Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:45:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Own armory entropy  (Read 461 times)
Aurik (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 11:48:40 PM

Hey, just a short question:
Can I use the "recovery wallet" function and enter some lines of which i have created my self to create my own entropy and do not have to trust armory in that case?
I know, this is on my own risk then, if im stupid enough to enter some pseudo-entropy its my own fault. Just wanna know if this might be a possibility if i create them by dices or so...

EDIT: just saw that in the menu of "create wallet" i can find a button "add manual entropy", but then again i have to trust armory that it actually use this "manual entropy". But if i just enter my own lines in the recovery function, it has to, right? So if i would not trust it, it would be the better option.... (just in case Im somewhat paranoid  Grin )
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 11:53:12 PM

Yes, apparently it is possible. You should read this.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2017, 12:51:03 AM

Hey, just a short question:
Can I use the "recovery wallet" function and enter some lines of which i have created my self to create my own entropy and do not have to trust armory in that case?
I know, this is on my own risk then, if im stupid enough to enter some pseudo-entropy its my own fault. Just wanna know if this might be a possibility if i create them by dices or so...
No. IIRC the recovery stuff contains sanity checks and checksums so you can't just enter a bunch of random stuff, it will fail those checks.

EDIT: just saw that in the menu of "create wallet" i can find a button "add manual entropy", but then again i have to trust armory that it actually use this "manual entropy". But if i just enter my own lines in the recovery function, it has to, right? So if i would not trust it, it would be the better option.... (just in case Im somewhat paranoid  Grin )
The manual entropy option for creating a wallet uses a deck of cards. If you are concerned that it does not use your manual entropy, then look at the source code and compile from source yourself.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: