Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:17:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit transaction sent 12 hours ago 10 peers seen it. still unconfirmed  (Read 1286 times)
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 12:31:30 PM

I haven't used multibit in years but some change accumulated on an address connected to the client and yesterday, maybe influenced by the relative high price of Bitcoin (still very low compared to the medium term potential), I decided to send it to an other address :-)

12 hours ago, I issued a transaction, the minimum default transaction fee I could use was 0.0019011 and it made a 4 digit after coma round number for the money sent. It seems like a huge transaction fee but I was impatient and rusty on multibit so I sent it anyway without trying to lower it.

Now, the transaction is still pending/unconfirmed, 10 peers have seen it, it's not on blockchain and I need to close multibit then re-open it to refresh the number of peers that have seen or it stays the same.

I see a lot of subjects about pending transactions, the most common advice is to switch to multibit HD but I am not familiar with it so I have some uncertainty on whether it will work or not.

Can anyone enlighten me on my chances in waiting for the transaction to be confirmed ? How many peers could it take ?
Thanks.

The version is 0.5.16.

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 01:40:29 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2017, 11:42:28 AM by HI-TEC99

If you post the transaction's ID here the community might be able to help.

Very old versions of multibit were capable of sending transactions that included something called high s values. Since then the Bitcoin network has been changed to only accept transactions with low s values. If your wallet sent a high s value transaction the network will reject it.

Upgrading to the latest multibit classic version will solve that problem

https://multibit.org/releases/multibit-classic/multibit-classic-0.5.19/

There is a problem with Multibit Classic where the transactions with high "S" values are not accepted since the Bitcoin protocol is now enforcing low S values only. So my question is will the developers and maintainers of Multibit upgrade classic to use only low S values when sending Bitcoins?

I hope they will since I like the classic wallet better than HD. I would hate to run into problems where my transactions would not be accepted by the network.

Besides that problem the network has a high backlog of transactions. Any transaction without a very high fee per KB is likely to take longer than normal to confirm.
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 05:16:27 PM

If you post the transaction's ID here the community might be able to help.

Very old versions of multibit were capable of sending transactions that included something called high s values. Since then the Bitcoin network has been changed yo only accept transactions with low s values. If your wallet sent a high s value transaction the network will reject it.

Upgrading to the latest multibit classic version will solve that problem

https://multibit.org/release-info/classic/v0.5.18.html

There is a problem with Multibit Classic where the transactions with high "S" values are not accepted since the Bitcoin protocol is now enforcing low S values only. So my question is will the developers and maintainers of Multibit upgrade classic to use only low S values when sending Bitcoins?

I hope they will since I like the classic wallet better than HD. I would hate to run into problems where my transactions would not be accepted by the network.

Besides that problem the network has a high backlog of transactions. Any transaction without a very high fee per KB is likely to take longer than normal to confirm.

OK thanks, I will wait until tomorrow morning then I will move the funds through a new multibit version or an other client. The size of the transaction is 18,687 bytes.

More on high S value not accepted : https://blog.blockcypher.com/enforcing-low-s-values-to-eliminate-a-bitcoin-network-attack-3582fc0ae948#.jyz0jj8mw

HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 06:05:13 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 07:50:31 PM by HI-TEC99

OK thanks, I will wait until tomorrow morning then I will move the funds through a new multibit version or an other client. The size of the transaction is 18,687 bytes.

If you paid a 0.0019011 BTC transaction fee for a 18,687 byte transaction, then you paid an extremely low fee by the standards of today's overloaded network. Others paying such low fees have waited days for a confirmation.

I issued a transaction, the minimum default transaction fee I could use was 0.0019011

A 0.0019011 BTC fee for a 18,687 byte transaction is paying 0.0001056 BTC per KB.

That's just above the minimum 0.0001 BTC per KB fee that the viabtc pool requires to let you use its transaction accelerator. Keep trying to submit your transaction's ID to this webpage until it says acceleration succeeded, and the viabtc pool will include your transaction in the next block it mines (provided it's a low s transaction). The page only accepts 100 transactions an hour, and it's overloaded with requests, so you have to keep trying a few times an hour.

https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/

The latest multibit classic (0.5.19) has a fee slider in the preferences. It's maximum possible fee is 0.0005 BTC per KB, and there are times when that's not high enough to get a fast confirmation. This is a screenshot of it.

The version you are using (0.5.16) does not have that fee slider.

Electrum also has a fee slider, but its slider dynamically calculates the best fee to pay based on the current number of unconfirmed transactions. It currently recommends paying more than 0.003 BTC per KB for a confirmation in the next block. That's over six times more than the maximum the latest version of multibit will let you pay.

This is a recent screenshot of electrum's slider.

boumalo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 11:26:38 AM

OK thank you, it's very precise.

But when i enter the transaction in https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/ it shows "Transaction does not exist".

Also, I clicked on "Reset blockchain and transactions" in the multibit client, it synced again but now the transaction doesn't appear in transactions, the btc are not here and didn't arrive to destination. I closed it and re-opened it 3 times, it stays the same. I had reset the blockchain and transactions on Friday the transaction had been canceled, the money was displayed in the client.

If the transaction was sent it should appear on the receiving address.

HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 11:41:59 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 07:48:23 PM by HI-TEC99

OK thank you, it's very precise.

But when i enter the transaction in https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/ it shows "Transaction does not exist".

Also, I clicked on "Reset blockchain and transactions" in the multibit client, it synced again but now the transaction doesn't appear in transactions, the btc are not here and didn't arrive to destination. I closed it and re-opened it 3 times, it stays the same. I had reset the blockchain and transactions on Friday the transaction had been canceled, the money was displayed in the client.

If the transaction was sent it should appear on the receiving address.

Your wallet must have generated a high s transaction that the network keeps rejecting. Upgrade to the latest multibit and import your wallet file into that. The latest multibit classic (0.5.19) will only let you send a low s transaction that the network will accept.

https://multibit.org/releases/multibit-classic/multibit-classic-0.5.19/

It's best to backup your wallet before upgrading.

To do that click the windows start button, then copy and paste the line of text below into the search box that appears, then press the enter key to open the folder containing your wallet files.

%appdata%\Multibit

This is what your search box should look like after you have copied and pasted the line above into it.

Inside the folder containing your wallet files you need to backup any file ending in .info, any file ending in .wallet, and any folder ending in -data.

boumalo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 09:05:33 AM

So for the record, i reset twice the multibit client for the funds to be displayed again then i tried to import the private keys to a multibit hd and to a blockchain wallet unsuccessfully and i ended up trying your solution to use a non hd newer classic version of multibit that allowed to change the transaction fees.

0.0002/byte worked well, my transaction is confirmed, thank you very much for the help. Bitcointalk is indeed very useful ;-)

Coin-Moron

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 03:02:24 PM

Kindly Help.

How to restore from a multibit hd wallet into a multibit classic wallet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: