Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:44:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoind 0.14 - pruning mode question  (Read 490 times)
Velkro (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 02:30:12 PM

Im curious, because new versions of bitcoin core coming so fast i can't keep up with new features and all wiki page's can't keep up also.

I wanted to ask about pruning mode because in Bitcoind 0.12 and 0.13 usage of prunning mode was causing wallet functionality to beign disabled. This changes fast tho.
1. How about Bitcoind 0.14 prunning mode? Can i use prunning function and still have all wallet capabilities?
2. What downsides are there in using Bitcoind 0.14 - pruning mode? All of them.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6642

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 04:59:24 PM

Im curious, because new versions of bitcoin core coming so fast i can't keep up with new features and all wiki page's can't keep up also.

I wanted to ask about pruning mode because in Bitcoind 0.12 and 0.13 usage of prunning mode was causing wallet functionality to beign disabled. This changes fast tho.
1. How about Bitcoind 0.14 prunning mode? Can i use prunning function and still have all wallet capabilities?
You can use the wallet stuff while pruned. This functionality has been available since 0.12.0, it was only disabled in 0.11.x.

2. What downsides are there in using Bitcoind 0.14 - pruning mode? All of them.
  • If the blockchain or the databases corrupt, you will need to redownload the entire blockchain in order to reindex.
  • You won't be able to import addresses or private keys
  • You won't be helping the network as much as you won't be able to bring new nodes up to sync or out of sync nodes back up to sync.
There may be more, but that's all the important ones I can think of right now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: