Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:45:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin makes it impossible for governments to operate....so whats the plan?  (Read 483 times)
Jmh428 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:25:39 PM

If bitcoin was to take over the role of world reserve currency from the usd and became globally accepted as a store of value then it seems to me that absolutely everything would have to be privatized from the maintenance of roadways and infrastructure to the protection of water and natural resources.  I live in Canada and am of the view point that some things need government oversight and implementation (although it can be extremely wasteful and corrupt much of the time).  For example, the government built the communication network that I am using and the power grid that supplies my home with electricity.  This was necessary as there were (and still are) many people outside of the city that it is not profitable to supply these services to.  Some things need to be built, preserved, implemented etc. not because they are profitable but because they are for the common good.  What is the plan for decentralized governance when governments are no longer able to collect taxes?  Don't get me wrong, I don't support my tax dollars going towards paying interest on debt that was loaned to my country from a private organization, and fighting wars to uphold the status quo.  I believe that a decentralized currency solves a lot of problems, but I also believe that it will create many as well.  I would like to start a conversation about how we will decide what is for the public good under this new monetary system. 

I know this is a very broad topic but the world has never operated under a system like this before and i'm wondering who will serve as the centralized government under a decentralized monetary system?
X-coin

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:42:13 PM

Taxes can be paid on a democratic mutual agreement basis.

Most people would pay voluntarily (at least on a community level) as they see benefit from common services.

People come together yearly and discuss how much seems appropriate based on what service / infrastructure is needed.

Those who pay more than average can increase their reputation by doing that -> incentive to do so.
Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:47:11 PM

I live in Canada ...

I know this is a very broad topic but the world has never operated under a system like this before and i'm wondering who will serve as the centralized government under a decentralized monetary system?

Here are answers to your questions by someone who lives in Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/user/stefbot/videos
falschgeld

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:35:11 AM

I don't think that Bitcoin makes government operations impossible. Yes, it is true that Bitcoins change some things - for instance, governments can no longer create new money and they have fewer powers when they want to interfere with the monetary system.

But that doesn't mean that it will be impossible for governments to operate.

OK, it's clear that sometimes it can be useful if a government is able to create money. However, there are several countries in the world which *do not* have their own currency: Montenegro, Andorra and the Kosovo are using the Euro without being members of the Euro zone. OK, there are many things in former Yugoslavia that aren't the way they should be - but I don't think that the government's lack of the ability to create money is making it impossible for those governments to operate.

The rest of the Euro zone is in a similar situation - they are part of a currency union, and only the ECB is allowed to create new money. The national governments of the Euro zone can't create money of their own. And government operations are still possible. Ok, we're going through an economic crisis and the fact that we are no longer using several independent currencies is sometimes seen as a cause for trouble - but I don't think that the Euro is going to kill the governments.

For a very long time, probably even indefinitely, fiat currencies and the Bitcoin will coexist - and those governments which are able to create money can just print new banknotes and buy bitcoins if they happen to need any.

So far, we only have to deal with the issues that arise from the decentralization of Bitcoin. I don't that everything is lost here. Bitcoin has some properties that are similar to cash - cash is issued by a central bank, bitcoin is issued by a p2p network. Anybody can store it with any means of storage they want. Cash can be stored in a wallet, in a box, in a vault or in your pocket. Bitcoins can be stored on your hard disk, on a piece of paper or you can try to use your brain to remember the keys (well, that requires a good memory, but in theory it works). You don't need a license to store cash or bitcoins. I don't think that this makes a large difference. Governments may complain that Bitcoins were easier to hide from them than fiat funds on a bank account - but the same is true of cash. However, there's one difference - unlike cash transactions, bitcoin transactions are public and everyone can read the blockchain. I do think that eventually, law enforcement agencies will start to track funds on the bitcoin network for whatever purposes.

Bitcoin is not going to make taxation impossible. After reading a bit about the legal status of bitcoin, it seems to me that most jurisdictions will regard bitcoin as something that is not exactly money, but something similar and apply similar rules. There were rumors that some countries would charge VAT on currency exchanges between fiat currencies and crypt currencies but it seems that this idea has been dropped. Instead, merchants who accept Bitcoin will be required to pay VAT on their sales the same way as they do for fiat sales.

So far, government operation and taxation will continue to work. The government will be unable to freeze your local bitcoin wallet (just as they can't freeze your cash wallet) but in a few years, we might hear about bitcoin bank accounts being frozen on government request.

Now, what about public service? Most of it can continue as before; People can use their BTC to buy Fiat currencies to pay their taxes. Alternatively, tax offices can accept BTC directly if legislation allows that. I don't think that any government will cease to operate because of bitcoin.
oThomasenaByrda

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:38:25 AM

it has to coexist, both currencies.

you have to pay taxes in "real money", so in that time you have to convert math based coins to that.
it is of limited use.

However, governments can think of this as an improvement for their representation of coins, in the future.

also, ripple for example allows all the coins to co-exist.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: