Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:33:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rating System for forum users.  (Read 2192 times)
badgerman (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 08:23:53 AM

Is there any threads or something like that on here for to see users reputations or feedback etc.?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:46:26 AM

Only thing we have here is who's a scammer and who isn't.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:35:57 AM

The best indicator we have is the ignore link highlight. It's not perfect, since ignores aren't always for rational reasons, but it's a fairly good indicator of a poster's signal to noise ratio. More noise, more yellow.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
badgerman (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 10:06:27 AM

Ah I see, not really great options. It be good if users had like a feedback/rating on there profile for people to leave  comments and feedback, and have a like the feedback number visible on the thread profile so you get a better idea how positve a rep they have. Even if it was just put on profiles of people trading/selling/buying as it would be good to see if the user has made reliable transactions before.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 10:15:31 AM

Ah I see, not really great options. It be good if users had like a feedback/rating on there profile for people to leave  comments and feedback, and have a like the feedback number visible on the thread profile so you get a better idea how positve a rep they have. Even if it was just put on profiles of people trading/selling/buying as it would be good to see if the user has made reliable transactions before.
Ah, now, for buying and selling there is a method of rating users, but it's a third-party site:
http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=Myrkul

It doesn't show on your user profile, though.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:31:11 AM

Reputation shouldn't be summed up in a single number. You need to look at the individual ratings, and who rated them. Like you won't care about -50 from Supa's sockpuppets.
badgerman (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 11:05:17 AM

Reputation shouldn't be summed up in a single number. You need to look at the individual ratings, and who rated them. Like you won't care about -50 from Supa's sockpuppets.

it would be a good indication of what the users overall trading rep and history is.everyone starts at 0, everytime you deal with a user you leave either add a positive +1 or negative feedback -1, the more positive or negative a total a user has would help users when trying to decide whether or not to trade with someone. Its a fair system for everyone.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:05:52 AM

it would be a good indication of what the users overall trading rep and history is.everyone starts at 0, everytime you deal with a user you leave either add a positive +1 or negative feedback -1, the more positive or negative a total a user has would help users when trying to decide whether or not to trade with someone. Its a fair system for everyone.

The problem is that kind of system can be easily abused.
badgerman (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 11:17:19 AM

The problem is that kind of system can be easily abused.

well the number would be just an overall rating, the users full profile could have a detailed more history showing who gave the feedback and any comments? It wouldnt be too hard to have it in such a way that only users can only leave feedback once for each trade. And an option to dispute feedback you get if you think its unfair. That would stop pretty most abuse and make the feedback relevent.
I see what you mean, but I'm just describing the system used in a few particular trading sites for some time now and its worked great.

uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:26:49 AM

Another issue with rating systems is that they quickly turn into popularity contests, I think a better indicator than ignore would be good though. How about instead of ratings each user profile has a review system? This was you can tell if they are getting up votes from the same users (friends), and you can also find out problems people have faced dealing with them.
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:34:52 AM

I see what you mean, but I'm just describing the system used in a few particular trading sites for some time now and its worked great.

I may be wrong on a few assumptions here, but here's my thoughts:

The forum isn't really intended to be a trading site, so it's kind of out of scope to have that here.  If there were a rating system like that then the it puts a lot more responsibility on the forum/staff to make sure that's not abused.

Plus there is at least one site that is setup for this purpose, bitcoin-otc.com.  There are probably some others as well, but I don't know of them off the top of my head.
badgerman (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:20:57 PM

Your points make sense and are the probably the better "dont fix whats not broken" way of thinking. And as you actually work for the forum I assume you probably have a more practical approach to these than me.  Cheesy

With staffing, would something like that really take much manpower? It could be mostly look after itself as it really just another feature on your profile, like a user influenced version of the coin rating thing? with a comment list under a users full profile.So youd only need someone to take a look at any disputes people have with feedback they consider to be unfair right?

I know its not meant to be trading site, but people do trade here, and forums are always a good spot to chat and trade with users. The way it is now neednt be changed, the feedback system could just be a something for people to see generally how a users previous deals went,and used soley at a users own risk. Obviously it would be silly to assume the feedback is a perfect reflection of someones reputation, as with anything. I dont suggest it as a major feature to be put in and change everyting, just as a small suggestion.

Im just making assumptions for converstaion so I'm not saying I'm right and the site needs it, just a thought I wanted to share with everyone  Grin

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:28:40 PM

Your points make sense and are the probably the better "dont fix whats not broken" way of thinking. And as you actually work for the forum I assume you probably have a more practical approach to these than me.  Cheesy

With staffing, would something like that really take much manpower?

Having to look over 100k members to make sure they're not "repping" each other up would be a pain in the ass.  There were already a slew of ripple-bots earlier, I think this would be an easily programmable way for newbs to get rep.  It's automated trust, and it defeats the purpose of "trust".  Considering the mods already have to take care of the rest of the forum, a system like that is just begging for abuse.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:31:49 PM

Why do people always say "I don't want this reputation issue to turn into a popularity contest..."?

Reputation *is* a popularity contest.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:41:00 PM

But always use escrow you can never go wrong.

Agreed. Except when your escrow is "dank".

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:42:50 PM

But always use escrow you can never go wrong.

Agreed. Except when your escrow is "dank".

Well he is jesus so I think that is in exchange for immortality LMAO
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:30:52 PM

Why do people always say "I don't want this reputation issue to turn into a popularity contest..."?

Not really, although maybe we see popularity as two different things. An active user who is friendly and who comes across genuine in posts is different from a snide user making fun of other newer users yet who is popular among their a clique of friends. I have not encountered this on these forums but I would not trust all popular people in that sense lol.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 03:41:12 AM

Not really, although maybe we see popularity as two different things. An active user who is friendly and who comes across genuine in posts is different from a snide user making fun of other newer users yet who is popular among their a clique of friends. I have not encountered this on these forums but I would not trust all popular people in that sense lol.

It is true though, think about it. If 1 person thinks you're a murderer (when you really are), and 100 people only know you as a good tennis player, your reputation will be good! Reputation is relative and is absolutely influenced by quantity over quality, hence popularity contest.

underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 08:24:48 PM

For example: john the dog (a moderator) sucks.  Most people seem to like him, but he is pretty much the reason I quit logging in everyday.  I would love to be able to vote him down in a way besides just ignoring him and then blanking out what he says.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 08:28:29 PM

For example: john the dog (a moderator) sucks.  Most people seem to like him, but he is pretty much the reason I quit logging in everyday.  I would love to be able to vote him down in a way besides just ignoring him and then blanking out what he says.

One person made you lose interest in the forums?  I'd like to hear that story.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: