Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:17:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who here regrets not ordering a BFL unit?  (Read 2609 times)
needmorecoins (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:38:16 AM

So due to recent videos of one user's demo/pre-release video of a single...who here are starting to change their mind about ordering from BFL?
shakezula

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:40:57 AM

Only time will tell...
Bytecoiner

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:45:59 AM

Not really, because delays to BFL mean that the opportunity cost of having my fiat tied up with them for so long would have made it a less-than-profitable venture. If getting the growing pains over in the first wave means that the second batch of BFL rigs come much more smoothly then I might just give it a look.
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:46:12 AM

I'm more interested in the cost per bitcoin provided by the BFL unit.

I figure that value is a "floor" value for bitcoins since prospective miners are willing to pay that much for a bitcoin.  A prospective miner would presumably buy bitcoins instead of running his mining rig if coin value drops below the cost of running the rig.

So, what is the cost of running a mining rig in BTC/$?

This would also allow me to make an intelligent decision regarding turning the garage into a bitcoin mine...

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
Bytecoiner

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:49:25 AM

I figure that value is a "floor" value for bitcoins since prospective miners are willing to pay that much for a bitcoin.  A prospective miner would presumably buy bitcoins instead of running his mining rig if coin value drops below the cost of running the rig.

This would also allow me to make an intelligent decision regarding turning the garage into a bitcoin mine...

By that line of reasoning the floor value of bitcoin is only ever going to rise.
robi

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:49:34 AM

you looking to get out of your investment?
TomUnderSea

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:55:54 AM

By that line of reasoning the floor value of bitcoin is only ever going to rise.

Exactly.  As long as there are people willing and able to run mining rigs, the minimum cost of a BTC should be greater than the cost of running a mining rig.  So, what is the magic number?

Joshster

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:57:56 AM

I only really got into BTC not that long ago, but I would of happily placed a order sooner. But I am moving soon so I would of been without a connection and been busy so maybe when I am settled I can look into it.
Bytecoiner

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:58:45 AM

Exactly.  As long as there are people willing and able to run mining rigs, the minimum cost of a BTC should be greater than the cost of running a mining rig.  So, what is the magic number?

You may as well as 'how long is a piece of string?'. It depends on what kind of rig you're using, the general price of electricity in the country you're living in, the specific utility provider you use, on/off-peak rates etc.
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:04:14 AM

When I ordered a jalapeno a couple months ago.. they were only $149.. It was worth the risk at that time.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 03:05:48 AM

Show me a picture of 100s of people with working shipped units.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
TomUnderSea

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:09:45 AM

You may as well as 'how long is a piece of string?'. It depends on what kind of rig you're using, the general price of electricity in the country you're living in, the specific utility provider you use, on/off-peak rates etc.

To find the minimum value, you can assume the "best" rig available (this Jalapeno thing?), you can pretend the waste heat is useful (live in 365 day frozen tundra) with electricity being "free" (generated by fully depreciated wind + solar installation).

From there, we have a minimum value for the new miner today.  Any idea what that would be?

If the $149 / Jalapeno price is the bench mark, how many coins does that unit make per unit time right now?

cash4net

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:13:34 AM

So due to recent videos of one user's demo/pre-release video of a single...who here are starting to change their mind about ordering from BFL?

whats a bfl unit?
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:15:05 AM

To find the minimum value, you can assume the "best" rig available (this Jalapeno thing?), you can pretend the waste heat is useful (live in 365 day frozen tundra) with electricity being "free" (generated by fully depreciated wind + solar installation).

From there, we have a minimum value for the new miner today.  Any idea what that would be?

If the $149 / Jalapeno price is the bench mark, how many coins does that unit make per unit time right now?
I think break-even with the Jalapeno at $149 would be about 10 days if you started today... actually maybe 5-7
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:26:14 AM

Ok..from my calculations.. You would easily get at least 0.25BTC a day with that unit right now at current difficulty.  BUT.. by the time I get it.. it will probably be half that.
birkoff2

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:41:43 AM

Thought about buying one of their units, but after doing some basic research, I'm 99.9999999% sure they're scamers.
virtual360

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:07:49 AM

By the time I was interested in getting one, the backlog was already ridiculous.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:53:17 AM

Video can be fake. I actually concern about real BFL unit shipped to real miner
phortran

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 06:01:39 AM

I do, I'll admit it.  I first read about them about a year ago when I got interested in this and really considered going for it.  I ended up mining up a bunch of litecoins over a period of a week or 2, sort of got bored with it, and now I'm interested again.  The litecoins seem to be worth something now so I've put that money down on a few 5 GH/s BFL singles for the heck of it.  Seeing the recent videos has convinced me that at least it's a real product and maybe they'll actually start shipping out soon, although I do realize I'm basically at the end of the line at this point.  On a related note I'd like to get in on that ASIC chip group buy as well (hence registering and posting), seems like a fun project.
spiralis

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 06:11:19 AM

whats a bfl unit?

Butterfly Labs, who, from what I gather, are either visionaries who are having technical problems or vapourware/snakeoil merchants selling pre-orders of ASIC equipment that doesn't actually exist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: