Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:50:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to find server key?  (Read 278 times)
crazymadogy2 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 08:09:36 PM

Hi I was inquiring as to where I can find out what my server key is? It's a really long number set with random numbers, letters, and symbols. How do I go about finding this on my computer?
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 08:18:08 PM

What exactly do you mean? It's completely unclear what server you're talking about, and what kind of key you want.
You should describe what you actually want to do.

Onkel Paul

crazymadogy2 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 08:25:26 PM

Hi sorry. It's for a bitcoin generator. It asks for a server key, which I think just refers to my computer? I'm sorry I am so new I don't really even know.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6653

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 08:28:35 PM

There is no such thing as a "bitcoin generator". There is Bitcoin mining, but modern mining software will not be useful with CPUs or GPUs for mining, and most have those functionalities disabled or removed.

Whatever "bitcoin generator" you have is either a virus, or a scam, or both. It is probably asking you for a private key, which is something that you use for spending your Bitcoin. DO NOT GIVE ANYONE YOUR PRIVATE KEYS AS THAT GIVES THEM THE ABILITY TO STEAL YOUR BITCOIN.

Whatever "bitcoin generator" you have, you should get rid of it immediately and do an immediate malware scan.

OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 08:40:31 PM

What achow101 says...!

It might be interesting to know what kind of software you have there, so others can be properly warned.
If you have some really old legitimate mining software (from the time when mining with CPUs or GPUs was still possible) the "server key" might be a key from a mining pool which would be used to allocate fractional block rewards to the people running the miners on their computer. But that time is long gone.
Bitcoin mining today is only possible with special-purpose hardware, and mining profitably requires a lot of knowledge and access to cheap electricity.
Just forget about it for the moment (you might look into it again after you have learned about how bitcoin works, but even then you will most likely find that you can't mine bitcoins for profit at home).

Onkel Paul

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: