Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:39:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Disappeared  (Read 573 times)
Kutzult (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 12:52:38 AM

I sent a payment that was rejected by blockchain and pruned because of to low of a fee, it took about 5 days to be sent back to my electrum wallet and looks like it was sent out again? Where did the payment go? I was under the impression after being rejected it would have just come back to my wallet and stayed. The BTC address it was sent to changes every few days or so, does this mean that I've lost the BTC forever?

Would be greatful for any advise
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 03:37:59 AM

Firstly, the Bitcoin is not actually sent back to your wallet. Your wallet just "forgets" the transaction and reverts to a state where the transaction was never sent. However, that does not mean that everyone else on the network has forgotten your transaction as well and someone could be rebroadcasting continuously.

However, there is a bigger issue here, the addresses in the transaction changing. This should not happen unless you are sending the Bitcoin again. If this is happening, that means that someone has gotten your private keys and compromised your wallet.

Kutzult (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 06:18:22 AM

Firstly, the Bitcoin is not actually sent back to your wallet. Your wallet just "forgets" the transaction and reverts to a state where the transaction was never sent. However, that does not mean that everyone else on the network has forgotten your transaction as well and someone could be rebroadcasting continuously.

However, there is a bigger issue here, the addresses in the transaction changing. This should not happen unless you are sending the Bitcoin again. If this is happening, that means that someone has gotten your private keys and compromised your wallet.

No, I mean that the address I was sending to changes every few days or so, not that my address changes.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 08:01:04 AM

No, I mean that the address I was sending to changes every few days or so, not that my address changes.

Yeah it wouldn't have gone out again on its own unless you ( or someone else ) sent a new transaction. Check your history and see if there was any recent transactions.
Kutzult (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 01:12:21 PM

Yeah it wouldn't have gone out again on its own unless you ( or someone else ) sent a new transaction. Check your history and see if there was any recent transactions.

It definatly went out again on its own, or atleast seems that way to me and there is no possibility that someone else did it, I'm secure and no one in my home has any idea about BTC.

It was originally sent on the 6th, rejected by node on blockchain and then showed as an confirmed credit back to my wallet, then today when I woke up I found this

https://blockchain.info/tx/030610501cd09ebef50efccb23a5ef1c0e76f7be15da740851a1599381940e4d

My balance now shows 0
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 05:03:51 PM

It definatly went out again on its own, or atleast seems that way to me and there is no possibility that someone else did it, I'm secure and no one in my home has any idea about BTC.
Physical security does not matter as much when it comes to digital things like Bitcoin. If the address that the Bitcoin is being sent to without you doing anything, then that means that someone else has somehow gotten your private keys. This means that you may have a virus on your computer, or the random number generator was bad. Either way, you no longer have control of the Bitcoin.

It was originally sent on the 6th, rejected by node on blockchain and then showed as an confirmed credit back to my wallet, then today when I woke up I found this

https://blockchain.info/tx/030610501cd09ebef50efccb23a5ef1c0e76f7be15da740851a1599381940e4d

My balance now shows 0
Are any of the address receiving the Bitcoin addresses that you intended to send Bitcoin to?

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 09:14:38 PM

My balance now shows 0

Was it the same original transaction you sent or did the coins get sent to a new address? It is possible that your original transaction simply confirmed after being rebroadcasted if they went to the same addresses that you were originally sending to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: