.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 01:45:06 AM

standing up for Bitcoins against the two clueless senators and the DEA.

sounds more like rolling over

business is business though: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17694.0
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 01:52:48 AM

The joke is on the government, though. The exchanges are only necessary until bitcoin dominates just one currency - then the rest fall to the ground like leaves in the fall. (And probably worth as much as leaves, too.)

It will take time, but that is where I see it headed...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
fireside (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:04:15 AM

I disagree because the way things were going bitcoins would be outlawed in months within the US. The ignorance of the two senators blows my mind. And how they act on that ignorance without even taking the time to look into bitcoins shows you how sad our government and our representatives have become. The only way to keep bitcoins alive is to have some transparency with the government only to the extent as to keep drug dealers and money launderers away from bitcoins. If we cannot seperate ourselves from illegal activity bitcoin as a whole will fall.

I do understand though that it can be a shady area cooperating with the federal government. If they do just enough to help seperate criminals from upstanding citizens it will be fine in my eyes. But if they go as far as letting the government in as any kind of a regulatory role then it will ruin the whole purpose of bitcoins. But thankfully as of now MtGox seems to only want to help fight crime when asked not open the doors. A quote from that article:

" Quote from: Bind on June 15, 2011, 10:37:36 pm
I think ONLY  under legal and required circumstances (court orders), all bitcoin business should cooperate with the law. Not to appease an outraged and out of control legislator, general public, or governments, and certainly not make bitcoins appear more legitimate.

That is we intend to do.

I do not want however to see US politicians go all over the place claiming incorrect things about Bitcoin, just because they are ignorant. They will cause global misinformation as whatever they say is echoed broadly.

We will comply to court orders valid under our jurisdiction after our lawyers confirm there is no other recourse available.
finnthecelt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:06:40 AM

Thank you for all the publicity Senator.....   Cool
finnthecelt

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:10:37 AM

I disagree because the way things were going bitcoins would be outlawed in months within the US. The ignorance of the two senators blows my mind. And how they act on that ignorance without even taking the time to look into bitcoins shows you how sad our government and our representatives have become. The only way to keep bitcoins alive is to have some transparency with the government only to the extent as to keep drug dealers and money launderers away from bitcoins. If we cannot seperate ourselves from illegal activity bitcoin as a whole will fall.

I do understand though that it can be a shady area cooperating with the federal government. If they do just enough to help seperate criminals from upstanding citizens it will be fine in my eyes. But if they go as far as letting the government in as any kind of a regulatory role then it will ruin the whole purpose of bitcoins. But thankfully as of now MtGox seems to only want to help fight crime when asked not open the doors. A quote from that article:

" Quote from: Bind on June 15, 2011, 10:37:36 pm
I think ONLY  under legal and required circumstances (court orders), all bitcoin business should cooperate with the law. Not to appease an outraged and out of control legislator, general public, or governments, and certainly not make bitcoins appear more legitimate.

That is we intend to do.

I do not want however to see US politicians go all over the place claiming incorrect things about Bitcoin, just because they are ignorant. They will cause global misinformation as whatever they say is echoed broadly.

We will comply to court orders valid under our jurisdiction after our lawyers confirm there is no other recourse available.

I wonder has anyone reached out to the Senators to edumacate them or should we let them rant for awhile?
fireside (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:22:06 AM

I wonder has anyone reached out to the Senators to edumacate them or should we let them rant for awhile?

I have read some posts that some people have sent letters to these ignorant senators and urging others to do the same. Whether they listened or not i do not know.
fireside (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:34:52 AM

What needs to be done is get the word out about what bitcoins are truly about, not the word of ignorant media whore senators. The more good press we get the harder it will be for the two senators to try and go after it. If we get enough positive press it could become political suicide for them to continue. We need to counter the assumptions they are spreading around and show what bitcoins are about and what they represent. Also let the world know the uses and potential that bitcoins have. This is why i am glad MtGox is jumping in. They have the power to protect bitcoins.
finnthecelt

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:48:02 AM

What needs to be done is get the word out about what bitcoins are truly about, not the word of ignorant media whore senators. The more good press we get the harder it will be for the two senators to try and go after it. If we get enough positive press it could become political suicide for them to continue. We need to counter the assumptions they are spreading around and show what bitcoins are about and what they represent. Also let the world know the uses and potential that bitcoins have. This is why i am glad MtGox is jumping in. They have the power to protect bitcoins.

Well we can't just rely on the press, this also has to be a grass roots development. I'm doing my part. Everyone needs to understand it in a simple way.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:23:15 AM

I seriously doubt that any politician anywhere is going to take serious action to shut down a method by which they could receive untraceable bribes and kickbacks. They'll make a big scene and emit a lot of hot air but the existence of something like Bitcoin is too useful to get rid of.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 10:43:03 PM

I seriously doubt that any politician anywhere is going to take serious action to shut down a method by which they could receive untraceable bribes and kickbacks. They'll make a big scene and emit a lot of hot air but the existence of something like Bitcoin is too useful to get rid of.

Oh I would just love to see a whole news segment about a politician taking bribes in Bitcoin Cheesy
Vernon715

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 02:30:49 AM

Oh I would just love to see a whole news segment about a politician taking bribes in Bitcoin Cheesy

If that ever happens, it will make my day.

Please donate: 1FfJzfpGCXD6saKqmMs8W1qt9wouhA98Mj

http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/1642

rpgman1

Activity: 35

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 02:49:04 AM

The senators are all just puppets under the umbrella of the US gov't. Like how Germany wants their 300 tons of gold back, but the US said they'll get it back in 7 years while China and Hong Kong move around 700-800 tons of gold in just 1 year. Let's just say the senators are about as clueless as the rest of the gov't while we have to pay taxes for their ignorance and lack of knowledge. Makes them look like fools and they're suppose to represent the US people. Bitcoin will rise while the rest of the world abandon the US dollar due to mistrust of the US gov't.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: