Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:50:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So I just bought a KnCMiner Jupiter Miner for a alt coin external GPU project.  (Read 677 times)
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

Activity: 184
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 04:58:17 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2017, 04:48:14 AM by Xeon_Xeon

It supposed to work and is complete and comes with a 1200w raidmax power supply.

It should make a killer external gpu case, looks like it might hold 5 or 6 gpu's inside once I take out the asic's and motherboard.

Its worth the $65.00 I paid for it in parts, has 4 heatsinks and fans that I can reuse on other projects, power supply that I might resell and recoup some of my money.

I plan on maybe eventually connecting it to my main pc, its a dual socket 2011-3 build.

With dual Xeon's I will have 80 pci-e lanes so I'm hoping I can do eight gpu's without too much of a problem, 6 in the external case and the two that are already in my pc.

Will need to remove the standoff's inside the case so I can mount some USB 1x to 16x PCI-E 3.0 Risers.

I thought about modding a long Rosewill server case but that would not be a good fit where my pc is at now.

I have been thinking of an external gpu case to use with my pc but prebuilt ones are expensive so I started to look at audio server cases, project boxes ect but was not happy with anything so far.

Then a little while ago I was looking a mining rigs online and came across a pic of this bitcoin miner and once I found out about what size it is I thought it would be perfect for gpu's so I went on ebay and found this one.

I am really only buying it for the case and $65.00 is cheap because if I was to buy some sort of a metal box and mod that it would cost more and this is almost ready to go.

Hummm heading for for over 6000 H/s mining monero?HuhHuhHuh?

It will be here in about a week or so, and I will power it on to see if it works before I rip the guts out.

Edit : It looks like the cpu coolers ar Arctic Freezer i30's , I can defiantly use those once I scrounge up the brackets for a pc motherboard. Its an older cooler but its rated for 320 watts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Golku

Activity: 263
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 05:04:48 PM

Keep us updated looks like a interesting project
Kneedle

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 05:29:45 PM

Now thats kinda funny, I literally just built a couple of these in the last week.  I have 4 jupiters from back in the day and had a 'hey! I can reuse stuff!' moment like you!

A few thoughts - file down all edges.  Also, cut out slots in the back to widen them for hdmi cable access - the factory slots are too narrow.

In the picture you'll see a evga 1300 on its side, next to 2 fans from antminer s3's - its a tight fit!  The stock 140 fans are too wide and needed to be removed.. the stock ones are too weak for this application anyway.

space is certainly at a premium.

vice grips on the studs in the aluminum bottom work great - they pry right out.

The aluminum is very soft and easy to cut with a hacksaw.  I mounted the motherboard with the usb/ethernet ports to the right side.  I needed to make room for the ports by removing some aluminum from the side, so I cut slots every 1/2 inch or so then just broke off  the 'tabs' I created at the bend from the factory.  I hope that makes sense. 

After you drill the aluminum for motherboard mounts, file off the drill holes as there's always some bits of aluminum left that keeps the surface from being flush.

Wear gloves...did I mention how f*cking sharp those damn edges are? 

if you want to reuse the top, check out the flat aluminum bars that hold down the heatsinks - they can be mounted to the cover creatively to raise it up an inch - that will give clearance for the gpu tops and cables.  See the second picture.

You can fit 6 gpu's without a problem, as long as the card/power supply dont fight for space.  Dont use really long cards or a extra long psu and you'll be fine.
Good luck!

http://imgur.com/BD8zFrL

http://imgur.com/GmkJ8zz
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 05:43:16 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2017, 05:56:10 PM by Xeon_Xeon

Thats cool!! LOL

I am not going to run a motherboard in it, just gpu's and maybe a server power supply.

Thanks for the pics!!

Now I know I have plenty of space for 7 gpu's and a decent power supply internal.

Looking at the pics on-line I thought the case was smaller than it is.

Now thats kinda funny, I literally just built a couple of these in the last week.  I have 4 jupiters from back in the day and had a 'hey! I can reuse stuff!' moment like you!

A few thoughts - file down all edges.  Also, cut out slots in the back to widen them for hdmi cable access - the factory slots are too narrow.

In the picture you'll see a evga 1300 on its side, next to 2 fans from antminer s3's - its a tight fit!  The stock 140 fans are too wide and needed to be removed.. the stock ones are too weak for this application anyway.

The aluminum is very soft and easy to cut with a hacksaw.  I mounted the motherboard with the usb/ethernet ports to the right side.  I needed to make room for the ports by removing some aluminum from the side, so I cut slots every 1/2 inch or so then just broke off  the 'tabs' I created at the bend from the factory.  I hope that makes sense.  

After you drill the aluminum for motherboard mounts, file off the drill holes as there's always some bits of aluminum left that keeps the surface from being flush.

if you want to reuse the top, check out the flat aluminum bars that hold down the heatsinks - they can be mounted to the cover creatively to raise it up an inch - that will give clearance for the gpu tops and cables.  See the second picture.

You can fit 6 gpu's without a problem, as long as the card/power supply dont fight for space.  Dont use really long cards or a extra long psu and you'll be fine.
Good luck!

CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 08:46:40 AM

Thats cool!! LOL

I am not going to run a motherboard in it, just gpu's and maybe a server power supply.

Thanks for the pics!!

Now I know I have plenty of space for 7 gpu's and a decent power supply internal.

Now thats kinda funny, I literally just built a couple of these in the last week.  I have 4 jupiters from back in the day and had a 'hey! I can reuse stuff!' moment like you!

A few thoughts - file down all edges.  Also, cut out slots in the back to widen them for hdmi cable access - the factory slots are too narrow.

In the picture you'll see a evga 1300 on its side, next to 2 fans from antminer s3's - its a tight fit!  The stock 140 fans are too wide and needed to be removed.. the stock ones are too weak for this application anyway.

The aluminum is very soft and easy to cut with a hacksaw.  I mounted the motherboard with the usb/ethernet ports to the right side.  I needed to make room for the ports by removing some aluminum from the side, so I cut slots every 1/2 inch or so then just broke off  the 'tabs' I created at the bend from the factory.  I hope that makes sense.  

if you want to reuse the top, check out the flat aluminum bars that hold down the heatsinks - they can be mounted to the cover creatively to raise it up an inch - that will give clearance for the gpu tops and cables.  See the second picture.

You can fit 6 gpu's without a problem, as long as the card/power supply dont fight for space.  Dont use really long cards or a extra long psu and you'll be fine.
Good luck!

much easier to just buy some angled aluminum and some wood planks to build a frame, much cheaper too around half the costs. tbh your putting in more work and money into something that should be kept low cost and simple, sure re using stuff is nice, but there should be a limit lol. just saying. if you already have the stuff great but bad idea to spend more money and stock things that you may or may not use later that's prolly going to sit around and collect dust

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 02:44:33 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2017, 04:50:09 AM by Xeon_Xeon

Thats cool!! LOL

Thanks for the pics!!

Good luck!

much easier to just buy some angled aluminum and some wood planks to build a frame, much cheaper too around half the costs. tbh your putting in more work and money into something that should be kept low cost and simple, sure re using stuff is nice, but there should be a limit lol. just saying. if you already have the stuff great but bad idea to spend more money and stock things that you may or may not use later that's prolly going to sit around and collect dust

Computers have been a hobby for me since the late 70's when I had my first Heath Kit catalog that I sent away for and then a clone 8088 in the 80's, im not worried to much about the income from it and not worried about r.o.i. at all.

Oh i'm not rich and I do have to watch what I spend, I have kids and exwife and child support and all the regular bills, and I do save up for the things I want to build.

If I was not interested in mining now I would be spending the money on some other computer build and if I can make some money while i'm messing around with a hobby that would be nice.

I'm already building it in my head and have a couple of ideas that I think will be pretty damn cool.

And it will look really nice too.
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 02:57:58 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2017, 04:47:45 AM by Xeon_Xeon

The seller finally shipped today....

Oh well I have progress.

I have the parts for the pc that the external GPU's will be tested on.

You know its a huge case when I SSI-EEB sized motherboard is not even close to a tight fit.

I sold my E5-2670's that were in it for more money than I paid for them last year so i'm looking for the right E5 V2's or a couple of V1's priced right.

Another dual Xeon build woo-hoo!!

80 PCI-e lanes!!

EDIT: The case is a ~16 year old Thermaltake Xazer II, freaking heavy but SOLID and unmodded.
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 02:02:56 AM

UPDATE!!!

Seems that UPS has lost the package..... Angry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: