Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:16:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin exchanges in the UK  (Read 635 times)
amylizzle (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:07:22 PM

I'm aware there are none, but I was mostly wondering why?

I purchased mine through bitstamp, but I'd much rather buy locally.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
blue42

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:22:44 PM

I believe blockchain.info is in York. You might also try localbitcoins.com
CoinsAreCoins

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:55:24 PM

I am also looking for a UK exchange :/

Do you know if we can use Mt.Gox from the UK?

Thanks!
Joshster

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:56:34 PM

You can use MtGox from the UK but you have to pay for a wire transfer to their bank account and the fee is pretty hefty.
CoinsAreCoins

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:05:41 PM

You can use MtGox from the UK but you have to pay for a wire transfer to their bank account and the fee is pretty hefty.

Which side is the fee charged on and do you know how much it is? As in does my bank charge or does theirs?

Thanks
Joshster

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:23:40 PM

Which side is the fee charged on and do you know how much it is? As in does my bank charge or does theirs?

Thanks

I believe you have to pay the fee to start the transfer on your end, if you have online banking sign in and go to transfers and it should tell you the fee's you have to pay.
katie1348

Activity: 37

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:28:03 PM

I believe blockchain.info is in York. You might also try localbitcoins.com

Localbitcoins.com doesn't seem to be real, they might has some users, but every time I try to create an account and it has been this way for 2 months, I get a page which says the following:

Forbidden (403)

CSRF verification failed. Request aborted.

More information is available with DEBUG=True.

Which doesn't seem like a good way to run a service.

K
CoinsAreCoins

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:51:54 PM

Thanks

I believe you have to pay the fee to start the transfer on your end, if you have online banking sign in and go to transfers and it should tell you the fee's you have to pay.

What about using something like www.transferwise.com to make the transfer to Mt.Gox?

Would that avoid the fees?

Thanks.
nastygirl

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:54:23 PM

Mt.Gox bank account is in Japan, it used to be in Jersey, but now it is abroad and costs a lot for a transfer.
Joshster

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:55:58 PM

This is a estimate but I believe it would cost around 20 GBP - 30 GBP to transfer funds there from a UK Bank.
k2397

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:13:09 PM

I live in the UK and I have bought bitcoins twice from localbitcoins.com, and once from bitbargain.co.uk.  All were quick and painless transactions, and I have subsequently moved the bitcoins to Mt Gox and BTC-e. Trying to fund the exchanges directly from the UK is painful, slow and expensive. 
Joshster

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:16:58 PM

Yea, that is always a good plan. But some BTC from another source and then upload them to Mt Gox and then you can trade and then withdraw back to BTC and sell on a public forum such as this.
GiganticDays

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:28:51 PM

I have a verified MtGox account (verification took about 2 weeks).
My bank charged £25 for the International transfer and MtGox charged a further £12 so it's a bit pricey unless you're sending significant amounts.
I've also bought from Localbitcoins.com sellers and had no problems. You pay a premium though, but it's good for small quantities.
CoinsAreCoins

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:37:44 PM

I have a verified MtGox account (verification took about 2 weeks).
My bank charged £25 for the International transfer and MtGox charged a further £12 so it's a bit pricey unless you're sending significant amounts.
I've also bought from Localbitcoins.com sellers and had no problems. You pay a premium though, but it's good for small quantities.

Yeah it costs more to buy from localbitcoins which makes me think transferring money to Mt.Gox and paying the fee may result in an overall cheaper transactions depending on amount?

Also what about using something like www.transferwise.com to make the transfer to Mt.Gox?
amylizzle (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:14:16 PM

What I've been doing is using http://transferwise.com/u/fbd1 to send coins via SEPA to https://www.bitstamp.net/.

I sent 60 EUR, it cost me ~£52, and I ended up with $78 (for which I bought 1.24BTC - well timed market crash  Grin)

Pretty cheap compared to other options, but did take 3 days for the SEPA transfer to confirm and it's a kinda round-a-bout way of doing things.
elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:21:14 PM

Why so complicated? UK must be SEPA zone, can you not send a SEPA transfer directly from your bank?
MattFoster42

Activity: 40

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:48:37 PM

Bitbargain is the only thing I've found that takes UK bank transfer and pingit. The price are steep however, you have to be sure it's going up
dave3k

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

Realbitcoin.info

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:50:46 PM

Why so complicated? UK must be SEPA zone, can you not send a SEPA transfer directly from your bank?
I could not find any SEPA options online (Santander), I dont know if you coud do so via phone or in bank.

I found localbitcoins.com the best option for me.

Realbitcoin.info
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: