Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:21:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Sneaks OneDrive Ads Into The Windows 10 File Explorer  (Read 336 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 07:27:54 AM

Microsoft Sneaks OneDrive Ads Into The Windows 10 File Explorer

http://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-sneaks-onedrive-ads-into-the-windows-10-file-explorer

When Microsoft announced that it would provide Windows 10 as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.x users during the first year of availability, you knew that there had to be some strings attached. As we've seen over the past year and a half, Microsoft has come under fire for its privacy policies, allegations of "spying" on users and its penchant for placing advertising within Windows 10.

It's that last point that is once again rearing its ugly head for Windows 10 users. A redditor has noticed that Microsoft is now placing ads within the oft-used Windows File Explorer interface. It's one thing to see ads pop into view when you're browsing the internet with Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome, but you don't expect (or want) to see advertisements in well-trafficked areas of your operating system of choice. In this case, Microsoft is trying to get users to try out the paid version of its OneDrive cloud storage service. Interestingly enough, the redditor in question is already paying for OneDrive. OneDrive is integrated into Windows 10 and allows you to easily share files and user settings across devices.

(...)

After doing some digging around on the internet, it appears that the only way to remove these OneDrive advertisements is to [while within Windows Explorer] navigate to View —> Options —> View —> Advanced settings. From there you will need to uncheck the "Show sync provider notifications" box, and you'll be set free. Thankfully, this is a rather quick fix to get rid of annoying ads from within Windows 10. With that being said, it's probably easier for Microsoft to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Source: HotHardware

How to completely avoid upgrading to Windows 10... forever

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 07:56:27 AM

I have not continued using the free upgrade of Windows 10 offered last year because my PC could not contain the upgraded OS for reasons I don't know why...I suspect it is because I have an old PC.

Now, having said that, I would also be offended to be served with ads especially if I have not granted permission to be receiving such commercials. Maybe the company should ask permission from the user first.
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 07:18:45 PM

I have not continued using the free upgrade of Windows 10 offered last year because my PC could not contain the upgraded OS for reasons I don't know why...I suspect it is because I have an old PC.

I doubt it that it was your computer's fault. Cancer 10 is a work in progress and there are just too many bugs and rough edges to mention. Current users are essentially beta testers for Microsoft. Add to that the fact that it will never be a finished OS (MS doesn't even call it an OS anymore, they call it a service). You may even get to like it at some point, but Microsoft will be changing things all the time, and you will be stuck with whatever they decide to push down your throat.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 06:40:21 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2017, 01:56:56 AM by Spoetnik

WOW that is scammy !
It sounds like the Start-Menu ad bullshit too.  Roll Eyes
I wonder if they will get a lawsuit in the EU like the integrated browser drama ?

EDIT:

Shill's gettin' owned !

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1324740-advertising-in-windows-has-reached-an-exasperating-new-low/

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: