Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:15:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Government banning bitcoin??  (Read 6542 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:41:05 PM

Sell Bitcoins on SR = get cash.

That's like saying Silkroad could work even without bitcoins, people could mail each other cash and the site would keep track of the accounts. That won't work because if I'm a drug dealer with a stash of 10 pounds, I will never ever type my address anywhere in order to receive a cash envelope. If the whole bitcoin seller's market is composed of criminals I can't blend among regular people and a sting operation when selling my bitcoins will lead straight to my stash.

Uh... you know you can buy cash with bitcoins on SR now, right? BMR, too.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
BubbleBoy

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:47:50 PM

Yes, but you aren't a criminal and your bitcoins are legal, that's why you have no problem giving an address to receive cash. A drug distributor would not sell his drug earned bitcoins for cash, especially if bitcoin trade is illegal too. Double whammy in the slammer.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:51:54 PM

Yes, but you aren't a criminal and your bitcoins are legal, that's why you have no problem giving an address to receive cash. A drug distributor would not sell his drug earned bitcoins for cash, especially if bitcoin trade is illegal too. Double whammy in the slammer.

By definition, if I sell my bitcoins for cash anonymously, I am a criminal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin#FinCEN_regulation

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:54:11 PM

What will we do if the government bans the sale of drugs in exchange for bitcoins?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:55:30 PM

What will we do if the government bans the sale of drugs in exchange for bitcoins?
I think they already did that.

mckmuze

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:05:20 AM

This is a turning point in history and will be a wake up call. If one country decided to embrace Bitcoin and act as a backbone for the technology, it would be unstoppable and so would the country who chose to embrace it.

I don't think any country is willing to embrace a money it can not collect taxes on. It would be financial suicide.

Forget about taxes and centralized government, think about individual sovereignty and collective groups of like minded thinkers who care of nothing more than eliminating traditional forms of government. When I say a "country" I mean a collective group of people outside the box we call "our country", country is just the best way I could explain my point of view. it wouldn't take much for a group of people to scrap an old way of thinking and experiment with something new, especially if they are already in a state of chaos and disarray. The direction we are headed could easily lead to a virtual economy, government, and social structure. These are the building blocks for someone to declare independence from any traditional "country".
Xiaoma

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:10:56 AM

This is a turning point in history and will be a wake up call. If one country decided to embrace Bitcoin and act as a backbone for the technology, it would be unstoppable and so would the country who chose to embrace it.

I don't think any country is willing to embrace a money it can not collect taxes on. It would be financial suicide.

Forget about taxes and centralized government, think about individual sovereignty and collective groups of like minded thinkers who care of nothing more than eliminating traditional forms of government. When I say a "country" I mean a collective group of people outside the box we call "our country", country is just the best way I could explain my point of view. it wouldn't take much for a group of people to scrap an old way of thinking and experiment with something new, especially if they are already in a state of chaos and disarray. The direction we are headed could easily lead to a virtual economy, government, and social structure. These are the building blocks for someone to declare independence from any traditional "country".

Now.. THAT could lead to tanks in the street and civil war.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:31:23 AM

If you haven't yet, you might enjoy reading this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age

(btw, the word you're looking for is "phyle")

mckmuze

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:38:36 AM

Now.. THAT could lead to tanks in the street and civil war.

My worry exactly, but this is what decentralization is. While I don't really want to see this happen this is the direction we are headed. And getting into decentralized currency is really the only choice anyone has. Sure you could stay behind in a horse and buggy and let criminals fly by in a hovercraft but... I think this is why decentralized technology is such an event horizon for the global financial system.

We are experiencing a blind spot when trying to predict the future. Every blind spot throughout history has brewed innovation, terror, change, and prosperity (well for some anyway, someone always suffers). While bitcoin is simply just a digital commodity that is freely tradable, it is the seed for what is to come. Be that good or bad. The massive speculation due to the uncertainty is a dead giveaway about a massive shift in our way of life on a global scale.

In my opinion it will be exceedingly important for everyone with a positive outlook to get on board with decentralized wealth building and try to stave off a coming chaotic occurrence. It is a race to the top and a battle between good and evil, just in an unexpected and abrupt way. Hopefully enough people realize that prohibition only empowers criminals. Embracing this technology on a massive scale is the only option, if we don't we are only bowing down to the new rich and elite criminal class. I for one hope everyone understands this fact. Prohibition has never worked.

Sure, I guess we could head the route the "preppers" "know" we are headed and shut down everything. Allow a total economic meltdown and kill the internet all together. Sure this is possible, though its only a matter of time before we experience the same scenario all over again. To allow economic collapse is the same as running from your problems. Eventually your problems catch up to you and they are worse than if you dealt with them when they presented themselves.

Just some food for thought. after all that's what bitcoin is, food for thought. Otherwise no one would debate about it like they do.
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:42:25 AM

I don't think any country is willing to embrace a money it can not collect taxes on.

Plus, a big big problem with confiscating it...

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:47:23 AM

Oh nos...then I guess Silk Road was shut down?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:00:20 AM

Um... no....

mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:27:24 AM

But these places already exist. These social experiments have been going on for decades if not longer. If you want your own island outside the box you could have it. Problem is, so far noone got it to actually work. I think these things usually break down because of social problems. Funny thing for groups of likeminded people, don't you think?

Also remember that there are no shops where you can buy computers or other electric devices outside of the box of countries.
So no virtual anything actually. Well, virtual computers, if you like. That is the consequence of living outside the box. Good luck.
MooC Tals

Activity: 644

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:31:44 AM

lol I hear its easier to out law gold. If they do your bitcoins will be more expensive and it will go underground. Governments hate underground economies. They're better off infiltrating it through taxes.

Then they would have to outlaw cash. Cats out of the bag now.
mckmuze

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:48:17 AM

But these places already exist. These social experiments have been going on for decades if not longer. If you want your own island outside the box you could have it. Problem is, so far noone got it to actually work. I think these things usually break down because of social problems. Funny thing for groups of likeminded people, don't you think?

Also remember that there are no shops where you can buy computers or other electric devices outside of the box of countries.
So no virtual anything actually. Well, virtual computers, if you like. That is the consequence of living outside the box. Good luck.

I don't mean to sound offensive, but your still thinking inside the box, the box I am referring to is metaphorical without boundaries. I never said start my own country on my own island. I am talking about right in your back yard, your neighbors backyard, Africa, Russia, second life . I am merely implying that this is a seed that has been planted. Prudence, understanding, and an open mind is imperative. These are valid issues if decentralization continues in this direction.

I want a debate, I want a full out global discussion, lets get dirty here and quit pretending like nothing will change. Macro economics is an ever evolving beast and it just grew a third arm. I think a drawn out discussion is in order, not to mention full implementation of this technology on a global scale is inevitable. Pretending like it is not an issue or wont get to this point is a blatant lack of prudence and understanding of what is actually happening.

The following post shoots for the stars much like I am guilty of doing quite often. However, I think it is a valid concern and a large stick in the spokes that has yet to throw us off course (For lack of a better term). 

http://lifeboat.com/blog/2013/04/bitcoins-dystopian-future
Geist

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:18:20 AM

Um... no....
Pretty sure that was sarcasm...

Looks like this is my...
(•_•) | ( •_•)>⌐■-■ | (⌐■_■)
...signature. YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:21:44 AM

Um... no....
Pretty sure that was sarcasm...

And you had to go and ruin the joke. Wink

mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:39:07 AM

It is possible that Bitcoin is made illegal. They made online gambling illegal in the so called Land of the Free (which does not make sense at all, by the way). They can do the same with Bitcoin.

The only thing we have on our side is the fact that governments move very slowly, and in fact quite predictably. We'll get a warning beforehand.

When they make Bitcoin illegal, only criminals will use bitcoin. Then we'll have an actual real assessment how much the Bitcoin economy is worth.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:43:13 AM

It is possible that Bitcoin is made illegal. They made online gambling illegal in the so called Land of the Free (which does not make sense at all, by the way). They can do the same with Bitcoin.

The only thing we have on our side is the fact that governments move very slowly, and in fact quite predictably. We'll get a warning beforehand.

When they make Bitcoin illegal, only criminals will use bitcoin. Then we'll have an actual real assessment how much the Bitcoin economy is worth.
outlaws* Wink

It will be big with Agorists.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 03:19:27 AM

This really worries me.

no worries, doesn't matter if they ban, (the ban woth be effective, people will still be buying bitcoin in that country...) and anyway most governments don't mind bitcoin. its legit big business, what's not to love!

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: