Poll
Question: BTC or LTC? Discuss
BTC - 20 (25.3%)
LTC - 23 (29.1%)
Both - 36 (45.6%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC or LTC?  (Read 2833 times)
tuckertz1992 (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:01:52 PM

Which do you prefer and why?

New Bitcoin Miner - If i've helped you, please donate: 15G6Zm6rAJu6ME5BQqX9GXGwGLgzC9Mboc
X-coin

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:27:34 PM

BTC

I do not see substantial innovation in LTC.

What I have read so far is that LTC uses a different hashing algorithm, runs faster and will give more coins.

That's a nice experiment but not really a leap forward.
randerson

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:29:22 PM

Has anyone here done any DD on XRP (Ripple) by OpenCoin?  Thoughts?
triciam

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:32:59 PM

I prefer the one that I am going to be able to mine with my gpu's
So with the current difficulties that means litecoin for me.

Get market data for litecoin and bitcoin at: http://cryptochart.com/
relisher

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:36:32 PM

I am debating whether it makes more sense to mine for LTC or BTC, considering that my FPGA can do a max of 104 or so MH/s.
tuckertz1992 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:37:57 PM

But whats the big deal with LTC? Its easier to mine yes, but its value is pretty shocking?

New Bitcoin Miner - If i've helped you, please donate: 15G6Zm6rAJu6ME5BQqX9GXGwGLgzC9Mboc
Cashoney

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:45:28 PM

That depends on what you are using it for. If you are speculating on the value going up, then sometimes LTC is a better bet.  Just compare the two charts and figure out %s.

As far as use as a currency, that's another issue.  But BTC will probalby always be more widespread and popular.
tuckertz1992 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:46:32 PM

Guessing people trade LTC for BTC? How much LTC for 1 BTC Roughly?

warsnoopy

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:41:38 AM

For me its litecoins.  I could mine an equivalent USD/h of mining from either, but Im baking on MTGOX accepting litecoins here soon making LTCs value double if not quadruple at the least.  Thats a bigger short term ROI for my mining time.

Im not a fanboy of Bitcoin
oThomasenaByrda

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:43:05 AM

they can and will coexist for some time.
this is all very dynamic, so we can see a complete turnover to other coins, even not LTC
tesserajk

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:46:27 AM

BTC have more liquidity right now, but LTC might be undervalued right now due to the lack of exchanges that trade them.

Personally, I am sticking to BTC for now.
Russarch

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:10:12 AM

Both IMHO, It's like Silver and Gold.
sgrunger

Activity: 122

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:36:41 AM

I would say BitCoin is like Gold and LiteCoin is like silver. Smiley
Not as rare, but still a valuable commodity nontheless.
sokol815

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:39:09 AM

I am thinking that when the ASICs and such come out this summer and then all the bitcoin GPU miners move to Litecoin mining that Litecoin's value will take off...

BTC: 1DGoGCg93igczMttDQn5SAE9x6zn4KZ8bv
LTC: LiP6Pskxa5tdDAhdwYeqszRFBMQev2ndBr
FTC: 6efcHwHYG3rk8SP37odyCrKqdxWom8rsen
thesnoo23

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:40:17 AM

I personally mine LTC because I don't have the equipment to mine BTC, but I am comfortable with both existing, and have one of BFL's 5 gH/s devices on order(fingers crossed Tongue). One of the core tenets of the Bitcoin concept is the free and open market. There's no moral or ethical reason that Litecoin shouldn't exist alongside of Bitcoin, or, for that matter, any other coin that was started in a fair and open fashion. If someone LIKES bitcoin and prefers it to all others, that's fine. But just because you or any other person prefers coin x, does not mean that coin w, y, and z aren't any good.
tahar

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:45:30 AM

I voted both, i think both bring differing dimensions to the table and both have the opportunity to co-exist together. I'm not wholly keen on alt-coins that do not have alternating functionality however.
thesnoo23

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:48:32 AM

I voted both, i think both bring differing dimensions to the table and both have the opportunity to co-exist together. I'm not wholly keen on alt-coins that do not have alternating functionality however.

Litecoin DOES have an alternate functionality, in that it uses a different algorithm which makes it harder to mine with non cpu/gpu devices, although i will not say impossible like some other people have. Not a huge difference, but I think it is still significant enough for it to be valid.
tahar

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:55:20 AM

Litecoin DOES have an alternate functionality, in that it uses a different algorithm which makes it harder to mine with non cpu/gpu devices, although i will not say impossible like some other people have. Not a huge difference, but I think it is still significant enough for it to be valid.

Exactly, i agree with that. Think you misread me. I do think that alt-coins that have alternate functionality, such as Litecoin and PPCoin, do have the potential to long term co-exist with Bitcoin. The other 'forks' that do not, of which i could mention numerous, will not exist long term, IMHO.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:57:08 AM

Bitcoin. And that's the likely (biased) response you should receive on Bitcointalk, because - surprise! - it's a Bitcoin forum. Bitcoin is the mature "granddaddy" of cryptocurrencies, and is far more mature.

That being said, I'm not hating on Litecoin. Indeed, I have a small position in LTC and see nothing wrong with it, but it's hardly innovative. Bitcoin has the advantage of having gotten there first (network effect or path dependency) and in the real world, that does mean a great deal.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
thesnoo23

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:02:43 AM

Exactly, i agree with that. Think you misread me. I do think that alt-coins that have alternate functionality, such as Litecoin and PPCoin, do have the potential to long term co-exist with Bitcoin. The other 'forks' that do not, of which i could mention numerous, will not exist long term, IMHO.

There IS one difference between every new fork and the old one. Specifically, how easy it is to mine. That is the main reason that I do LTC, because it's POSSIBLE for me to mine it at a profit. That's an issue I've seen discussed here many times, but never to a good conclusion. LTC is going to be mined longer than BTC is, because there will be profit in it for a longer time. Which is important, if you ever want to change your coins for anything else.

I tried novacoin for a bit, but backed off when I started noticing all the hostility to it. Not because I think it's not a good and valid idea, but because a lot of the vitrol I saw directed at it gave me concerns that there might be a lot of people who were, perhaps not trying to pull it down, but maybe ready to give it a nudge if it started teetering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: