Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:25:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban useless replies  (Read 4303 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 07:17:57 PM

No, it's just pathetic that people clutter up the forum with meaningless replies.

Define meaningless please.
things that add nothing to the discussion. If all you're doing is making one liners like the ones I mentioned, you're not contributing to the discussion.

Pardon me but you actually responded with a one line answer to my request, I don't really know if you're seeing it as one liner but with my screen resolution of 1680x1050 pixels I do, and is not really adding nothing of importance to our discussion or defining the term "meaningless".

About the oneliners, you can actually take any example you gave previously and you will realize people are able communicate efficiently, with their desires or thoughts, without spending a great deal of time on the language part (protocol). My advice to you would be to develop affinity for people with great communication skills and start ignoring the ones that make a habit on posting low quality content, they will never get the hang of it but there are some exceptions of course.

I could keep babbling like this for a while but I guess you have better things to do and bigger fish to fry, so yeah why not ban you for posts like this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77181.msg857649#msg857649
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74375.msg857668#msg857668
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=141795.msg1512290#msg1512290
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=143763.msg1524490#msg1524490
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142104.msg1524768#msg1524768
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177991.msg1878169#msg1878169

There are many more here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=5797;sa=showPosts

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:01:27 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2013, 11:41:28 PM by grue

Define meaningless please.
things that add nothing to the discussion. If all you're doing is making one liners like the ones I mentioned, you're not contributing to the discussion.

Pardon me but you actually responded with a one line answer to my request, I don't really know if you're seeing it as one liner but with my screen resolution of 1680x1050 pixels I do, and is not really adding nothing of importance to our discussion or defining the term "meaningless".

About the oneliners, you can actually take any example you gave previously and you will realize people are able communicate efficiently, with their desires or thoughts, without spending a great deal of time on the language part (protocol). My advice to you would be to develop affinity for people with great communication skills and start ignoring the ones that make a habit on posting low quality content, they will never get the hang of it but there are some exceptions of course.

I could keep babbling like this for a while but I guess you have better things to do and bigger fish to fry, so yeah why not ban you for posts like this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77181.msg857649#msg857649
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74375.msg857668#msg857668
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=141795.msg1512290#msg1512290
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=143763.msg1524490#msg1524490
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142104.msg1524768#msg1524768
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177991.msg1878169#msg1878169

There are many more here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=5797;sa=showPosts
Besides the obvious ad hominem, your lack of reading comprehension is appalling.

If all you're doing is making one liners like the ones I mentioned, you're not contributing to the discussion.
In case if you're too dense to know what I'm referencing: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=181885.msg1898778#msg1898778

edit: removed duplicate quotes

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:11:44 PM

IM BATMAN!
TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:49:15 PM

I'm going to try and start cracking down on spam a little more... there's just so much of it.

^^^ This. +1  (Sorry, had to.  Cheesy)

If you really want to stop the pointless mini-responses, add ratings for comments like Reddit and pretty much every other social network site in the universe and pretty much all modern forums have. When you upvote a comment, you won't *need* to respond to it.

^^^ This, +2. A karma system is the only thing that can save us from the Eternal September that is coming.

If you think it's bad now, you have a big shock coming. It will never get this good again. You will look back on the noise & spam we have now with dewy-eyed nostalgia.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:51:12 PM

Free Speech > Nitpicks.

grue (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:44:00 PM

Free Speech > Nitpicks.
It's not about restricting free speech. If you (don't) support someone, that's fine. All I ask is not to post replies that add nothing to the conversation.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:52:20 PM

Free Speech > Nitpicks.
It's not about restricting free speech. If you (don't) support someone, that's fine. All I ask is not to post replies that add nothing to the conversation.

Exactly.
OdinHephaestus

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:11:48 AM

Free Speech > Nitpicks.

But you kinda are.  Even posts like "^^^" or "+/-1" express an opinion about a post, even if it's only contributing an opinion of preference.

What you are trying to ban here are short posts that take up screen estate that you think are "useless" (matter of opinion).  So until an option is implemented that allows the voicing of "+/-1" without taking up a post space, it's not right to remove the voice of the community at large.

Bitcoin: 1odinQ5YUdbfuopNF2D1FZRN8qcrC4y1L
Litecoin: LeodinXzG7CgHqPDZxaUgsDKUKBUu46qa5
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:15:19 AM

ban useless topics

ban useless users

ban the whole damn forum!

we should totally restrict access to this information to only those who contribute.

make a private forum where only people who can prove they mined a bitcoin in 2009 can finally hangout and only contribute useful threads.

we dont want the masses on board this train anyway...
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:35:18 AM

How about making the maximum font size for the whole post (including the username and stuff associated) be proportional to the character count?

edit: also rescale any images, like the avatar etc and pics posted inside, proportionally to the max fontsize cap

edit2: tags, links etc shouldn't be taken in consideration when counting chars though, too easy to cheat with stuff like that

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:36:24 AM

Free Speech > Nitpicks.
It's not about restricting free speech.

Maybe not, but banning/deleting posts which you don't agree with, for whatever reason, is to be against freedom of expression.  I can understand spam (as in, real spam,) and I abhor spam, but when someone has nothing to add to a conversation and yet wants to express that they are in agreement (thus cutting redundancy, i.e., Bill speaks his mind, Jane is in complete agreement because she was going to say the same thing, so instead of saying that same thing, she simply +1's), I don't feel it is up to a higher power (the mods and our beloved admin) to enforce a personal tick.  I say this because I've never been bothered by +1, ^, "This", etc., especially when they're in favor of my posts Tongue  Sure, we can force people to make detailed posts.  But sometimes a +1 is all someone wants to get off their chest.  Perhaps this is an effect of social media, however...it's easy to "Like" a post on Facebook or "thumb-up" a comment on YouTube, right?

To meet in the middle, I'd propose a system in which users can vote up and vote down posts, if for nothing more than to eliminate the need for the +1 posts.  There could also be a feature which auto-hides posts with a high amount of downvotes.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:42:22 AM

Free Speech > Nitpicks.
It's not about restricting free speech.

Maybe not, but banning/deleting posts which you don't agree with, for whatever reason, is to be against freedom of expression.  I can understand spam (as in, real spam,) and I abhor spam, but when someone has nothing to add to a conversation and yet wants to express that they are in agreement (thus cutting redundancy, i.e., Bill speaks his mind, Jane is in complete agreement because she was going to say the same thing, so instead of saying that same thing, she simply +1's), I don't feel it is up to a higher power (the mods and our beloved admin) to enforce a personal tick.  I say this because I've never been bothered by +1, ^, "This", etc., especially when they're in favor of my posts Tongue  Sure, we can force people to make detailed posts.  But sometimes a +1 is all someone wants to get off their chest.  Perhaps this is an effect of social media, however...it's easy to "Like" a post on Facebook or "thumb-up" a comment on YouTube, right?

To meet in the middle, I'd propose a system in which users can vote up and vote down posts, if for nothing more than to eliminate the need for the +1 posts.  There could also be a feature which auto-hides posts with a high amount of downvotes.
Some forums got a "Thank you" feature, where if you like someone's post, you can just click on the link or button and your name gets added to the list of people thanking for that post. I would like that more than a voting system, feels more personal, and doesn't merge disagreements with agreements.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 12:49:49 AM

Maybe not, but banning/deleting posts which you don't agree with, for whatever reason, is to be against freedom of expression.  I can understand spam (as in, real spam,) and I abhor spam, but when someone has nothing to add to a conversation and yet wants to express that they are in agreement (thus cutting redundancy, i.e., Bill speaks his mind, Jane is in complete agreement because she was going to say the same thing, so instead of saying that same thing, she simply +1's), I don't feel it is up to a higher power (the mods and our beloved admin) to enforce a personal tick.  I say this because I've never been bothered by +1, ^, "This", etc., especially when they're in favor of my posts Tongue  Sure, we can force people to make detailed posts.  But sometimes a +1 is all someone wants to get off their chest.  Perhaps this is an effect of social media, however...it's easy to "Like" a post on Facebook or "thumb-up" a comment on YouTube, right?

To meet in the middle, I'd propose a system in which users can vote up and vote down posts, if for nothing more than to eliminate the need for the +1 posts.  There could also be a feature which auto-hides posts with a high amount of downvotes.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:39:03 AM

Some forums got a "Thank you" feature, where if you like someone's post, you can just click on the link or button and your name gets added to the list of people thanking for that post. I would like that more than a voting system, feels more personal, and doesn't merge disagreements with agreements.

People would still post "+1" stuff all the time because they'd want their opinions to be more visible.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:53:41 AM

Free Speech > Nitpicks.

Exactly.
This right here?

That's irony.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:57:04 AM

People would still post "+1" stuff all the time because they'd want their opinions to be more visible.

But in this case, it would be fair to punish those people, as there is already a system in place to +1 people without creating a new reply.

FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:07:22 AM

Has anyone figured out which sockpuppetry Grue belongs to?

I met a Grue, "Said how do you do?"
Said, "How do you do, too?"
To which I replied, "Fine by you."
Not so true, Grue.
If by inferring Grue not true,
Could Grue still be true to you?
Perhaps it is not Grue by GNU,
Or Grue by U?
But grew by Grue that rings true.
Time flew, "Must be going, Grue."
Uncomfortable pause grew...
Grue knew that apart from that,
Grue had to know that,
Time flew, glad that,
Moving past,
Uncomfortable moment, thought,
"Well, that's enough of that!"

FF

OdinHephaestus

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:13:13 AM

Not so true, Grue.
Or Grue by U?
Grue had to know that,
Time flew, glad that,
Moving past,

FF

^ This, is a perfect example of a post with no real clear contribution to the thread, yet is not "^^" or "+/-1".

Good for laughs though lol.

Bitcoin: 1odinQ5YUdbfuopNF2D1FZRN8qcrC4y1L
Litecoin: LeodinXzG7CgHqPDZxaUgsDKUKBUu46qa5
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:16:16 AM

Not so true, Grue.
Or Grue by U?
Grue had to know that,
Time flew, glad that,
Moving past,

FF

^ This, is a perfect example of a post with no real clear contribution to the thread, yet is not "^^" or "+/-1".

Good for laughs though lol.
I study at the school of Dr. Suess' Vocabulary Literations

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 03:36:13 AM

There's actually a solution for that (Facebook already does it). When someone "like's" something, it would show their name right under that person's signature on that post. "The following people appreciated this post".

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: