Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:37:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on Intel HD Graphics 530, integrated GPU.  (Read 21313 times)
dylben1234 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 03:57:13 AM

Just signed up, first post here. So here's my question, I'll start with the background. So I've been messing around for a while with trying to mine on an Intel integrated GPU. I've read a lot of varying information on the subject, but much of it's outdated and a lot of it is contradictory. So here's what I've personally observed. I've tried various algos and I always and up hashing at rates far below what I should be. Except for one time... Using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, CpuZ and GpuZ, I was able to deduce the root cause. That while mining using opencl on the Intel gpu, my gpu was running at it's minimum speed of 349Mhz. It can also go to a 'C1E' like state when the screen is still, at which it shows a frequency of 0Mhz. Mining on the CPU alone, the graphics core was in it's 0Mhz state, so I know the jobs are in fact being "routed" through the graphics core. Now I've seen the GPU frequencies (labeled in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility's analytics as "processor graphics frequency") go above my max core frequency ( which is Intel "Turbo Boost" up to 3.6Ghz,) and technically, it should be able to run at twice the core speed, at least for short time spans, and consistently at, at least 2500Mhz (I've witnessed during stress tests.) But here's my issue: when playing a graphics heavy game, for instance, the GPU clocks right up and performs as it should, adjusting to the change in workload. For all mining apps I've tried, this is not the case. Instead the gpu ramps up to it's minimal operating frequency of 349Mhz, and refuses to go any higher. I've tried to find a way to directly access the bus (as Intel Extreme Tuning Utility only allows for adjustment of the ratios and voltages that affect maximum processing speed, but the governor remains Windows Ondemand,) but it seems nothing exists. That one time I spoke of earlier, I don't know what exactly happened, I started BFGMiner as usual, with the same config file I always used, no new options, and the graphics frequency shot up. And I was getting respectable scrypt hashrates, at the pool! Nothing crazy, but 1-2MH/s (compared to the 10-15KH/s I averaged normally.) It was not a fluke, it was continuous, for a while. Eventually I stopped it so as not to completely burn out my laptop, and have never since been able to replicate the situation. But, I know it's possible. There's just something preventing the graphics processor from scaling to an appropriate level. I've been messing around with ZCash lately, and know I can do a lot better than 15Sols/s. I know it's the same issue. Does anyone have any ideas on mow I might possibly get the graphics card up, an opencl parameter perhaps? any input or help would be great. Thanks.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 04:29:10 AM

Yes get a real GPU

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
sirslayer

Activity: 540
Merit: 501

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 04:55:51 AM

it maybe you need the opencl driver from intel.com??  

as in an upgrading drivers from intel website
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 09:35:09 AM

The integrated GPU you are talking about hasn't been built to be used 24/7 at >90% like you would do with mining. You will end up destroying it in a few weeks with an earning from tiny to nothing.

If you wanna try mining you should think about getting a desktop pc and put real graphic cards in it. Right now gtx 1070 or rx 470 are the right choice
dylben1234 (OP)

Activity: 44

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 10:53:21 PM

I get that. I've been mining for a while. My SHA256 hash power is around 12TH/s total and my Scrypt around 30 MH/s. All ASICs. I know the GPU/CPU in my laptop is not designed to run 24/7, and I would never do that. But it still raises the question of why when mining, it runs at it's lowest clock speed. I like to mess around. This project is mostly for the goal of benchmarking different algorithms, playing around with settings and understanding GPU mining a bit better before I invest in a full time rig. I don't intend to generate any real profit or convert my main laptop to a mining rig. I've fully updated all the drivers, so it's not that.
Dardania

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 10:19:28 AM

Probably a bump due to age, but I'm interested in this topic as I want to learn some more about mining, and only presently have an Intel NUC (Skylake) - I want to get the most out of it before putting in capital.

From reading around on Intel's website, a forum post came up:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/opencl/topic/531630

where the poster may have inadvertently addressed the issue of the GPU running at a slow clock speed - their solution seemed to be to keep the GPU busy at all times to prevent it slowing down (with dummy loads if necessary). I wonder if your case where it actually worked well somehow had another GPU load at the time that kept the frequency high?

And there was an interesting blog post from Intel also about using the GPU for OpenCL processing taks instead of sending them to the CPU:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-interactions-of-opencl-code-and-intel-quick-sync-video-on-intel-hd-graphics

It seems that there are performance optimisations which should be implemented at programming stage in order to use OpenCL optimally. I'm not sure if the programming community really wants to focus on those optimisations, even though it does seem that there is some potential performance gains to be achieved in otherwise unused capacity.
Thinking in terms of ETH, where there are applications outside of of just mining, maybe tapping into OpenCL better would be of benefit?
Nemo1985

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 03:34:02 PM

I tried to mine using my integrated video card (i5-6600k) but I literally got nothing, I used ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1.6 with opencl, the output from the integrated video card was 0 even if the cpu was some degree hotter when it was turned on. Gpuz showed 0% in gpu load, did anyone have been able to get something from those useless IGP?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 02:52:29 AM

They don't access enough RAM to mine ETH - AFAIK NOTHING in an IGPU can access the "more than 2GB" of RAM you need your GPU to have to mine ETH.

Their performance is a joke compared to AMD IGPUs - which don't mine worth beans either, my A10-7890k I did some testing on at one point managed about 11 sol/s on ZEC mining (1/5th of what a HD 7750 with the SAME number of cores running at the SAME core clock speed manages, but the HD 7750 had GDDR instead of DDR).

Intel IGPU don't even work well on the Distributed.Net client (which is a form of crypto work that DOES work well on the A10 IGPUs due to the tiny size of the code and the very small size of the data) - the 620 graphics (which is the HIGHEST you can get in an Intel Desktop CPU) manage a bit less than HALF the keyrate of my 3 generations old A10-5700 IGPU on Dnet work, and they're only close to half if you aren't using the CPU AT ALL.
 Intel doesn't seem to give you any ability to "tune" the things at all, and they put heavy priority on the CPU side - AMD lets you tune BOTH sides on every MB I've worked with to date to at least some degree.

IMO ignore the things entirely for anything crypto, they're not worth the hassle to get working.

For that matter, the AMD IGPUs IMO should also be ignored for cryptocoin mining.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dadesu

Activity: 378
Merit: 258

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 03:37:00 AM

Mining on intel integrate hd grapic is waste of time  Smiley
Buy gpu or mine some cpu coin
You know about crypto mining, dont waste time  Wink

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
toygg

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 07:34:42 AM

Sorry I sound rude. Here is my 3 cents worth , there is nothing that u could mine with the Intel HD 530. Even x11 and scrpyt have been taken over by AISC few years ago. Since the iGPU doesnt have its own dedicated vram, there is no possible way it could mine anything with it. If you would like, u can mine CPU coins with ur processor instead. FYI, even buying the best gpu is not really profitable to mine any coins since the mining difficulty is too high.
marlyn

Activity: 16

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:33:17 PM

Are we sure that mining over integrated graphics isn't profitable last days, especially with free electricity?

If mining monero through CPU is okay, then why mining whatever through integrated graphics is bad idea?
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:53:56 PM

See this is the reason why trolls and idiots are paying $1000 for a rx 580, they are desperate and you should never underestimate the desperate ehhe

OP, come on smart up, IGPU is only for gaming and barely for gaming.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
generalheed

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:59:24 PM

i've been asking myself this very question

i don't mean to rain on the (get a real gpu) parade here, I agree, but there's a good reason for wanting to be able to leverage IGPU.

i recently built a RIG with an i7-8700 and 4x EVGA 1070tis on an ROG z730 strix. Getting 2.3Ksols on ZEC and about 120MHs on ETH.

that rig cost a pretty penny though and it'll take about 1.5 years to break even at the current rate anyway.

of course, i'm using the EVGA cards to mine ETH or ZEC - whatever is more profitable for the week

but i'm also using the RIG to mine XMR on the CPU (seems like that's the only coin that can still be mined on the CPU) - the idea here is to maximize the potential for ROI - put every last watt to work!

The i7-8700 alone is doing a mere 180 H/s which is like watching paint dry, but it has a built-in Intel UHD 630 GPU and, well, wouldn't it be nice to be able to put that puppy to work too.

Anyway, this post (https://github.com/fireice-uk/xmr-stak-amd/issues/56) seems to suggest that XMR-Stack might be able to do that with OpenCL drivers.

i'll let you guys know how that goes.. .just downloaded the drivers. about to install on the RIG.

Can't wait to hear your results, I too would like to mine on my integrated Intel Iris Pro 580 which, as far as gaming goes, is actually not bad. It's in my Intel Skull Canyon NUC so it's got pretty good cooling in it compared to a laptop and probably can run at 100% for a lot longer than a laptop can. But so far I haven't found anything that can mine cryptonote currencies with the Intel GPU.  I used to mine bitcoins briefly with it though and it could pull off around 100 MH/s which is pretty good, a long time ago lol. But I bet for cryptonote currencies, it'd be very good.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:33:36 PM

Cut for extra room; for the post scroll up or click on the text on top of this message.

Can't wait to hear your results, I too would like to mine on my integrated Intel Iris Pro 580 which, as far as gaming goes, is actually not bad. It's in my Intel Skull Canyon NUC so it's got pretty good cooling in it compared to a laptop and probably can run at 100% for a lot longer than a laptop can. But so far I haven't found anything that can mine cryptonote currencies with the Intel GPU.  I used to mine bitcoins briefly with it though and it could pull off around 100 MH/s which is pretty good, a long time ago lol. But I bet for cryptonote currencies, it'd be very good.
I'd still monitor temperatures on the NUC for the first few days of it mining just in case something goes out of whack (and maybe have some thermal paste on hand too). The Intel GPU itself probably won't mine quickly and I'd personally leave it be but your best bet is probably something like XMR with something like a NUC if you're looking to mine remotely profitably.
generalheed

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:37:00 PM

i've been asking myself this very question

i don't mean to rain on the (get a real gpu) parade here, I agree, but there's a good reason for wanting to be able to leverage IGPU.

i recently built a RIG with an i7-8700 and 4x EVGA 1070tis on an ROG z730 strix. Getting 2.3Ksols on ZEC and about 120MHs on ETH.

that rig cost a pretty penny though and it'll take about 1.5 years to break even at the current rate anyway.

of course, i'm using the EVGA cards to mine ETH or ZEC - whatever is more profitable for the week

but i'm also using the RIG to mine XMR on the CPU (seems like that's the only coin that can still be mined on the CPU) - the idea here is to maximize the potential for ROI - put every last watt to work!

The i7-8700 alone is doing a mere 180 H/s which is like watching paint dry, but it has a built-in Intel UHD 630 GPU and, well, wouldn't it be nice to be able to put that puppy to work too.

Anyway, this post (https://github.com/fireice-uk/xmr-stak-amd/issues/56) seems to suggest that XMR-Stack might be able to do that with OpenCL drivers.

i'll let you guys know how that goes.. .just downloaded the drivers. about to install on the RIG.

Can't wait to hear your results, I too would like to mine on my integrated Intel Iris Pro 580 which, as far as gaming goes, is actually not bad. It's in my Intel Skull Canyon NUC so it's got pretty good cooling in it compared to a laptop and probably can run at 100% for a lot longer than a laptop can. But so far I haven't found anything that can mine cryptonote currencies with the Intel GPU.  I used to mine bitcoins briefly with it though and it could pull off around 100 MH/s which is pretty good, a long time ago lol. But I bet for cryptonote currencies, it'd be very good.
I'd still monitor temperatures on the NUC for the first few days of it mining just in case something goes out of whack (and maybe have some thermal paste on hand too). The Intel GPU itself probably won't mine quickly and I'd personally leave it be but your best bet is probably something like XMR with something like a NUC if you're looking to mine remotely profitably.

Yeah good idea, I'll be sure to keep an eye on that. I'm already using that NUC to CPU mine XMR for the past month or so and it's handled that pretty well.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:07:21 PM

Yeah good idea, I'll be sure to keep an eye on that. I'm already using that NUC to CPU mine XMR for the past month or so and it's handled that pretty well.

Running both the CPU and IGPU at 100% will push the temperature up, make sure the fan speed keeps up.
Also be careful changing algos, some will stress the CPU more, some the GPU and some both.

Co-mining will also have a higher memory load as both the CPU and IGPU share the same memory system.
By comparing the speed co-mining vs each alone will show if there's any congestion reducing performance.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 11:30:36 PM

While you *can* make this happen somehow, it is such a low end gpu you wont make any profit on it relative to the amount of work it will take for you to even get it live. It just a waste of time and processor cycles.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 05:03:00 AM

if mining using integrated GPUs only has a bit hashrate, waste of electricity, another part to become broken. better get the real GPUs. but I know..know price of GPUs is very expensive at this time.you can to be patient than of the must do mining without GPUs.
generalheed

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:24:43 PM

if mining using integrated GPUs only has a bit hashrate, waste of electricity, another part to become broken. better get the real GPUs. but I know..know price of GPUs is very expensive at this time.you can to be patient than of the must do mining without GPUs.

The Intel Iris Pro 580 I have should be able to get me hashrates close to that of midrange NVidia GPU's from the 900 series. I obviously haven't test it yet, but I think I can probably manage about 100 H/s or more from my Intel Iris Pro 580 which is not bad for mining monero or other cryptonote currencies that remain CPU friendly for mining to this day.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:55:07 AM

Are we sure that mining over integrated graphics isn't profitable last days, especially with free electricity?

If mining monero through CPU is okay, then why mining whatever through integrated graphics is bad idea?

Because, as I ALREADY EXPLAINED, the iGPU has pathetic performance even compared to a VERY LOW END discrete card per the TESTING I did on both my Intel AND my old AMD iGPUs.

Iris Pro is NOT going to be anywhere close to the performance of the Nvidia GTX 750 ti, much less the MID RANGE 9xx cards.
 The top end Iris Pro iGPU *MIGHT* manage to match my AMD A10-5700 as it has about double the cores of the Intel I did testing on, but that's STILL a sad joke compared to any discrete GPU less than 5 years old.

Keep in mind that Monero is specifically designed to make both CPUs and GPUs fairly close to equal on performance - nothing else has managed to keep them in the same ballpark to date, and even Monero is failing on that lately to some degree with the Vega (back when they could be found near MSRP).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: