Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:17:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitScavenger.net a Bitcoin geocaching game  (Read 2376 times)
JustJake (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

Numisalis - Physical Tradable Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:18:29 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2013, 08:30:16 PM by JustJake

Hello everyone!  I wanted to invite people to participate in the open Alpha of BitScavenger.net at http://bitscavenger.net.  This is a project that combines my two passions, Bitcoin and QR Codes.  Before delving into a description of the project, here are some warnings:

- This game is currently Android only.  I am working with someone to make an iPhone client and I hope it passes certification.
- This project is in Alpha.  I have done as thorough a job testing this as I can but there may still be bugs or safety features I am missing.  Do not place more bitcoin in your account than you are comfortable losing.  I have taken every safety precaution I can think of, but stuff happens and you have been warned.
- The URL is bitscavenger.NET.  The .com address is a squatter but if they change content don't be fooled.  It is not me.
- Things currently look a little rough.  I am open to feedback but I am also actively developing and I wanted to get something out there.
- When you create an account make sure that you use an email address you can check.  The website is where you can do some of the better stuff like withdrawing your bitcoin and I send a confirmation code to unlock your use of the website.

SO...  BitScavenger is a Bitcoin GeoCaching game.  You can re-purpose any QR code you see around you to become a bitcoin cache.  The game will couple the contents of the QR code with your current location to generate a cache where you can then store bitcoin.  At this time it is advisable that you leave a clue about the QR code you scanned because just going off geo location it may still be difficult to find the QR code.  The only other option you have is to make the QR cache hidden on the map so it does not show up on the game client map view.  You can use this option to leave chains of clues and leave larger amounts of bitcoin in hidden caches.

If you are hunting for bitcoin you will be using the default map view.  QR caches that are currently charged with bitcoin will show up as a marker on the map.  You can click the marker and it will let you know the bitcoin amount as well as the clue for finding the QR code.  You must scan the correct QR code while standing in the correct location to claim the bitcoin to your account.  Once you have claimed the bitcoin that cache will disappear.

I am hoping that this game is a tool to introduce a bigger audience into the world of bitcoin.  For people who are interested in bitcoin but are not yet part of the community this is a way for them to get a couple thousand Satoshi and have fun doing it.  For enthusiasts who want to spread the word you can advertise for mBTC at a time.  I also think that there are really creative puzzles that you can create using the app.  My webpage has a QR code generator you can use.  Maybe the QR cache has a clue in the contents of the QR code.  Or have someone go to a library and enter the clue into a computer to generate the QR version of the clue text.  Scan a moving QR code like something on the side of a bus and put the bus schedule in the clue.  I think a lot of creative puzzle can be created.

To help out the people charging QR codes with bitcoin, the web tools also provide a way to manage all the QR caches you own.  Recharge them without having to go back, redeem them yourself at the click of a button, change the clue, toggle the hidden state.

I love feedback and I would really love if people validated my run at the concept.  PM me with comments/suggestion or hit me up at jake (at) bitscavenger -dot- net.

- edit1 -
I should have done this earlier, but I was caught up in ironing out bugs for this launch.  I created the first Bitcoin cache in the game.  You can find it in my home town of Austin Texas.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tek-Ti

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:17:55 PM

This sounds like fun Smiley
Tek-Ti

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:23:25 PM

The mBTC linked to the caches are in a central wallet, right? How about decentralizing it by generating private keys to QR-codes (just like Caussius coins). That would leverage the nature of bitcoin more transparently.
JustJake (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:49:59 PM

First feedback, hooray!  This is all stored in a centralized wallet, you are correct.  I thought the centralized wallet would allow me to abstract the bitcoin concept and make it more user friendly for people who are new to bitcoin.  Also, for the speed and ease of use of the game I wanted any scannable QR code in the world to be convertible into a cache and not require users to print out QR codes and leave them places.  That way most of the work is already done by people who have placed QR codes around for their own purposes.  I think that is what you were getting at with your feedback.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:26:03 AM

Nice! If no one finds your first cache before Friday, I might just make a trip from San Antonio to look for it.  Wink

First feedback, hooray!  This is all stored in a centralized wallet, you are correct.  I thought the centralized wallet would allow me to abstract the bitcoin concept and make it more user friendly for people who are new to bitcoin.  Also, for the speed and ease of use of the game I wanted any scannable QR code in the world to be convertible into a cache and not require users to print out QR codes and leave them places.  That way most of the work is already done by people who have placed QR codes around for their own purposes.  I think that is what you were getting at with your feedback.

I think this is the same problem I ran into with CryptoBill.com. From what I can tell, your idea is easier to use (as long as you have the app) but still relies on a significant number of bitcoin enthusiasts willing to give away bitcents. There is also the trust issue but I don't think it's a deal breaker - deposits shouldn't be significant and theft would be counterproductive.

Still around.
JustJake (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 02:52:32 AM

Please do not drive up for the $0.20 I left here in Austin.  I want to fund many other caches but I don't see myself dropping anything large into a cache unless it is through some organized promotion.  I would definitely appreciate you starting some caches in San Antonio Smiley.

I agree that this project will depend on a lot of enthusiasts donating small bitcents.  I am hoping that the game is easy enough to use and engaging enough so that people will use it.  Lots of flexibility in a small amount of options.  I have my fingers crossed that I executed correctly on this concept.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:42:14 AM

- This game is currently Android only.  I am working with someone to make an iPhone client and I hope it passes certification.

I still have an Android device so I'll be able to take a look, but my mobile is a Blackberry 10 (Q10) device.  I'm seeing a lot of Android apps that can be packaged for BB10 without much effort.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bitcoins...BIIITCOINS

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:02:03 PM

Hi, very cool idea, I had a similar one but couldn't figure out a way to make profit, is that a goal of yours, and if so, how?

Good luck!
JustJake (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 06:13:40 PM

I am planning on this being self sustaining if not profitable.  I charge a fee when you put bitcoin into a cache.  It is a whopping 0.5%.  I have other plans as well for an additional feature that will be more costly but I want to see if people are willing to play before I venture that road.  It would be premature to put in a feature that no one will care about if no one is playing.
JustJake (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 09:24:53 PM

I have gotten some good feedback and the latest release of the Android client now connects to my server through SSL.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 11:37:25 PM

For what it's worth, you write eloquently, pulling the reading into what you have to offer oppose to others claiming to have the next-best-thing, then expressing it as how a 10-year-old would write. Bravo!
JustJake (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 04:40:27 AM

For what it's worth, you write eloquently, pulling the reading into what you have to offer oppose to others claiming to have the next-best-thing, then expressing it as how a 10-year-old would write. Bravo!

Futurama Fry: Not sure if that was a compliment or insult.

Anyway, it seems like there is a general trust paranoia which I completely understand.  To push the trust forward by inches I decided to put BitScavenger in the Android Play store a bit earlier than I had originally planned.  So now you know the app has at least passed an automated approval process for whatever that is worth.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 07:35:19 PM

Futurama Fry: Not sure if that was a compliment or insult.

That's my reaction to pretty much everything Phinnaeus writes.

Still around.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 04:43:24 AM

This project still growing?

Do these count as geocaches on geocaching.com?

I guess these are removed and considered redeemed once found, whereas geocaches are simply logged.

I think the bitcoins are cool, and there's a way to keep it sustained with an advertising component of randomly posting the amounts to bring people to a location.  However, the content may need to be updated and/or simply load a new QR code to avoid any bots spoofing location to claim prize.

Seems cool, will definitely add to my agenda for the Cleveland Meetup this wed.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 03:33:53 PM

This sounds like a blast!

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: