Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:37:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Armory, Bitcoin Armory Where are you?  (Read 1808 times)
SuzyAZ (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 05:00:31 PM

I have bitcoin stored at Bitcoin Armory and cannot open their download on my Apple
even with help of Apple support.   Very concerned that I can't get to my coins.   Apple
said to contact the developer and I cannot get through to them.  HELP!!!
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 07:18:44 PM

You need to elaborate on what's going on.

SuzyAZ (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 08:20:23 PM

I downloaded Bitcoin Armory but my Apple Computer pops up with a message telling me that the
website isn't recognized.  I called Apple Support and they could not get it opened either and suggested
I contact the developer.  There is no way to contact them.  They have a new website and the old
email address no longer works.

If my computer doesn't recognize the website, even with the support of Apple help how can I
get to my bitcoins?

Does anyone know if Bitcoin Armory is still functioning, still in operation?  Their twitter account doesn't
seem to have any recent activity either.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 08:40:26 PM

ATI has dropped support over a year ago now. I maintain Armory instead. Get the latest release here. Verify the binaries yourself.

https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/releases

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 08:59:42 PM

- snip -
my Apple Computer pops up with a message telling me that the website isn't recognized.
- snip -

Website isn't recognized?  Can you post a screen capture of the error message? (Command-Shift-4)

I'm not sure what error you're seeing.
SuzyAZ (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 10:25:32 PM

Goatpig...what am I supposed to do to get on?  I have someone I'm working with to help me
who is much more bitcoin literate than I am.  How do I get on and sync with the core.  What information do
I give him so that we can move my coins?

I have the screenshot. But not sure how to get it on here. Do you need to see it?  It says "cannot open because identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.

This is what I downloaded from btcarmory.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 10:47:34 PM

It says "cannot open because identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.

This sounds like an Apple security issue, not an Armory issue.

Does the message say:
"Armory" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.
With an "OK" button?

If so, is there also a question mark in the lower left corner of the pop-up window?

If so, have you clicked on that question mark?

If so, do you get the following message:

If you do, then that message explains exactly what you need to do:

1. In the Finder, locate the app you want to open. (Don't use launchpad to do this. Launchpad doesn't allow you to access the shortcut menu.)

2. Press the Control Key, then (while holding down the Control Key) click the app icon in Finder.

3.  You should get a Pop-up Shortcut Menu.  Choose Open from the shortcut menu.

4.  You will get the same "is from an unidentified developer" message, except that now you'll have an "Open" button next to the "OK" button. Click the "Open" button.

SuzyAZ (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 11:22:43 PM

This process is exactly what I went through with Apple support.  When you go to finder and get tp the final "open"  the icon on the dock disappears.  Nothing opens.  We did this probably 6 times and then Apple support suggested I contact the developer.
SuzyAZ (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 02:09:52 AM

Goatpig,

I tried to download your latest from above and still not working.  I could try with Apple again tomorrow and see
if something else can be done.  Is there any suggestion you have as to the problem?  Do I need to try it from
my offline computer that my coins are stored on?  Would I need the core synched on that computer?

Thanks,

SuzyAZ
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2017, 08:26:44 AM

I have the screenshot. But not sure how to get it on here. Do you need to see it?  It says "cannot open because identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.

This is due to Apple's Gatekeeper feature. Basically, if software isn't signed by somebody recognized by Apple, you have to go through some extra steps in order to run the program. Armory isn't signed, presumably because it costs money to get a signing key from Apple. (This is separate from Goatpig signing the package himself.) This link should get you going.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 09:17:12 AM

Suzy

Think of the MacOS Gatekeeper like a doorman at a VIP club for celebrities; if your name's not on the list, you're not getting in the club.

You can control the Gatekeeper, tell him that it's actually your club, and you want your friend Armory to be admitted to the club. droark's link and a bit more searching should be able to help you learn how to do it.

Sadly, this is Apple's policy these days. They make money from doing it this way, it's a part of their business model. I don't recommend using Apple computers any more for this reason (amongst others)

Vires in numeris
SuzyAZ (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 11:59:17 AM

Okay, thanks for the link.  I will try this.
And if that doesn't work I need another computer and download the core again and do it that way?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 01:56:38 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2017, 03:28:15 PM by DannyHamilton

Guys, I don't think this is a Gatekeeper issue.

I think SuzyAZ has accidentally led us all down the wrong path by claiming that the problem is "Apple Computer pops up with a message telling me that the
website isn't recognized
" AND "It says cannot open because identity of the developer cannot be confirmed".

However, Apple support has already tried to help her get the program past Gatekeeper.

Her actual problem is that, once she finally gets past Gatekeeper:
When you go to finder and get to the final "open"  the icon on the dock disappears.  Nothing opens
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 02:17:09 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2017, 02:37:14 PM by Carlton Banks

It does.

Please leave this to people that are familiar with debugging Armory, you're an unwelcome presence Danny Hamilton due to your reputation as a passive-aggressive troll, as you know already

Vires in numeris
SuzyAZ (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 03:05:49 PM

Yes please, Armory, is there anything that you can check from your end?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 03:25:57 PM

It does.

Please leave this to people that are familiar with debugging Armory, you're an unwelcome presence Danny Hamilton due to your reputation as a passive-aggressive troll, as you know already

Carlton,

Please keep your politics out of this thread. We are both just trying to help a user that is having a difficult time accessing their bit coins. What either of us believe about Bitcoin Unlimited or Segregated Witness  does not matter in this thread.

Note to moderator: I will happily remove this post to clean up this thread if you, or Carlton, remove Carltons unhelpful posts
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 03:29:00 PM

Be respectful and leave.

You have demonstrated already that you have zero useful knowledge of the Armory software, your propensity to subtle trolling is the only reason you could possibly even be browsing this sub board

Again, be respectful and leave

Vires in numeris
SuzyAZ (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 04:12:33 PM

This is my problem:   I worked with apple support again.  This is what we got when we clicked on (?).
So this is something the developer needs to help me with.  Where are you Goatpig?  Can you help me PLEASE???

APP HAS BEEN MODIFIED OR DAMAGED

"The app has been modified, and its code does not match the original signed code. The app may be broken or corrupted, or it may have been tampered with. If you think that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash.

Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript or JavaScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless you override the security settings on your Mac. For more information, see Open an app by overriding security settings."

We were able to over ride Gateway but that did not work, so it has to be something through the developer side, yes?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 04:17:58 PM

We were able to over ride Gateway but that did not work, so it has to be something through the developer side, yes?

Describe in detail what happens when you try launching Armory after overriding Gatekeeper.

Note that goatpig doesn't generally handle issues with Armory on MacOS, droark is the go-to guy for Mac specific issues, and yours is resembling what we've seen on MacOS in the past.

Vires in numeris
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2017, 04:19:51 PM

MacOS support is a little lacking for Armory. The person you really want to ask help from is droark as he does all of the OSX stuff.

In finder, go to ~/Library/Application Support. See if a folder named Armory is in there. If it is, then that means that Armory was able to run. Go into that folder and find the armorylog.txt and dbLog.txt files. Open both of them and copy and paste their contents into a new paste at http://pastebin.com/. Then post the link(s) to those pastes here.

If the Armory folder does not exist, then Armory did not run and something is blocking it from running.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: