Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:15:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please explain me this...  (Read 502 times)
GODLIKE (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 10:57:18 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2017, 11:16:43 PM by GODLIKE

Just sent a small sum to an address for a check, the machine answers that there is now 0 BTC on that address FROM where I sent money.
So I went to a block explorer to check this damn address: 14U61He6rNdgfDBtE2vuytaaDH3y3fHZhU
And I see this: https://blockexplorer.com/address/14U61He6rNdgfDBtE2vuytaaDH3y3fHZhU

The problem: I have no money on that address. I have never received any BTC on that address.
I checked ALL the addresses in my Bitcoin Wallet, and I didn't receive any money to that address ever.

And it emerges: it seems I didn't understand shit of the blockchain.

Address 14Tf is the one that is SHOWN in my Bitcoin Wallet.
As I didn't move a lot of money from that address, I would assume that the money is still there.
But it's not.

Apparently, when I made a small transaction of 0.01 BTC to 14NF to show a friend how Bitcoin works, THE REST of my funds were moved to 14U6.

Then, I made this small transaction of 0.001055 BTC to 14FG and AGAIN my funds were moved onto another address: 1LNz.

Can please somebody with good hearth explain me why oh why if I make a transaction, all the rest of my funds is moved onto another address BUT it doesn't show up in the Bitcoin Wallet AT ALL?

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yakuza699

Activity: 935
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 11:02:32 PM

Can please somebody with good hearth explain me why oh why if I make a transaction, all the rest of my funds is moved onto another address BUT it doesn't show up in the Bitcoin Wallet AT ALL?
Don't use any traditional wallets myself, but my guess is that those are change addresses. They do not show up but they are in your wallet, when you'll try to spend them you will be able to.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 11:10:21 PM

Don't use any traditional wallets myself, but my guess is that those are change addresses. They do not show up but they are in your wallet, when you'll try to spend them you will be able to.

But the changes of address add up to the fee, am I wrong? Because I'm not moving X% but 100% each time.

Additionally, it becomes a mess if I want to give one of my addresses as verification, because there won't be any money in that address once I spend a bit of it.
And I'll have to re-move money into that address (pay fee again).

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7993

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 11:14:54 PM

You don't have an input equal to X+fees so the wallet creates one from some other input say 5X+fees subtracts the amount X being sent to some address and then send the change 4X to another address within your wallet.
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 11:18:58 PM

You don't have an input equal to X+fees so the wallet creates one from some other input say 5X+fees subtracts the amount X being sent to some address and then send the change 4X to another address within your wallet.

Uhhhhh I'm sorry but I can't understand your sentence...

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 11:23:01 PM

It's called change.

Imagine that each transaction you receive to your address is like a piece of paper money, like a dollar bill. When you want to spend part of that money, you need to receive change to only spend part of it. For example, I pay for a $15 item with a $20 and receive $5 in change.

The same thing happens in Bitcoin because you can only fully spend from an output; you cannot partially spend it. Whatever is leftover, i.e. the change, has to be sent back to your wallet, so the transaction has a change output. Most wallets will generate a new address for your change outputs, so this is what you are seeing.

DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 11:48:29 PM

The same thing happens in Bitcoin because you can only fully spend from an output; you cannot partially spend it. Whatever is leftover, i.e. the change, has to be sent back to your wallet, so the transaction has a change output. Most wallets will generate a new address for your change outputs, so this is what you are seeing.

Wanted to add that if your wallet doesn't support not using a new change address, and you want to keep all your funds on one address, you can add another output manually of the difference and that way you don't have to pay another tx fee to send your funds back.

Additionally, it becomes a mess if I want to give one of my addresses as verification, because there won't be any money in that address once I spend a bit of it.
And I'll have to re-move money into that address (pay fee again).

Not sure what kind of verification you are talking about, but you can always give them the new address. (I'm assuming to verify that you have funds?)

taking a break - expect delayed responses
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 01:26:28 AM

Thank you everybody for your help, now I understand.
I also found that the Bitcoin Wallet for Android has a function under the Address Book that shows all the addresses owned by the wallet itself.

Darkstar: the verification is about the Byteball drop, I need to put back all the BTC to my originary address, because the bot will assign Byteballs based on the BTC at that address.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: