Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:35:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Imported private key into bitcoin-qt, after scanning it just retunred null  (Read 2313 times)
LACSTS (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 08:38:33 PM

Per the title I imported a private key into bitcoin-qt (fully updated) and it scanned like normal but then after it got done scanning it just said null.

Does this just mean that there isnt any BTCs on that private key or does it mean there was an error.  It did not give me an error code just null.

http://imgur.com/8CkUb2m

Much thanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 08:59:58 PM

It means there were no errors importing the private key.

You'll have to look at the wallet balance (and/or transaction history) to determine if there are any bitcoins or transactions associated with the private key.

Why are you importing a private key?  Are you trying to migrate from some other wallet?  Perhaps it would be easier to just send the balance from the old wallet to the new one.
LACSTS (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 09:09:44 PM

I was doing it because I found a physical bitcoin that is one of the aluminum ones made by Casascius.

I contacted the owner of Casascius and he said he made the coin but they were not loaded and he did not make the hologram nor the QR code sticker that was on the back of it.

I couldnt get the QR code to scan because it was so small so I eventually got it to scan on a different app which gave me the key.

So this is probably a scam coin or something.

Thank you for your help though.  I checked my wallet.  No other transactions and no other balance.  (other than my original history / balance)
miningdude

Activity: 416
Merit: 250

Have a mining rig

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 09:37:25 PM

I was doing it because I found a physical bitcoin that is one of the aluminum ones made by Casascius.

I contacted the owner of Casascius and he said he made the coin but they were not loaded and he did not make the hologram nor the QR code sticker that was on the back of it.

I couldnt get the QR code to scan because it was so small so I eventually got it to scan on a different app which gave me the key.

So this is probably a scam coin or something.

Thank you for your help though.  I checked my wallet.  No other transactions and no other balance.  (other than my original history / balance)

How much is in it?

Try to import it in blockchain instead.
LACSTS (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 10:19:42 PM

Nothing was on it.

Ill try blockchain again but I couldnt figure it out using blockchain.

Ive read the guides but I never get to a part where there is a spot to import your key.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 10:51:06 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 07:39:21 PM by HI-TEC99

Nothing was on it.

Ill try blockchain again but I couldnt figure it out using blockchain.

Ive read the guides but I never get to a part where there is a spot to import your key.

There's probably nothing on the coin, but to be sure try importing your key into electrum, versions 2.6 and later support importing the mini private key format used in casascius coins.

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES

Release 2.6

*snip*

Support minikeys as used in Casascius coins for private key import and sweeping

Download electrum from this page and import your key into that.

https://download.electrum.org/2.7.18/

If you are running windows then download the portable version, create a new folder, and run it in that.

https://download.electrum.org/2.7.18/electrum-2.7.18-portable.exe

Use the settings shown in these screenshots.

Import your private key into the window shown below, then just keep clicking the next button on the successive screens and leave the settings at their defaults.

Afterwards electrum should sync almost immediately and show you your casascius coin's balance.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2017, 10:53:06 PM

Then there is probably no Bitcoin associated with that private key. If there is supposed to be some, then you imported the key incorrectly, but I don't think that is the case as importprivkey is supposed to return null (or nothing at all) when it is successful.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16620

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2017, 10:19:26 AM

Nothing was on it.
If you "found" it, it could be someone else has the private key, waiting for some innocent finder to fund it!
After importing in Bitcoin Core, you can't delete it from your wallet (unless you imported it into a new wallet or restore a backup). If you keep it in your daily wallet, make sure to label it ("DO NOT USE EVER AGAIN").

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: