Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:01:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rating System for forum users.  (Read 2192 times)
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:15:06 AM

For example: john the dog (a moderator) sucks.  Most people seem to like him, but he is pretty much the reason I quit logging in everyday.  I would love to be able to vote him down in a way besides just ignoring him and then blanking out what he says.

Are you one of the spammers I kept banning?  Shocked
That's pretty much the people I think I've angered.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:24:44 AM

I can only remember getting in a keyboard fight with MysteryMiner over deleting his dank-suiciding-egging posts (but I don't think we are in hostile terms  Wink ), furry coat and his scammer alts, and countless spammers I banned/deleted posts/sent warnings. I like to think I'm pretty reasonable.  Grin
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 05:02:28 AM

I can only remember getting in a keyboard fight with MysteryMiner over deleting his dank-suiciding-egging posts (but I don't think we are in hostile terms  Wink ), furry coat and his scammer alts, and countless spammers I banned/deleted posts/sent warnings. I like to think I'm pretty reasonable.  Grin

I thought you were Global Janitor? What happened; is Global Troll-buster a promotion?  Grin

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:16:50 AM

I thought you were Global Janitor? What happened; is Global Troll-buster a promotion?  Grin

=P I 'promoted' myself. It's a changeable title.  Grin
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:44:06 AM

You could keep the Ignore button and only have an "upvote" button (like Reddit). You are limited to 1 upvote for each other user than yourself. That way, the relation between 1 user and another 1 can be of these 3 states:
-Neutral
-Upvoted
-Ignored

The Ignore button works pretty well and the Upvote button could balance the current system. You can even use the same formula as the Ignore button. Put an Upvote button above, and the more people click it, the greener it is.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 06:59:02 AM

You could keep the Ignore button and only have an "upvote" button (like Reddit). You are limited to 1 upvote for each other user than yourself. That way, the relation between 1 user and another 1 can be of these 3 states:
-Neutral
-Upvoted
-Ignored

The Ignore button works pretty well and the Upvote button could balance the current system. You can even use the same formula as the Ignore button. Put an Upvote button above, and the more people click it, the greener it is.
That's an interesting idea.

I bet there would be people with very dark yellow ignore links and very dark green upvote links.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:36:15 AM

Popular doesn't equal trustworthy and if you want to see the problem with reputation systems, look at the history of the people who were associated with the pirate fiasco - they were some of the most "reputable" members on these forums.

Generally, if there's an issue with a certain person's behaviour in Marketplace, Lending or Securities, a thread will pop up in the scam accusations forum (even if it's not technically a scam) or those with unresolved issues will troll their current threads.

Hell, I'd like to see "Hero member" renamed to "too much free time" because I'm not sure all newbies realise it goes solely on post count or that VIP member is a bought status.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:01:35 PM

A reputation system won't help against long cons like Pirate, but what does? There isn't much the forum can do, even requiring ID to register an account wouldn't do much good. There's always a bonding system of some sort, but that's better left to third parties who are setup and have the time for it.

But just because a reputation system doesn't help against those types of cases, shouldn't rule it out entirely. I think it would be extremely helpful for the newbies that get scammed by disposable accounts with two or three months aged and 5 posts, or the pm scammers. Will be more difficult to make disposable scammer accounts en masse, because someone gaming the rep system on a large scale will be noticed, and the rep system could adapt to compensate.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:46:26 PM

I had different idea, mentioned it twice, but perhaps in the wrong place so there was no answer. This thread looks like the right one :-].
I do not know how "simple machines forum" works and what it allows, but...
Would it be possible to add personalized tags to other users? This do not work as reputation as you would be the only one seeing this tags. Current possibility to Ignore/Unignore user is too crude. What if ignored person posts something reasonable in the future?

For example: Someone has may Ignores and therefore coloured ignore. But I read his posts and conclude that he does not deserve it. So I will make a personal remark for this person "Ignored because he dare asks questions that only a few dare ask". Or I would like a tag "writes long texts but worth reading" or "has been scammed by MtGox, hates them" (so everything he/she writes about exchanges in the future, I can take it with the right perspective).
And I want to see this my remark beside every post he makes. Nobody else would see this even the person who is taged. (This way it will not turn into popularity contest.)

Simpler way to make this is to enhance possibilities for ignore. For example "show all posts from this person in gray color 8pt font" - So I know I can probably ignore it, but wont miss one sentence answers. Or "Allways show this thumb up/thumb down icon besides this person posts" - So I do not get confused by users with the same generic avatar. I know that Such thing could probably be made with some script hacking like GreaseMonkey, but official functionality would be better.
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:07:20 AM

tysat:

I have a problem with Tomatocage's "solution" to spamming which consists of trolling all transactions.  What he *used* to do is comment on every transaction current on any particular day trash like "escrow that shit or I will come back and laugh at your stupid ass."  I think we can agree that this type of comment does not come from a good or constructive place--he did this all the time.  There are several other members who noticed this and complained as well.  I got into several arguments with him over this and as a result, admittedly he has gotten better--but John's handling of the situation was abysmal.  I don't think getting a gold star pinned on your chest and thread pinned on the forum is a good response to what started out simply as justification of disruptive behavior. 

I have had all good transactions on the forums and aside from spats with (dicks) like tecshare and charliecontent I've been on fairly good behavior the entire time I've been here and resent being called a spammer by someone who (obviously) won't bother to do a quick search on my name.  I'd love to see some progress in the way we handle things here, we need stronger mods but we also need effective and good ones or the point is moot.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:23:17 AM

tysat:

I have a problem with Tomatocage's "solution" to spamming which consists of trolling all transactions.  What he *used* to do is comment on every transaction current on any particular day trash like "escrow that shit or I will come back and laugh at your stupid ass."  I think we can agree that this type of comment does not come from a good or constructive place--he did this all the time.  There are several other members who noticed this and complained as well.  I got into several arguments with him over this and as a result, admittedly he has gotten better--but John's handling of the situation was abysmal.  I don't think getting a gold star pinned on your chest and thread pinned on the forum is a good response to what started out simply as justification of disruptive behavior. 

I have had all good transactions on the forums and aside from spats with (dicks) like tecshare and charliecontent I've been on fairly good behavior the entire time I've been here and resent being called a spammer by someone who (obviously) won't bother to do a quick search on my name.  I'd love to see some progress in the way we handle things here, we need stronger mods but we also need effective and good ones or the point is moot.

The forum policy allows freedom of speech posts like he did. You may notice that we're lax on post deletion front - virtually only spam posts are deleted. As for what tomatocage did - he's been reducing the scamming reports by a ton after he started posting warnings. You won't imagine how much reports I was getting daily before tomatocage started to give his warnings proactively - at one point I myself started to place warnings on painfully obvious threads simply to prevent noobs from being scammed. So far I've been mostly only getting reports from scammers against him so I think he's doing a pretty good job there.

Also, we'd ban MPOE-PR or even Micon first if the forum went with your suggestion - they're bigger 'trolls' following your definition than tomatocage. However, they're indeed helping the community in a way by policing the businesses and voicing their warnings. We're thankful for that.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: