Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:31:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you approve the compromise "Segwit + 2MB"?
Yes - 78 (62.4%)
No - 35 (28%)
Don't know - 12 (9.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Possible scaling compromise: BIP 141 + BIP 102 (Segwit + 2MB)  (Read 14371 times)
d5000 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6212

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 08:09:09 PM

The next questions are:
1) What exactly decides whether it goes up 10% or down?
2) Why that specific period? I think that once per retarget is too frequent; maybe once per month is better. Someone else may have more input on that.
D'accord to your second proposal, 2016 blocks may be a too small period.

Yes, there should be more input from advanced users. If this discussion here gets stalled, a new thread about the modified proposal in the Development/Technical Discussion section would be the way to go, I think - then I would also contact the autors (Garzik, Upal, DooMAD).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 08:34:01 PM

The next questions are:
1) What exactly decides whether it goes up 10% or down?
2) Why that specific period? I think that once per retarget is too frequent; maybe once per month is better. Someone else may have more input on that.
D'accord to your second proposal, 2016 blocks may be a too small period.

Yes, there should be more input from advanced users. If this discussion here gets stalled, a new thread about the modified proposal in the Development/Technical Discussion section would be the way to go, I think - then I would also contact the autors (Garzik, Upal, DooMAD).

What makes this proposel different from BU if the max block size is defined in specific 'quant' sized jumps nodes / miners could vote for ? Such a quant could have the size of 0.2MB and would be added ( or removed ) if the voting reaches some 75% agreement.

The (auto) voting could be done in same manner as the difficulty is adjusted over a block number period.

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 10:24:37 PM

What makes this proposel different from BU if the max block size is defined in specific 'quant' sized jumps nodes / miners could vote for ? Such a quant could have the size of 0.2MB and would be added ( or removed ) if the voting reaches some 75% agreement.

The (auto) voting could be done in same manner as the difficulty is adjusted over a block number period.
This proposal wouldn't have the following issues:

BU has no miner threshold for activation
BU has no grace period to allow nodes to upgrade
BU has no checkpoint (AKA wipe-out protection), therefore users could lose funds
BU has no replay attack prevention
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5z6d56/a_summary_of_bitcoin_unlimiteds_critical_problems/

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 11:41:30 PM

What I'm thinking is there will never be consensus. Anything offered will get say no more
Then 30% adoption due to fud. Thus bitcoin core is happy. They think of btc as a store of value
(Gold).

Thus stuck.

Other Alt coins will fill the consumer use niche imho.

Seems like bitcoin core's strategy.  Apathy rules. 1mb block is just dandy.

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 11:47:44 PM

Bitcoin Core has already offered a solution with bigger block, i.e. Segwit. Apparently the market does not want a block size increase or pool owners (e.g. Jihan) are being severely lobbied into doing the opposite.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 12:04:01 AM

Bitcoin Core has already offered a solution with bigger block, i.e. Segwit. Apparently the market does not want a block size increase or pool owners (e.g. Jihan) are being severely lobbied into doing the opposite.

its not a native block increase!
its only a growth if people use segwit keys and only reaches potential amounts dependant on how much segwit key adoption there is.

stop thinking just segwit activation causes native tx's to have 2mb..

you know this. you have admitted such in different posts/topics. so dont exaggerate it into a native base block increase, when its not.

again its only a 'effective size if X,Y,Z is achieved AFTER activation..
no promises no guarantee's.

this 'effective potential' can be inhibited(prevented) by atleast 5 attack vectors that can stop segwit ever getting any effective increase in tx counts

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 12:13:18 AM

Stupid comments like this don't help with a compromise.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 12:15:28 AM

Apparently someone lacks a brain, and it ain't neither Searing nor I. Segwit is the compromise.

its not a native block increase!
its only a growth if people use segwit keys and only reaches potential amounts dependant on how much segwit key adoption there is.

-snip-
Take away your nonsense somewhere else. Segwit -> Big blocks. Writing long posts won't change that in any way or form.

this 'effective potential' can be inhibited(prevented) by atleast 5 attack vectors that can stop segwit ever getting any effective increase in tx counts
The SAME can be done with BTU. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 01:35:05 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2017, 01:48:09 AM by franky1

The SAME can be done with BTU. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

nope not the same.
segwit is still limited and dependant on the 1mb base block.
(by this i mean if no segwit key tx's get into the 1mb base.. the 3mb is empty)
Vs
BU,xt,classic, and and other dynamic proposals, grow beyond the 1mb base. meaning its not limited to 1mb thus requires more effort to spam.

EG SEGWIT
fill a baseblock with 1mb of native garbage and the other 3mb of weight are MEANINGLESS (100%native bloat=0% weight occupied)
you seem to forget that the weight is dependant on the base and what can get into the base to then utilise the weight.
segwit just doesnt give real capacity growth unless a few issues are sorted. which it cannot sort because it doesnt stop native attacks.

all it does is disarm segwit volunteers. but those segwit volunteers are still at the mercy of the 1mb base block and native key spammers.
its not like a berlin wall wher ALL segwit data sits in the 3mbweight. and all native sit in the base
segwit need to get into the base to then spread their legs into the weight.

vs BU, classic, xt (and other real-block growth proposals)
2mb baseblock means it requires twice as much effort..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 06:51:41 AM

EG SEGWIT
fill a baseblock with 1mb of native garbage and the other 3mb of weight are MEANINGLESS (100%native bloat=0% weight occupied)
you seem to forget that the weight is dependant on the base and what can get into the base to then utilise the weight.
segwit just doesnt give real capacity growth unless a few issues are sorted. which it cannot sort because it doesnt stop native attacks.

all it does is disarm segwit volunteers. but those segwit volunteers are still at the mercy of the 1mb base block and native key spammers.
I've already told you that you can easily prioritize Segwit transactions over native ones as a miner.

vs BU, classic, xt (and other real-block growth proposals)
2mb baseblock means it requires twice as much effort..
No. If the sigops limit remains the same, e.g. 20k, it doesn't matter even if the block size is something absurdly large. You just need to hit the sigops threshold.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 07:40:32 AM

What I'm thinking is there will never be consensus.

Let's see what happens when some form of UASF gains popularity with people that don't have all day long to sit around shit talking about this

You can all fuck off with your "2MB" compromise, which has taken less than 12 pages to warp itself into 12MB  Roll Eyes

Lauda in particular, you should know better than this by now, which makes me question your intentions towards the whole issue to begin with

I hope you all have sufficient understanding of what "fuck off" means

Vires in numeris
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 07:42:40 AM

I'm fine with segwit + 2MB. I do not support transferring more control to miners by giving them a voting mechanism to decide about the future rules. Some of them currently show us their malicious behavior. We should not reward this by giving them more control.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 08:14:59 AM

I'm fine with segwit + 2MB.

Which is not what's being proposed

Vires in numeris
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 08:29:22 AM

Let's see what happens when some form of UASF gains popularity with people that don't have all day long to sit around shit talking about this
The problem with that is, as Todd mentioned, that there is no safe & ready implementation in addition to the uncertainity of the safety of the idea itself. The concept is interesting though.

You can all fuck off with your "2MB" compromise, which has taken less than 12 pages to warp itself into 12MB  Roll Eyes
A potential maximum of 12 MB weighted in 5 years is much different from 12 MB right now. Even then, the weight ratio should be adjusted to lower the total maximum.

Lauda in particular, you should know better than this by now, which makes me question your intentions towards the whole issue to begin with
Stop attacking my character. I was always pro :Segwit -> proper HF. I've been saying this for a long time. The primary problem for me is the lack of a proper proposal (e.g. Luke-jr's is bad, emergent consensus is a disaster).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 08:43:14 AM

Apparently someone lacks a brain, and it ain't neither Searing nor I. Segwit is the compromise.
SegWit is the altcoin

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 08:44:19 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2017, 08:58:40 AM by Carlton Banks

Stop attacking my character. I was always pro :Segwit -> proper HF. I've been saying this for a long time. The primary problem for me is the lack of a proper proposal (e.g. Luke-jr's is bad, emergent consensus is a disaster).

Your behaviour is being attacked, not your character (seriously, you're now reaching for the bed-wetting "ad-hom" rhetoric)

You've consistently excluded any interest in suddenly changing your mind to "on-chain scaling works", if you said it, it was 1% of your total output for several YEARS , and you've certainly never said "on-chain scaling works", even if you did express an interest in "2MB only".

Now, you're here using all the trust and confidence others might have placed in you to push for the opposite of what you used to say, and this has been 75% of your output in JUST A FEW DAYS. Are you hoping that no-one would notice the huge, gaping contradiction?  Roll Eyes

Now, that's a sudden change in your behaviour, not your character, your character was clearly always prone to hypocrisy and conceit.

Vires in numeris
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 08:55:29 AM

SegWit is the altcoin

And it's sold now as the compromise coin.

Choose between bad (do nothing) and evil (HF) ....

I really wonder who should go long that - just B Banks ?

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 09:17:02 AM

SegWit is the altcoin
No, that is not the case with a SF.

Your behaviour is being attacked, not your character (seriously, you're now reaching for the bed-wetting "ad-hom" rhetoric)
My bad; still sub optimal at this time of day.

You've consistently excluded any interest in suddenly changing your mind to "on-chain scaling works", if you said it, it was 1% of your total output for several YEARS , and you've certainly never said "on-chain scaling works", even if you did express an interest in "2MB only".
Saying that X MB is acceptable in Y time frame != aon-chain scaling works. I haven't claimed this to be the case either.

Now, that's a sudden change in your behaviour, not your character, your character was clearly always prone to hypocrisy and conceit.
And there it is. Is this your way of handling things when someone has a different stance on a matter?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 09:25:16 AM

You're wriggling Lauda, visibly

Saying "X MB is acceptable in Y time frame" == saying on-chain scaling works

Go on, try again. See if Franky's strategies work for you, repeat your logical fallacy again and again and again

And there it is. Is this your way of handling things when someone has a different stance on a matter?

Proving them wrong? Why yes, when they are wrong, that's what one does

My assessment proves that you have built up trust in the long term, then used up all of that trust in a couple of days to sell a contradiction.

Problem?

Vires in numeris
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 09:28:33 AM

You're wriggling Lauda, visibly

Saying "X MB is acceptable in Y time frame" == saying on-chain scaling works

Go on, try again. See if Franky's strategies work for you, repeat your logical fallacy again and again and again
Following your own logic, by supporting Segwit (2/4MB maximum) you are stating the same, i.e. saying on-chain scaling works. Sigh.

Proving them wrong? Why yes, when they are wrong, that's what one does
You can do that without attacking character/behavior or whatever.

My assessment proves that you have built up trust in the long term, then used up all of that trust in a couple of days to sell a contradiction.

Problem?
Untrue. I am not selling anything. Bitcoin Core roadmap has a dynamic block size/flexcaps down the road AFAIK.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: