Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:47:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using mathamatical proofs as currency backing  (Read 2241 times)
nx2059 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 03:03:18 AM

I don't know if this has been brought up, but one possible currency backing would be proofs to unsolved math problems.   Proofs to non trivial theorems have an intrinsic value, but also are completely abstract and can be stored and secured digitally.   Proofs can be used to help solve math/sci/engineering problems.  If Alice is writing a piece of software and needs proof of correctness.   She could go to an anonymous bitcoin exchange to buy the proof she needs.  The HOL theorem prover uses scripts written in the ML programming language to represent proofs.   This system could be used for checking proofs.   http://hol.sf.net
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 03:04:21 AM

Proofs are cool for sure. But I don't see how they can be money since you still have them after you 'spend' them.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
GeorgeH

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 04:51:43 AM

Novel idea, but I'd be concerned about counterfeiting.

I'd rep+ for thinking outside the box if we had rep!  Grin

1DSpPtPTGXTYjkZehPsiAbjkXLkB1jsZ2x
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 09:12:19 AM

Impressive how people are so concerned about "backing" money with something... you're missing the point.

And by the way, nothing has inherent value. Wink
Anonymous

November 17, 2010, 09:38:53 AM

Proofs are cool for sure. But I don't see how they can be money since you still have them after you 'spend' them.

I usually have proof that I spent money because my wife is wearing a new dress lol.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 11:27:19 AM

I usually have proof that I spent money because my wife is wearing a new dress lol.
Cheesy

matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 01:07:02 PM

You got that right, caveden.  It took me about three weeks to get over the "concern" with currency backing and the whole intrinsic vs. extrinsic debate, but I finally GOT IT and now i almost lose my temper every time i have to go over the concept with other economists, traders, and even developers.  Paper currency notes have no intrinsic value (without considering the law and gov't payment preference).

Until we can use molecular transport pods to send a gold coin across the internet, decentralized P2P money will gyrate towards reusable proof-of-work methodologies.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
nx2059 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 07:10:20 PM

Impressive how people are so concerned about "backing" money with something... you're missing the point.

The point of backing the bitcoin with proofs is that it is a digital "product" and thus totally anonymous.  As of now, I would not use bitcoins because I can't exchange them for anything of value without risking breaking the law.  However a completely digital exchange can be done with much better security.  Unfortunately, proofs don't have much of a market right now.   
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 07:30:45 PM

The point of backing the bitcoin with proofs is that it is a digital "product" and thus totally anonymous.  As of now, I would not use bitcoins because I can't exchange them for anything of value without risking breaking the law.  However a completely digital exchange can be done with much better security.  Unfortunately, proofs don't have much of a market right now.   

I don't know where you live, but it hardly matters. You cannot live any kind of life whatsoever without guaranteeing that you will break the law at some point.

Even if you pay taxes on that haircut that you bartered with you your neighbor you are probably in violation of zoning laws.

nx2059 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 07:45:45 PM

I don't know where you live, but it hardly matters. You cannot live any kind of life whatsoever without guaranteeing that you will break the law at some point.

Even if you pay taxes on that haircut that you bartered with you your neighbor you are probably in violation of zoning laws.

This is a strawman argument you are presenting.  The if the feds consider what you are doing as a threat to their power they will send you to pound you in the ass prison.  Still feeling brave?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 08:11:11 PM

This is a strawman argument you are presenting.  The if the feds consider what you are doing as a threat to their power they will send you to pound you in the ass prison.  Still feeling brave?

Yes still brave.

Sorry, I assumed you were suggesting that we should try to follow all laws follow all laws. Do you have a procedure for determining which ones they will enforce?

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 08:22:51 PM

Being as scared as you are of doing anything wrong and being punished, you're a model citizen for your government Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 08:26:04 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2010, 01:23:20 AM by creighto

Do you have a procedure for determining which ones they will enforce?

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

If history of government tells us anything about the future, it tells us that they will enforce whichever laws were violated by those they wish to persecute.  It's not about the law, it's about control.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 08:26:41 PM

Being as scared as you are of doing anything wrong and being punished, you're a model citizen for your government Smiley

Amen, brother.  Welcome to the front lines of the Agora.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Anonymous

November 17, 2010, 11:41:35 PM

If you are that scared you are already in prison - only the government is already "pounding you in the ass".
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 11:51:08 PM

If you are that scared you are already in prison - only the government is already "pounding you in the ass".

Well said.

I'm trying to get myself into prison. I'm trying to get myself out.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 01:36:04 AM

No one say it'll be easy to fight against authorities for the right of self-determination in economic and social affair. It takes some bravery, some discipline, and absolute moral clarity.

Liberty is not without cost.

nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2010, 07:07:39 AM

what law would you be breaking by buying something with bitcoins as they are now? (and while you are at it, let us know what country you are in).

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: