Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:27:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The future of bitcoin and transaction confirmation times  (Read 1604 times)
szangvil (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:06:46 PM

Hi, I am new here and already did a lot of reading on the bitcoin. One of the main issues I can't understand is why confirmation takes so long (yes, 2-3 minutes is a LONG time, not to mansion 6 confirmations which can take hours). In today's eCommerce system, when I pay for something, confirmation is instant i.e., I click "confirm" and I am done and can continue about my business.
With bitcoin, how does it work? When I pay to a certain wallet, after how long can I be "sure" the payment arrived? How long will I be hanging in the air until the transaction is complete? What if I choose to make the transaction without a miner's fee? What fee will make the confirmation instant?
If I take it a bit further into the future and want to pay for my groceries in the supermarket, I can't hold the line waiting for a confirmation...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:28:32 PM

Hi, I am new here and already did a lot of reading on the bitcoin. One of the main issues I can't understand is why confirmation takes so long (yes, 2-3 minutes is a LONG time, not to mansion 6 confirmations which can take hours). In today's eCommerce system, when I pay for something, confirmation is instant i.e., I click "confirm" and I am done and can continue about my business.

You are mistaken.  In today's eCommerce system, merchants are willing to accept a certain amount of risk to provide you with instant access even though the payment you have made will continue to be reversible (possibly for up to 18 months).

With bitcoin, how does it work? When I pay to a certain wallet,

You don't pay to a wallet. You pay to an address.

after how long can I be "sure" the payment arrived?

You will generally be sure that the transaction has been transmitted and seen by the network within a couple of seconds.

How long will I be hanging in the air until the transaction is complete?

It is up to the merchant how much risk they are willing to accept.  Merchants wait 24 to 48 hours with credit cards before "settlement" when the money shows up in their bank account, even though they accept the transaction the moment they receive it.  Beyond settlement, the transaction can be reversed for months.  Bitcoin is much faster than this.  The transaction is seen within seconds. The first confirmation happens on average in about 10 minutes, and within a few hours the merchant can be certain that the transaction won't be reversed.

What if I choose to make the transaction without a miner's fee?

It really depends on the details.  How big is the transaction, how old are the coins, what is the value of the various outputs? There are several technical solutions to this issue, they simply haven't been implemented by miners and/or merchants yet.  There is no reason to think that they won't be implemented eventually.  A coupe possibilites are:

- Large scale merchants can start up their own mining operations or can contrat with other mining organizations to ensure that their transactions are confirmed as quickly as possible.

- Miners can look at fees on transactions that are built on top of unconfirmed transactions which would allow the recipient of a transaction to add their own fee to improve the odds of getting a confirmation.

What fee will make the confirmation instant?

None.  The fastest that a confirmation can occur is the next solved block.  The network adjusts difficulty to keep the average time between blocks close to ten minutes.

If I take it a bit further into the future and want to pay for my groceries in the supermarket, I can't hold the line waiting for a confirmation...

Certainly not, which is why the grocery store doesn't make you stand around in the line until 3am when they get their settlement from the credit card company.  Instead they are willing to accept a small risk of theft and fraud for an increase in transaction speed and convenience.  They take the cost of that fraud and bury it in the retail cost of the products they sell.  There is no reason they can't do the same with bitcoin.
rippleme

Activity: 33

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:29:57 PM

Without a miners fee it will take longer to confirm but usually after 6 confirmations your transaction should be done anyway, how long it will take for these to complete it will depend on your transaction fees.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:34:33 PM

Contrary to popular belief a transaction is pretty damn secure after a single confirmation and more secure than you might realize even before a single confirmation.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
digicoins

Activity: 33

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:13:18 PM

Hope transactions will only get faster, also loading the blockchain with a local wallet all the times and keep it updated when relaunching... There a lot of idle time spent waiting for things to sync
szangvil (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:47:21 PM

Is it correct to say that the system as it is now is not capable of large scale eCommerce where tens of thousands of transactions need to be processed each second? If that is the case, when will it be ready?
katie1348

Activity: 37

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 08:58:00 PM

On a similar note, how useful is it for me to run the Bitcoin client, which will authorize transactions, does it really make that much difference?

Am I really helping, or just wasting my bandwidth?

Undecided
8bitp

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 09:09:10 PM

same question as katie1348

i read about the Bitcoin client, that he's a part of the large P2P network.
does this mean, when a perso (example: my neighbor) starts his client, he downloads the blockchain from my computer, too?  Huh
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:22:40 PM

Is it correct to say that the system as it is now is not capable of large scale eCommerce where tens of thousands of transactions need to be processed each second? If that is the case, when will it be ready?

Tens of thousands of transactions per second?  According to this:

https://www.paypal-media.com/mediacenter.cfm

With 128 million active accounts in 193 markets and 25 currencies around the world, PayPal enables global commerce,processing more than 7.6 million payments every day.

7.6 million per day / 86,400 seconds per day = 88 transactions per second.

I'm not sure that "Tens of thousands" of transactions are necessary.
szangvil (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:54:05 PM

That's only Paypal. What about the rest of the credit card industry? Banking industry?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:57:23 PM

That's only Paypal. What about the rest of the credit card industry? Banking industry?

Let's assume an average rate of 2000tps, so just VISA. Transactions vary in size from about 0.2 kilobytes to over 1 kilobyte, but it's averaging half a kilobyte today.

That means that you need to keep up with around 8 megabits/second of transaction data (2000tps * 512 bytes) / 1024 bytes in a kilobyte / 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte = 0.97 megabytes per second * 8 = 7.8 megabits/second.

This sort of bandwidth is already common for even residential connections today, and is certainly at the low end of what colocation providers would expect to provide you with.

So if nothing else we could use alternative blockchains when we run out of bandwidth to feed the bitcoin blockchain. If bitcoin could scale up to about the volume of visa than we should only need one or two additional blockchains to facilitate all long distance trade (if that). Remember gold and silver coin will still always be the preferred method for local trade.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:13:44 PM

Are you suggesting that bitcoin can only be considered a success if it completely replaces every payment processor and every currency that exists in the world?

Are you assuming that in the future there will be nothing but bitcion? No other payment systems at all?
n.montross1

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:20:42 PM

I agree that is a major drawback if not THE major drawback.  I sent someone some BTC last night and it took about an hour before it even got one confirmation.  That just isn't practical.   So add that to the issue with the price being so volatile and I doubt that Bitcoin will ever get that widespread with its usage.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:28:12 PM

I agree that is a major drawback if not THE major drawback.  I sent someone some BTC last night and it took about an hour before it even got one confirmation.  That just isn't practical.   So add that to the issue with the price being so volatile and I doubt that Bitcoin will ever get that widespread with its usage.

did you include a reasonable tx fee? 1 hour should be the very rare exception if you do include a tx fee. Also bitcoin isnt ment to be used for local trade, its meant to be used over the internet, you really dont think that even if we did have to wait 1 hour for a confirmation that this would be acceptable for long distance trade? When im buying something that takes 3 days to ship im hardly worried about 1 hour.

szangvil (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 06:51:32 AM

DannyHamilton, I expect it to be THE mainstream payment system i.e., it will replace credit cards. But I don't see how it can happen with this slow confirmation mechanism...
justabitoftime

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:16:11 AM

I expect Bitcoin to set to stage for better protocols in the near future.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:55:40 AM

DannyHamilton, I expect it to be THE mainstream payment system i.e., it will replace credit cards. But I don't see how it can happen with this slow confirmation mechanism...

This is highly unlikely.  It has significant potential for becoming A mainstream payment system, but it would require some significant changes to ever be versatile enough to become the single most significant payment system.

At the moment, due to the maximum size the protocol allows a block to be, bitcoin can handle approximately 7 transactions per second.  There is already significant debate about whether this limitation should be changed and how much larger it should be.  Such changes to the protocol require a consensus not only of miners but of all peers.  Given the significant spectrum of ideologies in bitcoin, such a consensus is extremely difficult to accomplish.

It is likely that either there will be multiple independent payment systems, of which bitcoin may be one, or that there will be payment systems that are backed by bitcoin.
tymothy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 11:11:05 AM

It's pretty simple. You have a company, like the credit card company, which screens potential customers in advance and decides to accept a certain risk of double-spending or insufficient funds up to a limit. In exchange, the company receives a small fee from the merchant and reserves the right to bill the customer if there's insufficient funds. Merchants get instant confirmation when user swipes card or provides authentication they have an account. Just like a credit card company, the merchant gets paid whether or not the customer can foot the bill, whether it's 30 days later for a credit card or 10 minutes-a few hours for a bitcoin transaction.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 12:55:08 PM

With bitcoin, how does it work? When I pay to a certain wallet, after how long can I be "sure" the payment arrived? How long will I be hanging in the air until the transaction is complete? What if I choose to make the transaction without a miner's fee? What fee will make the confirmation instant?

some sites take 0 confirmations, but it is slightly risky because of double charges.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: